Author Topic: My thoughts on 1911 carry  (Read 20591 times)

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carry
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
When I was issued the M1911A1 by Uncle Sam, I was required to function check the thumb and grip safety every time it was issued to me. I still do that w mine every time I saddle one up.

I know what you mean, BUT...

There are no perfect guns, and no perfect people. Stuff happens.

Some guns are by design closer to the edge in the real world of real people where stuff does happen. Guns that are easier to shoot when you want to are easier to shoot when you don't want to. Guns that are harder to shoot when you don't want to are harder to shoot when you do want to... There IS more to this than just teaching/learning the rules, and gun design IS a part of it.

A group of officers were put through several high stress scenarios w DA/SA autos w sensors on the triggers. Officers who were trained not to put their finger on the trigger until they shot often did so anyway, often w enough force to fire if they had been in SA mode. Most were unaware they had done it, and swore they did not, but they did.

Requiring a trigger pull in the field strip sequence is asking for trouble from less than perfect people too, and trouble often answers loudly.

Why from 2000 - 2004 there were 14 "unintentional" discharges during enforcement operations, and 88 during non enforcement ops in the DOJ. Why there were 8 w Glocks, 1 w a 1911, and 1 w a S&W revolver in the DEA in 2007 alone.

Some will be safer w a 1911 w a 1 lb trigger, pinned grip safety, and cut off trigger guard than some will w a DAO revolver w a 16 lb trigger, a Glock w a NY + trigger, or a M&P w a manual thumb safety. Most will not.

Let your judgement, training, and experience be your guide on your gun design.

As for the guy/gal next to ya at the range, in the stall at the mall, on your traffic stop, etc: Lady Luck is "la belle dame sans merci." And Murphy is her date/partner.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
Yeah..  but for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. And if you don't put your finger on the trigger or allow something to touch it.. there is no action. Also, Mr. Murphy didn't not have the gracitious opportunity to shoot or carry modern high quality handguns or his law might have been wrote with a different discord.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
I just thought of something. How often do you guys check your grip safety? I don't check mine very often.

Actually, without realizing it, I check mine often. Most times that I'm sitting around handling the 1911, I end up checking it.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk