Author Topic: Camping Handguns  (Read 23340 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camping Handguns
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
Hello Bill and welcome, sounds like you were in the movie industry during a better time, with better actors.

Any stories about this actor?

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
Bill.. to start a new topic for discussion you just go click on " new topic" button  and you are good to go.

Looks like you could start many new topics and keep us all entertained with some good stories.

Welcome.. :)

You have to be at the top level in the Forum for this to work. Go to the yellow options bar at the top Click on Forum. Then select the proper forum for your post - like Politics & RKBA for a political post, the Cafe for general interest, etc. Click on the forum you want, and you should see a button toward the top right called "New Topic". Click that and you are on your way.

Welcome to the site, and boy would I love to hear your stories. Start with Bill Holden.

Know anyone at Winddancer? My only contact with Hollyweird.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Landor

• Forum Member
  • RTKBA.com
    • Right to Keep and Bear Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
An XD45 with three mag on me and 100 rounds in the car or tent depending on where I am camping.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »
My idea of 'roughing it' is having to leave the room to get ice. ;)

My idea of camping I always said was the Holiday Inn.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »
My idea of camping I always said was the Holiday Inn.

YEP! 

Friend "Let's go camping".

Me  "I'll see you at the bar in the nearest Holiday Inn". ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:15:55 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
My camping days have pretty much ended.  Not by choice, but wife's idea of camping is like you Holiday Inn guys and mine is a sleeping bag out in the open (as I age I like a lawn chair).  I used to ride motorcycle all over and bed was any place I could both park the bike and unroll the bag.  There were many nights I was chased out of city parks and rest areas for sleeping on the tables in the picnic shelters when it was raining, but that might have been because I rode the bike in there as well.

As for the actual topic - I don't see camping as being any different than a back up gun when hiking or hunting.  I like my single action revolvers when I clean up in the grove and pasture for the same reason I like them for back up when hunting - they are trouble free and VERY forgiving when it comes to mud, slush and shit manure.  I'm clumsy and tend to fall when I step in it and slip.  I have found that my primary hunting revolver is also very good even though it is a double action.  I had it so coated with ice once that it would not cycle double, but I could operate it as single action.  I don't carry it as a back up, because it is a 6 1/2" S&W 500 PC.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
Hi twyacht,

I did work with Chuck Heston on one movie.  That was the first Planet of the Apes.  You may not like my whole answer, but here goes. 

To begin with, most actors are exceptional people in many ways, and Chuck was no exception.  He was very serious about his profession and his work, but had a great sense of fun and humor.  I think there were times when he might have felt a bit overwhelmed by the roles he was asked to play - Michelangelo, Moses, El Cid, Ben Hur . . .    Who wouldn't be?  He did mention to me one day that probably his favorite role was the Mexican policeman that he did in the movie with Orson Wells.  Funny - I can't remember the name of the movie right now, but I'm sure you know it.  ". . . something . . . Evil".

I've got to preface the next bit with the following.  Up to the year I retired, I NEVER heard any talk touching on politics on the set.  This divisive - us v. them mentality - is a very new thing.  Actors found grounds for respect, and even friendship, in the talents of their coworkers.  That common ground made for some strange combinations at times - when seen from hindsight (or from these polarized times).  One of the movies I worked with Duke Wayne on, also starred Rock Hudson (who preferred being called Roy).   Now, Rock was a name given to him by his agent, who ONLY represented gay men.  Roy's sexual preference was no secret in the business, and Duke and Roy got along famously.  They were about the same size and were like two BIG kids.  I'm sure that the same was true when Duke worked with Monty Clift on the classic, Red River.  Just a lot of respect between acting peers. 

The lack of political, or personal, differences intruding on the work was unknown - except in the case of strong feuds, such as between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - and explains half the observation I'd like to make in regard to Chuck Heston.  I felt bad for him because I think he was sandbagged from both sides, by two different groups.  First the NRA - then Michael Moore's film crew.

Let me explain the second side of that statement.  I've had a couple of close friends who have gone down the same path to oblivion that struck both Heston and Reagan.  It is not an easy ride.  One friend never drank, but as his mind and memory began to go he drank more and more.  It was his excuse, or rationalization, for the loss that he could not reconcile.  I had no contact with Chuck Heston in these years, but I understand from friends who did, that he began to lose the fun and humor as he concentrated so hard to find the present.

I've owned guns my whole life, except for the years I lived in England, and am an NRA member.  But I'll never remember Chuck Heston as representing any group.  I think of him representing all of us through his work as so many unforgettable characters, and representing himself, as the funny, balanced and artistically fulfilled man that he was.  A nice guy, seeking continued growth.

Someone asked me about Bill Holden, but I never met the man.  Saw him around a few times, but never met him.

Please don't add any undeserved validity to my anecdotal musings.  I'm just an artist who fell into a pretty decent way for one of my ilk to make a living.  The only difference between my work and that of a brick layer is that a number of the folks I worked with are known to the public.  I just love living on this Mud-Ball, and my art and my children are keys to that. 

I did not add a website to my sign-up info for this site, because I have a few.  One aspect of my life can be viewed at www.mcallisterpaintings.com.  My whole life, I've thrilled at taking sheets of blank paper and changing it forever with puddles of pigment.  I've also loved placing sheets of paper down range and tearing them up with bits of lead and copper. 

Im better at the first than the later.

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »
K39 your art is excellent, some are like photographs, but your attention to detail is very much like a camera.,  it's there whether you like it or not. Captured the moment. Thanks.

Favorite camping handgun is my Glock 21, .45 acp, 2 mags  full of Black Talon, or XST, and a bag full of 185 gr, semiwadcutters,  In the woods, I keep the pistol loaded with the hard stuff, but a spare 15 round mag full of the SWC'S, If I meet trouble I'm ready, if I find small game or just targets of convenience the SWC's take over.. Just a quick mag change. The 185's are loaded light and very accurate, but punch a big square hole..

In the more dangerous woods, here in Texas, I carry my 4" model 57 S&W .41 magnum, with the hot stuff and lots of speedloaders.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »
k39Noodles, you simply reinforce my belief that all the worth while knowledge of mankind can be accessed through this forum.
We have writers, factory workers, people from the oil industry, Military, Law enforcement, and any other field or endeavor imaginable, and if your question doesn't fall into any of those catagories some one will know where to look to find the answer.
This forum is in microcosm the best of America.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
k39Noodles, you simply reinforce my belief that all the worth while knowledge of mankind can be accessed through this forum.
We have writers, factory workers, people from the oil industry, Military, Law enforcement, and any other field or endeavor imaginable, and if your question doesn't fall into any of those catagories some one will know where to look to find the answer.
This forum is in microcosm the best of America.

Bullseye!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk