Author Topic: Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK  (Read 21264 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
I am of 2 minds on this, as previously stated, I told Chris Edwards that interchangeable back straps with varying angles and depth would be an easy and cool thing for the pistols. He ran it by Gaston, and I was told, Gaston thinks its perfect, and no.

I have small hands, so performed grip reductions on my m22 15 yrs ago, crude but effective. Soon after Robar started doing the same thing and now there are lots of smiths making money doing it. I started shooting my m21 with a grip reduction, and it became my main auto pistol, now after many years of shooting it, my m17 and m34 without reductions, seem fine.

You take Dave Sevigny who shoots unmodified frames and VERY WELL.  That is where the 2 minds come in. If you shoot a Glock only, and learn the Glock grip, learn the glock trigger, it does work, and work well. But if you shoot multiple pistols, the Glock won't point like you want it to and the trigger 3.5 or more will not behave like you are used to. The trigger is still very usable.  I have in the past and still do promote the natural HIGH point of aim of the Glock to be a plus, not a minus, as most casual shooters shoot low under stress, due to flinch. They will have a higher point of impact with a Glock than anything else, and that is a good thing. Instead of pointing to the chest and hitting nothing or a belly shot, they may actually hit the chest.

The market is now being heard and Glock is reacting, after a very long time. The Walther 99 and the M&P heard the requests and introduced this feature, Just like the Japanese car manufacturers, listen to the consumer and give them what they want, not what we want to sell. Cupholders in cars, Silly?? Who drinks coffee while their driving. ;)
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

atmiller

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
Sounds like the new Glock isn't offering anything that the M&P, XDm, and others don't already have on the market.  Except for a poor grip angle. 

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »
Finally got to check out a 4th gen. 17...As I said in my earlier post, don't like the finger grooves but otherwise it's OK.  Can't see why the change except to change.

JMHO

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
For the love of......would someone please sneek somewhere and snap a photo of the Gen 4!

Sounds like the new Glock isn't offering anything that the M&P, XDm, and others don't already have on the market.  Except for a poor grip angle. 

The only thing you get with a glock over the others is glock reliablity.  Im also a big fan of the glock short trigger reset.
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »
I think I have access to a bit more information then you.  Glock has shared there back order situation with a few folks outside the industry.  As to the new gun...I've held it and changed the grips on it.  It has been undergoing some range testing at a major metro agency.

At this time, the current Advantage Arms kits will not work with the new gun.  This due to changes in spring rates.

::)
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 03:32:15 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
UPDATE: Hands on with Gen 4 GLOCK
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
UPDATE: This ad is in the Dec 2009 GUNS Magazine

Go here to see it for yourself:
http://gunsmagazine.com/

*Click on the digital edition in the upper right hand corner and then scroll over to page 37

**Interesting wording in the ad..... guess they were feeling some heat and were worried about losing sales.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

mutantpoo

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
Just handled the newest Glock this week.  A Glock 22 with changeable grip arch (small, medium & large, with small the permanent default), reversible magazine release (new, somewhat larger rectangular size to the button), a new Rough Texture Frame style (less abrasive then the first iteration), older style grasping grooves on the rear of the slide and a dual (spring w/in spring) recoil spring assembly.

The magazine is also double notched in order to accommodate those who reverse the magazine release, and still has the center notch for the ambidextrous release (for those guns so equipped).

Recoil spring has a different feel to it, and I suspect is meant to slow the slide velocity.  Up to around 1,400 rounds with a light attached.

Figure delivery at/after SHOT, then the G17 version, followed by the 19/23.

So how does the new small permanent default compare to the current grip ?

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »

So how does the new small permanent default compare to the current grip ?

It will be to the standard grip, somewhat as the 21SF is to the regular 21.

Imagine the SF treatment applied to the standard frames.

Does that help?
Kilroy...

...was here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk