Author Topic: My thoughts on 1911 carry  (Read 20593 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carry
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
Some thoughts here...when Glocks first came into the country,they came in with relatively light triggers. Since the Glocks were the first popular striker-fired no-manually operated safety pistol, there were a spate of ADs as the guns were first integrated into law enforcement. I was one of the only gunwriters to flag the potential safety issues at that time (for which I took a substantial ration of 'Schumer'). Glock heavied up the production triggers shortly thereafter, and the rest is history.

I generally agree that some firearms lend themselves to the "expert carry" category for one reason or the other — the 1911 for a relatively complex manual of arms; a light-triggered Glock or any striker-fired pistol with a trigger-mounted safety and a light trigger pull, an H-K squeeze-cocker because of its non-intuitive cocking system. However, I strongly agree that any gun is dangerous if you don't understand how to manipulate it!

However, the 4 Rules solve all safety problems. I handle a lot of weird guns...some that cause me to say, what the heck? But the 4 Rules provide an absolute way for handling guns safely!

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »
Some thoughts here...when Glocks first came into the country,they came in with relatively light triggers. Since the Glocks were the first popular striker-fired no-manually operated safety pistol, there were a spate of ADs as the guns were first integrated into law enforcement. I was one of the only gunwriters to flag the potential safety issues at that time (for which I took a substantial ration of 'Schumer'). Glock heavied up the production triggers shortly thereafter, and the rest is history.

I generally agree that some firearms lend themselves to the "expert carry" category for one reason or the other — the 1911 for a relatively complex manual of arms; a light-triggered Glock or any striker-fired pistol with a trigger-mounted safety and a light trigger pull, an H-K squeeze-cocker because of its non-intuitive cocking system. However, I strongly agree that any gun is dangerous if you don't understand how to manipulate it!

However, the 4 Rules solve all safety problems. I handle a lot of weird guns...some that cause me to say, what the heck? But the 4 Rules provide an absolute way for handling guns safely!

Michael B

Amen, Brother......Well said.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

IMichael B

Michael,

AD's or ND's? I think there a huge difference. I have witnessed ND's with M9's and they may have the longest trigger pull known to mankind.
Michael I agree if you follow the 4 rules of firearms safety are the gold standard and can not be violated.

darwin-t

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »
I've been watching for stories about ADs and NDs for the past 6 months. Glocks seem to be involved in more than their fair share. Having said that, we all know that 100% of them resulted from someone having their finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been.

As for my story on my ND

http://negligentdischarge.com

Please be kind.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:35 PM »
The other day, I was informed that one of our city officers has been put on administrative leave for ND/AD with his duty Sig 220. Thankfully, no injuries. I'll bet he'd be the safest cop on the line now!

1911 -  Carrying a cocked and locked 1911 has to be about the safest method of carry. Pressure has to be applied in 3 directions. Back to front for the grip safety, down for the manual safety and front to back to press the trigger. But once you've had to draw your weapon is there a different story? How about threat management? The subject is complying with orders, and maybe a longer trigger pull would be beneficial in that high adrenaline situation. Maybe not. Mass Ayoob's given some examples in Combat Handguns. Could make the Para LDA the ultimate carry gun.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:09:21 PM »

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
I've been watching for stories about ADs and NDs for the past 6 months. Glocks seem to be involved in more than their fair share. Having said that, we all know that 100% of them resulted from someone having their finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been.

As for my story on my ND

Please be kind.

Ow. OW! Darn lucky the arteries didn't get severed. And the Hydra-shok fell apart and left frags in you to boot. What's up with that?

I'm passing the site on to a retired NYPD cop buddy who routinely handles his loaded firearms with a devil-may-care attitude. Incidentally, he's the same guy who told me the NYPD specced their service GLOCKS at a minimum 11 lb trigger pull after multiple AD/ND.  And an aside - his service weapon, which was supposed to be sent to him was 'accidentally' destroyed last year under Bloomberg. How do you 'accidentally' retrieve a vouchered PO weapon and burn it?

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »

As for my story on my ND

Please be kind.

Thanks for sharing the link...I'm passing it on to all my shooting friends.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

darwin-t

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »
Ow. OW! Darn lucky the arteries didn't get severed. And the Hydra-shok fell apart and left frags in you to boot. What's up with that?

Actually an artery WAS severed. It fused with a vein. That's called a fistula. It swelled up into a pseudo aneurysm. Artery bypass surgery fixed that, it went back to a fistula. Fistula finally fixed (I hope) with an angiogram. They put 10 platinum coils in my leg to cut off blood flow to the fistula. Still no luck with the severed nerve. The whole story is detailed in the updates page. I carry Hornaday TAPs now.Same pistol.

230therapy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carryA glo
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 12:03:44 AM »
It depends on which side of the weapon you are on.  Besides, I just liked the irony of the statement.

The brain is one of the most unsafe weapons ever made.
Does anyone actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 12:17:36 AM »
I can carry my Para LDA UNcocked and locked which I believe makes it safer than any single action 1911 and most DAOs. To me it seems to have most of the advantages of conventional 1911s and DAO autos. Most DAOs don't even have a safety so there are accidents waiting to happen. I also have heard about a lot of Glocks going bang when they shouldn't. But if you hang your pistol by the trigger when sitting on the toilet, maybe you deserve to be shot in the @$$. Anyone who can't handle a pistol safely shouldn't carry one. Unfortunately most of these Glock accidents are happening to cops.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk