Author Topic: .357 Mag for Hunting???  (Read 22586 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .357 Mag for Hunting???
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
It's nice to hear that the Puma is really working for you Ksail. I've really wanted one of those myself for a long time. I think it's a great caliber for all around protection, eatin' (if you have to) etc., and you can stuff those rounds in your revolver as well. Good all around.
Someday....
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »
It's nice to hear that the Puma is really working for you Ksail. I've really wanted one of those myself for a long time. I think it's a great caliber for all around protection, eatin' (if you have to) etc., and you can stuff those rounds in your revolver as well. Good all around.
Someday....

Doomsday gun/caliber
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »
Am I the only one here who wants a .357 Maximum lever gun? I think it would be easy to convert a Winchester 94 .357 Magnum since it was designed to handle rifle length cartridges. I don't know for sure which rifles could or could not be converted over.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:47 PM »
Confused, I am.  Maximum or Magnum?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »
Confused, I am.  Maximum or Magnum?

.357 Maximum was the first of the "super" calibers, it's 1/16 inch longer than the Magnum, Ruger came out with it in the Blackhawk in the early 80's but they had trouble with it eroding the top strap at the cylinder gap so they discontinued it. Calibers like .454 and .500 S&W were not possible until that problem was overcome. (I don't know what they did to eliminate the problem.) As far as I know the only current source of ammo is handloading, and I don't think any other fire arms were chambered for it.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:38:38 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »
Something like a 'super 45 colt' I heard of.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 11:33:27 PM »
Yes, a .357 magnum magnum.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »
.357 Maximum was the first of the "super" calibers, it's 1/16 inch longer than the Magnum, Ruger came out with it in the Blackhawk in the early 80's but they had trouble with it eroding the top strap at the cylinder gap so they discontinued it. Calibers like .454 and .500 S&W were not possible until that problem was overcome. (I don't know what they did to eliminate the problem.) As far as I know the only current source of ammo is handloading, and I don't think any other fire arms were chambered for it.

More like 5/16 of an inch longer than the .357 Magnum. The .357 Maximum AKA .357 Super Magnum is more than twice as powerful as the .357 Magnum. Dan Wesson made revolvers for it too and some included an extra barrel in case it wore out. Thompson Center and some other companies made single shot pistols for it. The gas cutting problems were mostly from people trying to make hyper-velocity handloads with 110 and 125 grain bullets instead of the 158 and 180 grain bullets it was designed for. It works great in Contenders and other single shot pistols. Brand new ammo is available in nine different loads from 140 -  225 grains from Reeds Ammo http://www.reedsammo.com/ and remanufactured ammo is available from Precision Cartridge, Inc. http://www.precisioncartridge.com/ in original R-P cases. It was designed for silhouette shooting and hunting and works great for both. Out of a 10" Contender the muzzle energy is higher than most .44 Magnum loads and about equal to an M16 rifle/M4 carbine. Out of a rifle length barrel it would be an excellent caliber for deer size game. Anything the .44 Magnum does the .357 Maximum does with a flatter trajectory.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »
I stand corrected  ;D but I KNOW that T/C is no longer making a barrel for this caliber as I worked on more than 1/2 the center fire barrels they manufactured between 01 and 04 (first shift was 8 hr's and kind of slow, I worked 10 hr's and went for count  ;D) and never ran across a batch of them. If you are looking for a barrel for this, or any other non standard caliber, I remember seeing special orders come through for a Contender /Encore collectors group that made group purchases of odd calibers and barrel lengths. I forget the name of the group but a google search should find them.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
I had a .357 maximum in a Wichita international, looks like a 1911 frame, but a tip up barrel, 10", wish I still had it, 180 grains bullets at 1600 fps, chronographed, 158 - 160 grain, 1800 fps, 125's over 2000 fps.

The ruger was called the SRM. True, TC and  Dan Wesson both offered this caliber.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk