Author Topic: .357 Mag for Hunting???  (Read 22589 times)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.357 Mag for Hunting???
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
I dont know where this topic fits in as a catagory and I know that this forum mostly deals with the shooting\recreation side of firearms use, but I, as all here know by now I have a .357 levergun, want to know about the .357 mag's ability and use for hunting.

Have any of you ever hunted with a .357 pistol or rifle? if so what, and I feel total confidence, as do others I have spoken to, that within a 100 yards it is a formidable deer cartridge, but I would like to hear more thoughts on this and stories of accomplishing this task.

Also besides deer loading up with .38's in said rifle/pistol is the hunting of small game ok? I would like to do Rabbit, Raccoon, and Coyote hunting this year.
Did we win???

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: .357 Mag for Hunting???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
Your .357 will do the job for deer. As far as rabbits,coons and even coyote, your hooked up!!
With the new Hornady Flex Tip you'll have all you need to do the job.

.357 140gr. (18"barrel)
1850 velocity at the muzzle - 1632 at 50yds - 1438 at 100yds - 1272 at 150yrds

I have .357 mag pistol and used it on rabbits and coyotes. Hunted coyotes at night and didn't shot anything past 50yrds.
Give it a go and report back on how it does.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
A .357 magnum will work on whitetails nicely.
A friends dad has taken several whitetails with a .357 magnum loaded with handloads. I can't remember the load data, though.
I think he was using a scoped T/C Contender with a 10" barrel. He also carried a Ruger GP-100 for backup.
I do know that all shots were less than 75 yards.

Best of luck to you.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
The .357 mag will kill white tails nicely, the only caveat, is with less than 180 bullets, the bullet might not exit, and you will have little or no blood trail to follow, IF they run.

Complete agreement with the smaller game, good choice.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:29:32 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
Here's where you go for no BS ammo.

http://www.buffalobore.com/

180 gr. LFN-GC (1400 fps ME 783 ft. lbs.) Per Box of 20
$25.40

18.5 inch Marlin 1894

a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
Sweet thanks!!!!

Yeah I have heard great things about the LeveRevolution from Hornady and even watched the video on their website, which is really cool, but I will definately check out everything you guys have sent me as well.
Did we win???

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
Many of the major manufacturers make .357 ammo designed specifically for hunting.... might want to give them a look.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »
you know when you actually look at the numbers for 357 out of a rifle and 30-30.   they are not far off( atleast from the factory.

example:

rem  core lock 150 grainers( I would bet that more deer have been killed with this the any other loading on the market.)

Muzzle Velocity: 2390 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1902 ft. lbs.

now the BB  158 grainer

c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Speer Uni Core = 2153 fps  my math says thats 1626

thats only around 15% diffrence... now I know BB actually test thier stuff in real guns( my exp has been thier numbers are right on), not test barrels.  I am unsure of how rem tests thier ammo.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:01:20 PM »
Interesting information from TAB.  I have heard for years that the 30-30 has killed more deer than any other round.

Looked up .357 Mag on the Sierra reloading manual.  They use a Marlin 1894 and show the 158 gr JHC and JSP bullets in a rifle load.  Max velocity they show is 1800 fps with energy at 1136.  Sierra does load conservatively.  What I am curious about is the differences in downrange performance between the 30-30 rifle bullet and .357 handgun bullet.  Though not very popular, the .357 has been considered a good, short range caliber for deer for quite some time. 

Looked at the BB website information, very interesting.
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk