Author Topic: 1911 help  (Read 24445 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1911 help
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 05:58:04 AM »
I've got a Sig Revolution. very nice upgrade trigger, Nitron finish, night sights. It cost about 785.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:26 AM »
I picked up a Kimber Custom II at a gun show for $800 last November.  It's my first 1911 and I am hooked.  This is one purchase that I see feeding off of itself.

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
I think that, for the money, it is pretty hard to beat any 1911 that Dan Wesson makes.  They are made entirely in the US, and he uses some essential parts from the best custom makers.  A lot from Dan Brown.  The only thing I wanted to replace was the magazine, and at $30 a pop, for a Wilson Combat, that's not a very expensive improvement.  Why can't anyone but Wilson make a totally reliable 1911 magazine?  The only additional improvement I can even think of for this pistol is to loan it to a better shooter.

I chose a bobtail Commander for ease of carry, but the full size is a dream, and probably my next handgun purchase.

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
Ditto on the Rock Island 1911.
I had one last year and upon close inspection I found it to be a well built pistol.
I gave it to my son and it turned in splendid performance for him also.
My heart still beats for my Colts, though.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
Ditto on the Rock Island 1911.
I had one last year and upon close inspection I found it to be a well built pistol.
I gave it to my son and it turned in splendid performance for him also.
My heart still beats for my Colts, though.

Some where (on a previous thread here I think) I heard that they were built on machines buoght from Colt under the supervision of a former Colt Engineer, so basically the same pistol for 1/2 the money. With the exception that it out shoots any of the Colts (civilian or military) that I have shot.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:31:00 PM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »
+ 1 on the Rock Island guns. I have one and it is CRAZY better than the $389 MSRP I paid...

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
<------------------------------------------  ahem
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
Thank you, to everyone, for the great suggestions.  This gives me a good starting point before heading to the gun shop to test the "feel" factor.  I always like to hear from people who actually own and shoot the guns in question, rather than take a dealers word for it.  (The more expensive brand or model is always much  better!  ::))  Also, I had never heard of Armscor / Rock Island before, so at that price and with the recommendations of Mr. Bane and good ol' tombogan, I may have to buy two.   ;D  Thanks again, and if anyone has more suggestions (pistols or modifications), please help a 1911 newbie out.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
Thank you, to everyone, for the great suggestions.  This gives me a good starting point before heading to the gun shop to test the "feel" factor.  I always like to hear from people who actually own and shoot the guns in question, rather than take a dealers word for it.  (The more expensive brand or model is always much  better!  ::))  Also, I had never heard of Armscor / Rock Island before, so at that price and with the recommendations of Mr. Bane and good ol' tombogan, I may have to buy two.   ;D  Thanks again, and if anyone has more suggestions (pistols or modifications), please help a 1911 newbie out.

Swoop
Two modifications I made to mine, I replaced the smooth wood grips with a pair of rubber grips from Hogue, and I put a drop of yellow fingernail polish on the front sight.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk