Author Topic: Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK  (Read 21266 times)

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
Just handled the newest Glock this week.  A Glock 22 with changeable grip arch (small, medium & large, with small the permanent default), reversible magazine release (new, somewhat larger rectangular size to the button), a new Rough Texture Frame style (less abrasive then the first iteration), older style grasping grooves on the rear of the slide and a dual (spring w/in spring) recoil spring assembly.

The magazine is also double notched in order to accommodate those who reverse the magazine release, and still has the center notch for the ambidextrous release (for those guns so equipped).

Recoil spring has a different feel to it, and I suspect is meant to slow the slide velocity.  Up to around 1,400 rounds with a light attached.

Figure delivery at/after SHOT, then the G17 version, followed by the 19/23.
Kilroy...

...was here.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »
Did you like it?

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:44:37 AM »
Jumping on the M+P design feature bandwagon I see,....
 ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
Heresy! Why mess with perfection? I guess the ambi features are nice. Honestly though, I really prefer my old Gen 1 17 and 19s straight grip without the finger grips to my new Gen 3 G26. Having changeable grips is nice I supose, but its stuff to go wrong. In my opinion, what makes the Glock so good is simplicity and a minimum number of parts. Nothing to break, nothing to screw up. It just goes bang, always. Its the semi auto version of a Smith J frame. Every "feature" they add takes them away from what made them the default gun for LEOs in the first place. If I wanted to add features I'd have bought a 1911. KISS is a classic for a reason. >:(
FQ13 who is officially an old fart. Hey you kids, get off my lawn! ;D

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:30:21 AM »

They are all jumping on the WALTHER P99 Design.  M&P Stole it first probably because Walther is imported to the US by Smith and Wesson

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:03:32 PM »

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:18:38 AM »

Check the history of the 1911 and a choice in mainspring housings.

Did you like it?

Yes.  I really liked the new texture on the frame.  Polymer seems to be a bit different as well.  I'll be waiting for the 17 and 19 to be out, then I'll be an owner.

There is also some interesting re-inforcement of the slide, below the breech face.  Likely some other changes not so readily apparent.  The magazines had a #9 follower.
Kilroy...

...was here.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Haven't even seen one yet!  I already know that I want a grip without finger grooves and a backstrap that makes it point more like a 1911 than a revo (without having to have custom grip work)!

JMHD

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
I heard rumors of this on other gun forums..... Where did you get to see these? How much closer to a 1911 style grip angle is it now?

The evolution has begun:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=2105.0
;)
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
I heard rumors of this on other gun forums..... Where did you get to see these? How much closer to a 1911 style grip angle is it now?

The evolution has begun:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=2105.0
;)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk