Author Topic: My thoughts on 1911 carry  (Read 20592 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carry
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:40:22 AM »
"The 1911 was primarily designed and used as a military combat pistol carried openly in a holster for most of it's history. When I use a 1911 design that is how I carry it."

"“Can” a 1911 be a great defense and carry gun?  You bet."

With the compacts, and sub compacts, and other 1911 variants, the right rig can easily make one used for CCW. Kimber Ultra is a nice one with the traditional features. But I agree, it's  NOT a rookie pistol.

However, with gun evolution, one can keep caliber, without the 1911 frame style. Like the Kahr PM45, shorter than the G36, slimmer,and lighter. DAO. A little more user friendly, for those who don't want a "cocked and locked" situation. Although, Kahr's and Kimber's are pricey, for those who want the .45, one's out there.

All LEO's here in S.E. NC, that want to carry a .45, of any style, have to go through additional training and qualify with it.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »
That will do it ;D The two loudest sounds on earth are a click when you expect a bang and a bang when you expect a click.
   haha   +1
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carryA glo
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »
Great replies.

Just want to say a couple things, when I wrote this I meant it as someone new to firearms and not very experienced. Thats what I meant by it not being a the best choice in that circumstance.

A Glock is one of the safest firearms ever made.

And I think that a 1911 is the best choice, for someone with experience, for self defense, war time pistol, and all out duty weapon.
But it needs to be maintained, hence needing experience. You can not run it like a Glock in Iraq. It will take everynight while in your tent to clean, lube, and love it. But that all becomes a routine, cause you should be doing the same to your M-16\M-4.
Did we win???

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
I started out with a KelTec P11. I wanted a foolproof pistol and the long, heavy trigger pull was just the ticket, or so I thought. They are pretty hard to shoot accurately BECAUSE of the trigger pull.The internal parts broke so often I lost trust in it.

I eventually switched to 1911s. I think they are very safe because of the multiple  safeties. I would never carry a Glock or similar pistol. They are too easy to have a negligent or accidental discharge, IMHO.

I have ingrained myself with the habits of never placing my finger in the trigger guard unless/until I am sighted on a target. My thumb always goes on the top of the thumb safety as I draw it.

If I handle a pistol to move it, etc I don't grip it normally. I grasp it around the center. This way nothing is going to press the trigger or deactivate the grip safety.

For full disclosure, I've gotten much more aware of safety since I shot myself in the leg in January.

As to the Glock bashing comment........ I think you are drinking too much of that far left Kool Aid.

As to the shooting yourself in the leg comment....... I would be very interested to see you do a thread explaining what actually happened.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Ksail101, I don't believe the Glock is one of the safest handguns ever made!  I believe any handgun with a safety that is taken off when you put your finger on the trigger is unsafe.  I also do not like the XD because of the grip safety.  I also do not like the HK P7 "Sgueeze Cocker" had my only AD with one.  Don't know too much about the other plastic pistols.

I believe the shooter makes the weapon safe and I've heard too many AD stories!  That being said, would I have any of these weapons?  I would/might buy any of them except the P7 (I don't like the sights and price).

JMHOFWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:14:04 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »
I own and carry both 1911's and a Glock 27 sub-compact.
I carried a 1911 for 15 years (I'm a big fella'). But, circumstances change and now I carry the Glock mostly.
I would rather carry the 1911 instead of the Glock but the Glock is so much lighter and easier to conceal in my climate, that I carry it 75% of the time.
My main issue with the Glock was getting used to the fact that it had no manual safety other than a trigger blocking mechanism.
I guess I'm old school because I still don't care for DA autos with a de-cocker. I could never get used to the hammer falling with a round in the chamber and it not going boom.
I cut my handgun 'teeth' on 1911's and I am more comfortable with a cocked-and-locked 1911 than anything else. But I also believe that 'creature-comfort' plays a big role. A gun at home ain't gonna help if I'm in town.
That being said, I don't 'distrust' my Glock (if I did, I would not carry it), I'm just more aware that it is a totally different manual of arms than a 1911.

Good training can overcome apprehension.
Practice, practice, practice.

:D

Hope my babbling made sense.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »
I carried a G- 22 for 17 years, it was too big for my hand to shoot consistantly off handed, it was not that accurate, it never had a FTF , feed , fire or battery problem. It ate everything and was consistant in the grouping. I sold it and bought what I think is a better side arm , my 1911, now dont get me wrong I would buy another if the damn thing fit my hand the way the 1911 does. The other pistol I carry is the PT 140 and I have had no issues since break in with it, and it fits. 8)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carryA glo
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

A Glock is one of the safest firearms ever made.

It depends on which side of the weapon you are on.  Besides, I just liked the irony of the statement.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
The "Train with it if you're gonna carry it" Statement is true about ALL GUNS. Know how to operate and maintain the gun you'll be betting your life on. Whether revolver, 1911, or GLOCK. My main carry is a revolver. BUT, I've carried 1911's (which I've been familiar with since before my dad taught me to shoot. He taught me to field strip one when I was 11 or 12.), GLOCK, and Ruger P90, which I also know how to operate. I've had an ND with a Kimber 1911, but also had one with the Ruger's longer heavier DA trigger (no one was hurt either time, thankfully.). The important thing with ANY gun, is to know how to operate it, and FOLLOW THE DAMN SAFETY RULES. Because they can ALL Be dangerous. 
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »
I just want to put out this thought and it is the last I want to have to defend Glocks, they do their own defending.

The reason why you all hear these crazy stories of Glocks and them AD ing is that there are so many of them in service. They hand these things to people with no experience with a Gun at the academy and then have people carry them who shouldnt be carrying guns anyway and BAM you got AD stories. I have seen more than my far share of Cops in Lynnwood, WA (the most corupt, scandless police force in America) that should never be anywhere near a gun none the less carry one on their belt everyday.

There is a scene in Blackhawk Down when the commander of the Rangers goes up to a Delta Force Operator and says "soldier you are carrying a Hot weapon there," the response "this is my safety" as he curls his finger in the face of the commander.
Did we win???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk