Author Topic: Accuracy of JHP vs FMJ  (Read 25170 times)

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Accuracy of JHP vs FMJ
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »
For competition use, what's the difference between JHP and FMJ ammo? I've heard some folks argue that JHP is slightly more accurate, but I've never seen anything authoritative on the subject.

Your thoughts?
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Accuracy of JHP vs FMJ
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
I would have thought FMJ would be more accurate, but I kinda remember hearing about the JHP myself.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
In a given weight, a hollow point is usually longer, giving more bearing surface, especially in handgun ammunition, look at 45acp ball next to a HP and you will see a big difference. As to accuracy, I have had great luck with both, but in 9mm or .355 I definitely  give the nod to HP.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »
Decades ago hollowpoints weren't as accurate as FMJ because they weren't as consistent, but how there are several "premium" HPs such as XTPs that are generally more accurate than FMJ. It helps having a round hole in the middle instead a lopsided off-center hole that gave hollowpoints a bad rep way back when.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
Several shooters I have met when visitning Ben Avery in AZ swear by JHP.  It shocked me.  I thought that a smooth point would be better, but most of the ones I talked to that shoot .223 are using 69 grain JHP with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7.5 twist.  They told me not to get married to anything until I had tried several different bullets, powder loads and headspacing in my gun.  Then once I found what worked in my gun USE IT REGARDLESS OF WHAT OTHERS SAY!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:20:56 PM »

TSB

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
From Wikipedia, I lay no claim to the accuracy of the information but it does make sense...

'Where target shooting accuracy is the prime consideration, some bullets such as the Sierra "Matchking" incorporate a cavity in the nose section. This has the effect of lightening the bullet's forward section and shifting the center of gravity towards the tail of the bullet, so as to give an improved ballistic coefficient, greater down-range velocity retention, and greater resistance to deflection by crosswinds. Match or target hollow-point bullets are designed for precision target use, and no consideration is given to their expansion or other terminal ballistic performance. The United States military, for example, uses hollow-point bullets in some sniper rifles for their exceptional accuracy at long ranges, and believes that the hollow point does not result in significantly different wounds than full metal jacket ammunition in practice.  Some hunters, however, have reported good expansion characteristics and quick, humane kills from hollow-point target bullets.

A boat tail hollow point bullet is a match grade bullet design that uses the concept of a teardrop like shape to give it a lower drag coefficient and make it produce less turbulence in its wake. Only the base of the bullet has a boat tail like shape, the ogive is still pointed, it can also have an open tip for even better accuracy at long ranges.'

Any Marine Snipers feel free to add anything to the above.  I can't see 1000 yards let alone hit something at that yardage.  It's my understanding that at 1000 yards of distance a 50 cal sniper round drops some 320 inches by gravity alone!

Tim

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Where target shooting accuracy is the prime consideration, some bullets incorporate a cavity in the nose section. This has the effect of lightening the bullet's forward section and shifting the center of gravity towards the tail of the bullet, so as to give an improved ballistic coefficient, greater down-range velocity retention, and greater resistance to deflection by crosswinds. Match or target hollow-point bullets are designed for precision target use, and no consideration is given to their expansion or other terminal ballistic performance. The United States military, for example, uses hollow-point bullets in some sniper rifles for their exceptional accuracy at long ranges, and believes that the hollow point does not result in significantly different wounds than full metal jacket ammunition in practice.

A boat tail hollow point bullet is a match grade bullet design that uses the concept of a teardrop like shape to give it a lower drag coefficient and make it produce less turbulence in its wake. Only the base of the bullet has a boat tail like shape, the ogive is still pointed, it can also have an open tip for even better accuracy at long ranges.

I got this off wickepedia and believe these reasons to be true based on my experience and info over the years. Hopes this helps.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
I'm not sure how much of the rifle stuff applies to handguns too. It could be that non-match FMJ pistol bullets are just generic chunks of metal that have to go down range, but they don't have to be very high quality. Just a thought.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
I honestly don't think you would see a diffrence with good bullets.   I know guys that swear by both.

What was mentioned above about JHP being longer is true, which  would allow you to seat them a little deeper, would would decrease the case volume.  Which would increase presure.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:46:48 AM »
I honestly don't think you would see a diffrence with good bullets.   I know guys that swear by both.

What was mentioned above about JHP being longer is true, which  would allow you to seat them a little deeper, would would decrease the case volume.  Which would increase presure.

May be dependent on what your hand gun "likes" rather than any MAJOR difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk