Author Topic: The best revolver ever  (Read 20089 times)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The best revolver ever
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »
That's gonna make M'ette cry like a little girl when she reads it. ;)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
Great stuff Frisco.  Scooter trash, lol. Haven't heard that one in years. Perfect items to retire into the ground with. Thanks again for sharing.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
You are right that the M19-2 is the best revolver. I got one for graduation as well and carried it in Vietnam. I still shoot it quite a bit.

And, it goes deer hunting with me in my kit bag. I use a Ruger No. 1 7x57 for deer but I like the backup.

We/I have a rule -- only one rifle if we have to track a wounded deer. I am our chief tracker. So I carry the M19 as I track and let my buddy carry his rifle.

Your dad made a good choice in my book.

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
the 19 is a sweet oiece,i have the 19 combat masterpiece,the trigger and timing could not be better.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »
Is this a .38 or .357?  In any case I love older S&W revolvers.  They are made for your hand and point very naturally. Added bonus is they look so damn good!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:28:47 PM »

Frisco

• Ugly, broke down, retired old fart.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »
Is this a .38 or .357?  In any case I love older S&W revolvers.  They are made for your hand and point very naturally. Added bonus is they look so damn good!

The 19 is the .357 Magnum.  Of course, like all .357's it handles .38's all day long.  I usually carry Federal 110gr jhp .38+P in it wit a pair of HKS Speedloaders full of 125gr jhp .357 rounds for reloads.  No need to beat the thing up with a lot of Magnums...I have other .357's for that.

Yeah, in my opinion, the Model 19 Combat Magnum is the zenith of medium frame revolvers for self defense.  I also really like the L-Frame 586 Distinuished Service Magnum for a little more robust revolver.  It isn't as slick as the K-Frame 19, but ALMOST, and it is leaps and bounds better than any other wheelgun out there.  Eve the Colt Python isn't as nice out of the box as a Smith & Wesson.  Just my opinion after 30 years of shooting and owning both Smith and Colt wheelguns.

I bought a raggedy old Smith & Wesson Model 13 some years ago, which is the fixed-sight, heavy barrel version of the K-Frame magnum.  I cleaned it up, and did a home-grown action job on it.  For the princely sum of $150.00, I have a slick .357 that lives in my "Oh S**t Bag".  You just can't beat a Smith Wheelie.
God bless, and sincere thanks to all our fine people in uniform.  You pay for our freedom, and for that we owe you all we can give you.  Thank you.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »
Beauty!  .357 and PURTY (not to mention the added history 'cool' factor!).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »
Thanks for the story and sharing the proud family history Frisco, that pistol is on the very short list as one of the best revolvers ever made, period;  and was complemented with a fine man when duty called.

Blessed are the Peacemakers, and those that carry them.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
The K frame Smiths, are Very fine, and I own several, The L frame can be just as slick, but the difference is the diameter of the cylinder assembly, the closer the cartridges are together, the less the centrifugal force is created, and less felt friction as well. You don't feel the weight of the cartridges slamming home as much, as you would with an L or N frame.

Great Story too, Thank you so much.

I would like to have met your dad, and certainly like to meet you.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Beautiful gun and beautiful story.  I love blue steel and wood.  I need to get a 19 some day. Thanks for sharing.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk