Author Topic: What's your everyday carry rig? (Was hiking with handguns)  (Read 22351 times)

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your everyday carry rig? (Was hiking with handguns)
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
Summer in Texas with a DeSantis inside the pocket holster.  125 grain Hollow points +p.

Winter in Texas with a Galco IWB holster.  230grain hollow points. 

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

tombogan03884

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
True, but if you miss with the first two, the extra nine won't do much good if the BG is sticking a knife in your gut. I prefer a Glock to a Bond. I see a derringer as a backup, or a hot wether gun. Still, having looked at someone ten feet away, I realized how short a distance that was, and how fast things were likely to happen. Its why I waded into the swamp of .45 vs 9mm to think about which would be the better choice. (Research says, who the hell knows, stay with what you have). Regardless, if the guy had rushed me, I would have been doing well to clear leather and gotten one shot off at leg level and another torso level before we were wrestling for the gun. Maybe a third if I was having a good day. The thing is with SD, its all about the D. They have the initiave, you react in circumstances of their choosing. Awareness helps, but you are still not going to be in control of the situation most times, until you react. Then, you roll the dice. I prefer 11 to two, but I'm rather resigned to the fact that two might be all you get.
FQ13

I just noticed this . I'm curious FQ, what DO you do under those circumstances ? Give up ? It is also overlooking the FACT that just because your attacker is up close, does not mean he has been able to stick that knife in your gut. What you are missing is the objective, which is to DEFEND yourself, not necessarily to shoot the BG. If you are DEFENDING yourself, you are fending off his attack at the same time you are drawing your weapon.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
True, but if you miss with the first two, the extra nine won't do much good if the BG is sticking a knife in your gut. I prefer a Glock to a Bond. I see a derringer as a backup, or a hot wether gun. Still, having looked at someone ten feet away, I realized how short a distance that was, and how fast things were likely to happen. Its why I waded into the swamp of .45 vs 9mm to think about which would be the better choice. (Research says, who the hell knows, stay with what you have). Regardless, if the guy had rushed me, I would have been doing well to clear leather and gotten one shot off at leg level and another torso level before we were wrestling for the gun. Maybe a third if I was having a good day. The thing is with SD, its all about the D. They have the initiave, you react in circumstances of their choosing. Awareness helps, but you are still not going to be in control of the situation most times, until you react. Then, you roll the dice. I prefer 11 to two, but I'm rather resigned to the fact that two might be all you get.
FQ13

I just noticed this . I'm curious FQ, what DO you do under those circumstances ? Give up ? It is also overlooking the FACT that just because your attacker is up close, does not mean he has been able to stick that knife in your gut. What you are missing is the objective, which is to DEFEND yourself, not necessarily to shoot the BG. If you are DEFENDING yourself, you are fending off his attack at the same time you are drawing your weapon.

I don't like to knock down any particular method or firearm other people want to use, but I personally wouldn't use a Derringer for anything other than maybe a 3rd back up gun. No way do I want to limit myself to just 2 shots, they take way to long to reload. A J-frame isn't much bigger and has 2 1/2 times the capacity and is lighter and with a little training can be reloaded in a reasonable amount of time. The moral here I guess is don't short change yourself before the fight even starts!!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
I don't like to knock down any particular method or firearm other people want to use, but I personally wouldn't use a Derringer for anything other than maybe a 3rd back up gun. No way do I want to limit myself to just 2 shots, they take way to long to reload. A J-frame isn't much bigger and has 2 1/2 times the capacity and is lighter and with a little training can be reloaded in a reasonable amount of time. The moral here I guess is don't short change yourself before the fight even starts!!

Hit!

For about the same size and weight, you can carry a j-frame
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk