Author Topic: 1911 help  (Read 24440 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: 1911 help
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the link. I didn't even know that RIA made a compact 1911.
With a little polish and tuning, it would make a heck of a carry gun.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »
I'm glad you RIA guys have had good luck with yours, I've only had experience with one, about 4 years ago, a friend bought one at the gun show, where one of our big distributors were selling them for 250.00 bucks, hard to go wrong at that price. He shot it and it did work with ball, but he was hitting 7 o'clock on the targets pretty low. He brought it to me for a trigger job, as the trigger was somewhere around 8 pounds, had to use my fish scale to measure it. The initial trigger job didn't work very well, normal procedures produced a 3 lb trigger that would not release after the slide was cycled, I reworked the disconnector, and went over my work twice. After that I installed a used Colt sear, disconnector and commander hammer, that I had worked over previously and voila, 3 lbs. At the range the pistol ran fine, and now shot to point of aim, due mainly to the lighter pull.

I think Para, S&W, Springfield Armory, Kimber and Sig all have great pistols in that price range with a lot of features. I do favor the Para LDA,  what a usable trigger. My advice is to pick up one of these pistols for 700-800 bucks or less, and then you can afford magazines, a holster and some ammo to practice with. Get one with high visibility sights, night sights even, a beavertail grip safety, and go from there. The grip safety is not a deal breaker as they can be had pretty cheap, and even gunsmith installation is not or should not be very high. I charge 25 bucks labor for one I have to round the frame horns on.

Side note, Alan Smith of S&A magwells, grip safeties and such, taught me a good trick when fitting grip safeties, you put a notch in the top of the arm that presses the spring for the safety, so it clears the hammer pin, then you don't have to lower the mainspring housing to remove it. Cool tip.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »
I think that, for the money, it is pretty hard to beat any 1911 that Dan Wesson makes.  They are made entirely in the US, and he uses some essential parts from the best custom makers.  A lot from Dan Brown.  The only thing I wanted to replace was the magazine, and at $30 a pop, for a Wilson Combat, that's not a very expensive improvement.  Why can't anyone but Wilson make a totally reliable 1911 magazine?  The only additional improvement I can even think of for this pistol is to loan it to a better shooter.

I chose a bobtail Commander for ease of carry, but the full size is a dream, and probably my next handgun purchase.

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

Novak, I have 1 that came with my Rock Island, and 4 more I bought for $14.99/each

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
I think Para, S&W, Springfield Armory, Kimber and Sig all have great pistols in that price range with a lot of features. I do favor the Para LDA,  what a usable trigger. My advice is to pick up one of these pistols

I still haven't made it to my local gun shop... alas, so little time.  However, I have been researching these recommendations on the company web sites, as well as GA.  Since the 1911s are more reasonably priced than I had initially thought, I will probably buy one that I can wreak havoc with straight out of the box (Para LDA high cap. does seem pretty sweet) and hopefully also purchase (if not now, soon) a "cheapo" that I can play with (RIA, or maybe a Spartan).  Thanks for the tip, also m25operator.  All are greatly appreciated.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

darwin-t

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
If you want to try a Rock Island, I would pass on the G.I. model unless you WANT a replica of the old military pistols. You'd want to replace the sights, put on a beavertail (the grip safety tang on the RIA is so short that it may give you "hammer bite" - technically speaking it's "grip safety bite" but it feels the same.). The front sight is staked some replacement sights are limited.

They sell a tactical model that has better sights, a lowered port and a nice beavertail. They also sell a match model that is hand fitted.

IIRC, the STI Spartan is made by the same factory that makes the RIA. The difference is that STI sends their own internal parts to the factory for installation in their pistols.

I have a G.I. model and love it. I put Crimson Trace grips on it, painted the front sight blade white and don't mind the tiny sights as much as I thought I would. The other models don't cost that much more that the G.I. model.It's my carry pistol

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:34:33 AM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
For $1500, It's pretty open territory. I'd probably get a Springfield or Kimber for that kind of money. 
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

MEBER #1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
I currently have a para ssp gun rights edition and it has feeding issues. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck Norris dosen't sleep, he waits.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
I currently have a para ssp gun rights edition and it has feeding issues. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need more info on the feeding issues.
What is it doing or not doing? Failing to feed? Bullet nose hitting/hanging om ramp? Cartridge standing sraight up instead of feeding?
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MEBER #1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
nose hitting ramp and cartridge standing straight up. I purchased this pistol three weeks ago. I took it back to the store I bought it from and they polished the feed ramp this did not help so they told me that they would have to send it back to para.
Chuck Norris dosen't sleep, he waits.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
If you haven't already, try different mags.  Borrow Wilson or Chip McCormick.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk