Author Topic: 44 Special...your thoughts?  (Read 25448 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: 44 Special...your thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
I've always wanted a dedicated .44 Blackhawk........If Haz'll just send me one of his .357 3-screws, then I'll just send it on up to Hamilton Bowen...... ;)

But, I do love shooting .44 specials in my magnum Super Blackhawks.......almost no recoil at all....there's just so much versatility in the mag/spl combo. As others have said, you can load cowboy loads to 280gr thumb-busters in one cylinder.

Too much fun.....   :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Wheelgun Dunn

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
Once again the cat has it right!  The .45 Colt is a great round and it can be loaded up or down to suit your needs but there is just something "special" swirling around the .44 Special.  Maybe it's just me and too many Taffin, articles but it is cool!  

Anyway, hope things are going better for you Cat, glad to see you are rising from the ashes so to speak!

Wheelgun

SIG229DAK

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
One "advantage" I've seen in my area, .45 Long Colt reloading components are scarce/none.   Yet I'm finding .44 spl stuff on the shelf  ;D
HaroldB

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
Was in a shop the other day and something happened like Love At First Site  ::)   I laid my eyes on a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag. 

OH, My God.

It's still there at the shop...where it'll probably stay until some young buck with Seven and a Half Bills comes along.

I don't NEED it...it's for shooting bear and boar and real real real bad guys.

I DON'T need it.

I don't.

Seriously.

Wait, what's that sound?  Is that a bear outside???

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »
Sure ya do, I've been to Vermont, they got bears and stuff!  Really scary rabbits too!

Buy it, go ahead......I dare ya.....

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:48:30 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »
Sure ya do, I've been to Vermont, they got bears and stuff!  Really scary rabbits too!

Buy it, go ahead......I dare ya.....

If you're afraid of bears, which I know you're not, as only a candy ass would be intimidated a a 700 pound carnivorous (possibly rabid) animal lurking JUST OUTSIDE HIS DOOR. I would reccomend you go with the .454 casull model. It'll let you shoot .45lc (the Correct designation!) when you're sober and the .454 when you're having a really bad day. Plus range reports will amuse the hell out of the rest of us. Remember I'm a professor and know what what I'm doing, and I say, Grasshopper, that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Remember the lessons of the great Dr. Thompson, no one ever got any style points for being half crazy. ;D
fightingquaker13 who is being the voice of Satan Just Do It

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »
I would reccomend you go with the .454 casull model. It'll let you shoot .45lc (the Correct designation!) when you're sober and the .454 when you're having a really bad day. Plus range reports will amuse the hell out of the rest of us. Remember I'm a professor and know what what I'm doing, and I say, Grasshopper, that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Remember the lessons of the great Dr. Thompson, no one ever got any style points for being half crazy. ;D
fightingquaker13 who is being the voice of Satan Just Do It

OK.......I gotta go lay down...

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
I would go for the Alaskan!  Or I would buy a Smith and Wesson Model 21 or 24 and have the barrel shortened to 2 1/2 inches.  .44 special is a great cartridge.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
Hey! I'm standing up for Mr. bane here, .45lc is the historically correct name for the round. Its also a good way to differentiate between .45acp and, god help us, .45 GAP (even I haven't drunk that much kool aid).
FQ13

WRONG!   There was the .45 Schofield and the 45 Colt then came the 45 acp.  So IDIOTS started calling the 45 Colt a 'long colt' to differentiate.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A .45 LONG COLT!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
WRONG!   There was the .45 Schofield and the 45 Colt then came the 45 acp.  So IDIOTS started calling the 45 Colt a 'long colt' to differentiate.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A .45 LONG COLT!
Thats exactly my point Haz.Because the Schofeild and the .45 colt were co-temperanious and shared the same .45 name, ammo makers, gun makers and owners refered to the .45 colt as long colt. In my view the common sense of a whole generation gives legitimacy to this designation. After all a zillion cartridge boxes, advertising fliers and general parlance can't be wrong. I know its a small nit to pick, but as an academic, its what I get paid to do. :-[ The point is, that by virtue of common usage in the relevant period,I'm going with long colt as definative.
fightingquaker13 who is going to look under the bed for an honest job

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk