Author Topic: My new pocket rocket  (Read 22291 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My new pocket rocket
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Yes, I joined the Mouse Gun Club the other day. I bought a Kel-Tec P32 at a local sporting goods store that looks just like this one:

I had been trying to track down either a .32 or a .380 for weeks now, and every single gun store in my state has been out (believe me, I called them all repeatedly) and each said that it would be months before they would get more in. I did find one P3AT, but I was not going to pay the $360 they were asking for it - they all but laughed at my cash offer of $300. I got this P32 simply by being in the right place at the right time - they had just gotten two in their delivery about an hour earlier, and the lady who got to the gun counter just before me bought the first one. I paid $250 for the little pea shooter, which is not bad considering the supply/demand issues we are seeing post election.

I have not been to the range yet, but I have to say that I am very impressed so far. The quality of the gun seems top notch. It weighs in at a meager 6.9 oz on my postal scale and 10.1 oz fully loaded. That puts it at roughly 1 oz lighter then the P3AT and approximately 2 oz lighter then the LCP. The .32 mag also packs 7 rounds where as the .380 is limited to 6. There is a trade off of 50 ft/pds of energy in the .32 vs .380, but thats fine by me.

I really have been impressed with the mag release..... its really the perfect size, shape, and location.... not to mention that it practically throws the mag across the room when you depress it. It has the updated and beefier extractor so after a feed ramp polish, I feel very confident that functionality wont be a problem. This is also my first single stack handgun, so that is really nice.

I bought this little squirt basically to fill the deep cover need for a "GAT" (shout out - Michael Bane) when circumstances and attire dictate that I cant carry my Glock 26. (Just as an aside, I picked up my 26 after a couple days of handling only the Kel-Tec, and I wont say it "felt like a brick", but rather a Ton of Bricks - Wow, super heavy).  

I also purchased a DeSantis Nemesis for pocket carry:

Man, this holster is AWESOME! It really does a remarkable job displacing the 10 oz of weight and really makes it feel no heavier then a cellphone in the pocket. I have also found it remarkable that it stays in the pocket EVERY SINGLE TIME I draw! Additionally, it does a wonderful job at breaking up the outline of the pistol and makes any printing look like a billfold - Wallet carry is great with this holster as well. Above all, the thing I have to say I like most about this holster/gun combo is the fact that I can have my hand in my pocket and on the gun with it looking as casual and nonthreatening as anyone else with their hand in their pocket. I can go from discreet "standing there guy" to putting a gun in your face in under two seconds.

Right now I am carrying Federal Hydra shocks (very deep hallow points, by the way), but may switch over to Corbons to get the absolute most energy I can out of this gun.

It will be several weeks before I can get to have a little range time, but I will give a full rundown when I can find the time to go..... and if I can find some ball ammo for the break in.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

Re: My new pocket rocket
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
 Some one let me try their P 32 at the local range last year, nice little pistol, I liked it. I'm not to impressed with .32's but  they used to be pretty popular and with newer bullets it should make a nice little back up and plinker.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »
Congrats on the new member of your family.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Nice little find on the Kel-Tec..
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
Nice...can't wait for the range report.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:39:55 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
HOLLY @#$%!!!  (did you, not expect that reaction???)

Congratulations!  Cool little gun, look forward to hearing how it shoots.  Is it rated for +P?

Considering penetration, think you'd do more damage with something like these than hollow points in this caliber?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
e12,

As you know I have the P3AT and it has been utterly reliable with every ammo I have ever fed it (even reloads) and I did not do a 'fluff and buff' so yours should do real well.

About the mag, yeah mine really drops the mag fast too. (If I run out of ammo I figure I can shoot the mag at 'em ;D )  Extra mags can be ordered at the Kel Tec site.

Nice buy!  It will be your constant companion, mine is.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
e12,

As you know I have the P3AT and it has been utterly reliable with every ammo I have ever fed it (even reloads) and I did not do a 'fluff and buff' so yours should do real well.

About the mag, yeah mine really drops the mag fast too. (If I run out of ammo I figure I can shoot the mag at 'em ;D )  Extra mags can be ordered at the Kel Tec site.

Nice buy!  It will be your constant companion, mine is.

Re mag: Yeah, if I lay the gun flat on the table and depress the mag release it will completely 100% eject the fully loaded mag from the gun!

Re Fluff and buff: I dont think I will do a complete fluff and buff. I looked over the entire gun with a bright light and the proverbial fine tooth comb, and I cant see any imperfections from the machining process that need to be addressed. I will look closely again after a couple hundred rounds, but I dont think one will be needed. I do like a polished feed ramp however, so I probably will give that a go..... may all just be personal preference though.

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »
That doesn't look like a Glock.  :P ;D

Nice find. A buddy of mine has one that I've shot...and I like it a bunch.

+1 on the BB ammo.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Desantis has a great market for the little pocket rockets. Nice buy on the Ket Tec. Hope you find lots of pleasure with it at the range.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk