Author Topic: Camping Handguns  (Read 23338 times)

tumblebug

Re: Camping Handguns
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
 +10

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Thank you k39Noodles,

"But I'll never remember Chuck Heston as representing any group.  I think of him representing all of us through his work as so many unforgettable characters, and representing himself, as the funny, balanced and artistically fulfilled man that he was."

I agree and you phrased it perfectly. Welcome (again).

Another option of a "camping gun" could be the S&W 460V, it shoots the .45lc, 454 Casull and the .460 S&W Magnum, without changing anything. It would cover any "4 legged, let alone 2 legged" situation while camping.

Although the pool area at the Holiday Inn doesn't allow glass or firearms. ;)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

atmiller

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
If I'm going to be plinking, I take my Ruger 22/45.  For self defense I take my XD-45. 

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
The movie that Charlton Heston starred in as a Mexican police is "Touch of Evil" with Orson Welles.  Great performances by both actors.  Favorite movie(s) with Heston are "The Warlord", "Will Penny" and Khartoum and "Touch of Evil".  Thanks k39noodles.
DesertMarine

Galeth005

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
seeing as we ahve gone off topic and i feel like putting my two pennies in to the handgun topic... as i have realized over the course of the last year playing with my guns, buying guns, researching guns, hunting with guns... ect.. i have discovered 2 things...
1) I do not like revolvers...
    i love their safety features and the fact that a good one will never stop.. i just dont like the feel and fit of them.
2) My favorite calibure is the 9mm... not as much takedown as the 45 or 40... but still enough to get the job done

however the area i go camping in has rather large animals.. such as brown bears and wolves of some sort.. so i carry a 1911 in 45... as well as a rifle, either a springfield m1a soccom II or my old trusty browning 30-06
Don't let their IGNORANCE take away YOUR rights!!!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:14:02 PM »

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Hi M25,

I think the photographic comparison is a fair one.  I was always a fair draftsman and love to draw.  One element that you are seeing is the paintings that seem the most photographic, as far as the seeming detail, are the larger paintings.  When they are reduced from 30" x 42" down to fit your computer screen, they appear VERY tight.

Designing motion pictures is a unique discipline, and I always said that my paintings made me a better art director, and my film work made me a better painter.  My film work was viewed in a two-dimensional format.  The final work was projected onto a flat screen.  Part of my job was to create the depth to add the third dimension.  As often as possible this was accomplished by the inclusion of foreground, mid-ground and background.  This is also fully explored in my paintings. 

More important to both artistic endeavors, is establishing the light source and using it to full, visual advantage.  I do love light, and could not do either job without it.  I show my appreciation by making it the lead character whenever possible.

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »
Hi HAZCAT,

I always used to say that my idea of camping was drinking the house wine at Morton's. 

I really used to enjoy bird hunting.  I guess it was strolling through the fields on a beautiful California morning.  I don't do that these days, but still have an occasional "perfect day".  That consists of getting out to a remote spot, doing some serious plinking for a couple of hours, then get down to business.  We lock up the guns and break out the food and wine for a great picnic.  Given the opportunity, any meal tastes better outdoors. 

But when the sun dips into Mother Earth and the mosquitoes come out, it's never a tent that I turn to, but off to Morton's - where the only thing I might have to shoot is a Champagne cork.

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Hi Bill,

Yep, old bones don't take the hard ground and damp air (or at least that's one of the excuses I use ;) )

Haz
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
Camping is having to use the shampoo you find in the little bathroom basket in your hotel room.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »
seeing as we ahve gone off topic and i feel like putting my two pennies in to the handgun topic... as i have realized over the course of the last year playing with my guns, buying guns, researching guns, hunting with guns... ect.. i have discovered 2 things...
1) I do not like revolvers...
    i love their safety features and the fact that a good one will never stop.. i just dont like the feel and fit of them.
2) My favorite calibure is the 9mm... not as much takedown as the 45 or 40... but still enough to get the job done

however the area i go camping in has rather large animals.. such as brown bears and wolves of some sort.. so i carry a 1911 in 45... as well as a rifle, either a springfield m1a soccom II or my old trusty browning 30-06

I like your choices when camping.  How do you like your SoccomII?  I carried an M14 in the Corps for a short while and never really liked it but that one looks interesting.  Can't beat that Browning 30-06, made in Belguim?
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk