Author Topic: Kel-Tec P32 Review  (Read 24211 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kel-Tec P32 Review
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »

You will remember that back in May of this year, I acquired a Kel-Tec P32:

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=5842.0

I had been trying to track down either a .32 or a .380 for weeks in an effort to fill a void and allow myself to be armed even in deep cover situations when I could not carry a “real gun”. So after much searching, I was able to get my hands on a P32 for the purchase price of $250.

Now, this review was delayed for about four months for the simple reason that my P32 had to make a return trip to the factory. I wanted to wait before posting any public review because I felt it was only fair to give Kel-Tec an opportunity to fix things before voicing my opinions. I also knew before even making a Kel-Tec purchase that this might very well be something that I would have to deal with, and I was ok with that. Kel-Tec has kind of gained a reputation for having loose machining tolerances, and it was my impression that I would have about a 50/50 chance of getting a gun that was good to go right out of the box. I unfortunately ended up with one that would need to be sent back for a tune up…… But like I said, I was ok with that.

My first trip to the range went great…. for about the first 25 rounds. Then after that it started to have problems. The gun had 2 failures to extract (stove pipe), and about 6 failures to feed (This was with various brands and types of ammo). What was interesting was that the failures to feed were not jam ups, but rather that the slide would cycle fully but would not pull the round free from the magazine. In addition, the gun had several light hammer strikes. The hammer would fully drop, but would not do so hard enough to ignite the primer and fire the round.

So I packaged up the little squirt and sent it back to Kel-Tec with a full description of what the problems were. Approximately 7 weeks later, the pistol arrived back at my front door with a description of what was done to remedy the problems….. Kel-Tec completely replaced the slide and barrel. I basically got a completely new upper with the old serial number on it. They also polished the feed ramp and test fired the gun.

It was going to be about a week before I could get out to the range, so I played around with the gun using snap caps for a while. To my delight, there really seemed to be a marked improvement in what they sent back to me. The difference in quality was astounding….. much like comparing a S&W wheel gun to some bargain basement knock off. EVERYTHING about this gun now felt like it performed at a higher level then the original. The slide slammed closed like the proverbial vault door, and it also stripped rounds off the mag like…. well…. just insert any “drug addicted stripper” analogy that you would like! My point is that this gun now seemed to be the quality piece that I was wanting all along. Subsequent trips to the range would also confirm this. I have had no failures of any kind and I have now put enough rounds through it to know that it is dependable. The difference in quality is also noticeable when firing live ammo as well. This gun is solid!

You will remember that back in my original post, I mentioned that I also purchased a DeSantis Nemesis for pocket carry. I am still very happy with its performance. It really does a remarkable job displacing the 10 oz of weight and really makes it feel no heavier then a cell phone in the pocket. I have also found it remarkable that it stays in the pocket EVERY SINGLE TIME I draw! I will say that continued use has made the holster flatten out more, and in certain clothes it produces more of a gun-like print (the +1 mag extension also accentuates this)…. This has been remedied by using a cut down piece of a DVD case inside my pocket and in front of the holster. This does not impede the draw in any way, and now it just looks like a squared off object in my pocket rather then a gun shaped object. (I will be testing other pocket holsters and may make a change in the future to eliminate the DVD plastic)

So what’s the bottom line? I am very happy with this little pea shooter. It took a return trip to the factory to get me a dependable gun, but I knew that was a possibility going in. It carries well, and is an excellent deep cover concealed carry gun (it carries great in a suit jacket pocket). This gun will probably end up being my regular carry gun for the two months out of the year when its too hot to wear anything but a Speedo (they don’t call them the dog days of summer for nothing!).
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Kel-Tec P32 Review
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »
Nice report, Eric.  Glad they took care of you. (all be it a little slow).

As you know I carry the P3AT.  Have you had any problems with the mag release?  Specifically that it stands out a little too far and will trip in your pock and let the mag come loose?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »
Eric, thanks for the report. Have you had a problem finding self-defense ammo?
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:17:27 AM »
Re: Mag Release

I have had zero problems with that... I have read that some people do have that problem.... I think it is a non issue because of the thickness of the holster I use.

Re: Defensive ammo

.32 ACP is in no way as hard to find as .380 (or at such a premium). I think it is pretty much on par with being as scarce as everything else is right now. I am looking for Corbon to use for my carry ammo.... I can find it online.... but I am wanting to track it down in a store so I dont have to pay for shipping.

bestseller92

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »
Sorry, but any manufacturer whose new, just out of the box firearms need to go back for repair 50% of the time just ain't a'cuttin' it in my book.
"In self-defense and in defense of the innocent, killing is not murder, hesitation is not moral, and cowardice is the only sin". -- page 306, "The Darkest Evening of the Year", Dean R. Koontz.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:54:06 PM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
Great, detailed, report Eric, thanks.

I have never owned or shot a Kel-Tec, but your report and others on this site have convinced me to give them a try for a BUG.

Thanks again!!!
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
Great review eric, I am a P3AT owner, and did the "fluff & buff",

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

I am certain CS did this procedure, and I trust mine and am very comfortable carrying it with the IWB clip attachment, but am looking at the Nemesis holster again.

Mine has never gone back, but the KTOG folks all say the pistol needs a 200 rd. break in.

I know some say " I want out of the box 100% performance with no issues" well my $500+ Walther, also required a break in...

and a recall.... Some do and some don't.

The Kel-Tec is a good brand for the price. And the mag extensions are a great accessory.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »
Sorry, but any manufacturer whose new, just out of the box firearms need to go back for repair 50% of the time just ain't a'cuttin' it in my book.

I agree, and I would have been furious if I had not known that was the deal before making a purchase. I dont think that it is too much to ask that guns (especially guns designed for personal protection) are good to go right out of the box. All the recalls that we have been seeing of late is rather concerning, and the fact that Kel-Tec has gained such a reputation for having loose manufacturing tolerances is by definition pretty bad from a business perspective. However, like I said earlier.... I was ok with the possibilities that my P32 may have to make a return trip to the factory to get things right. With this gun purchase, I was purchasing a very specialized tool to perform a very specialized task. I'm in it for the long run, and was willing to have it take an extra 7 weeks to let them hand tune my gun if thats what it took. All I had to do was pay for shipping, and they took care of the rest on their dime.... I probably could have gotten them to pay for shipping too, but I didnt ask.

Also, The reality of the situation is that I really had no choice. With Kel-Tec you might have to send that new gun back.... It is what it is.

And despite the fact that this market segment is growing rapidly, I still had a very select few firearms to choose from to get a gun that was small enough and light enough to fulfill my needs. The Sig 238 is almost identical in size to the P32/P3AT, but weighs in at around 15 oz (Much heavier). It is also very scarce and more then twice the price. The Ruger LCP is right on par with the P3AT, but is about $150 more in price and much more difficult to track down. I also did not feel comfortable with a LCP purchase since it is so new to the market place.... Yes, the post-recall models are probably fine, but I just didnt want to deal with it. With the P32 I got one of the smallest and definitely the lightest (6.6 oz) pocket guns that I could that wasnt a .22

*Once again, if anyone from Kel-Tec is reading this..... I would much have preferred that the gun have come in the old cardboard box and also included an extra magazine as apposed to the new plastic case (no value added).

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
Nice report, Eric.  Glad they took care of you. (all be it a little slow).

As you know I carry the P3AT.  Have you had any problems with the mag release?  Specifically that it stands out a little too far and will trip in your pock and let the mag come loose?

I carry the same gun, and that happens to me all the time.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
Regarding the mag release, the factory plastic one can wear out over time, a tip is to push the mag release button while inserting a magazine.

It was never designed to slam on up in there, sure it will work for a while, but there is also steel ones available.

It's part 205, technically called the Magazine Catch.

just my .02 cents.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk