Author Topic: Governor (S.C.) signs bill allowing 18-year-olds to own handguns  (Read 3907 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
By JIM DAVENPORT ยท AP State
Updated 04/02/08 - 8:21 PM |    Comment on this story

"People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns, and the bill will put our laws more in line with those of other states," Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer said.

The law went into effect immediately. Federal law still prohibits firearm retailers and dealers from selling handguns to people younger than 21. But the state law now allows individuals to sell handguns to anyone 18 or over.

South Carolina is one of 18 states - and the only one in the South - that had set 21 as the age for handgun ownership, according to the National Rifle Association. The group says Wyoming has no handgun age requirement. In Montana, it's set at 14; in Vermont, 16.

Rep. Mike Pitts, a Laurens Republican and retired police officer, had filed the bill to help out a national gun wholesaler located in Lexington County where employees younger than 21 were filling orders over the phone. A legal opinion by state Attorney General Henry McMaster had said that was not allowed because of their age and Pitts argued it would cost half the company's workers their jobs.

Pitts said gun retailers will still have to comply with state and federal firearms laws.

He said he sees no need to change the minimum age of 21 for a concealed weapons permit in South Carolina.

link http://www.heraldonline.com/scnews/state_regional_interest/story/464306.html
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Governor (S.C.) signs bill allowing 18-year-olds to own handguns
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
Not really sure how I feel about this one yet. I know I was not mature enough to handle owning a handgun at that age and certainly not enough for concealed carry. And really the whole argument of "People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns" doesn't really belong in this debate. Its comparing apples and oranges if you ask me.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
Not really sure how I feel about this one yet. I know I was not mature enough to handle owning a handgun at that age and certainly not enough for concealed carry. And really the whole argument of "People who are old enough to fight and die in the military should be able to purchase handguns" doesn't really belong in this debate. Its comparing apples and oranges if you ask me.

Concealed carry is still 21.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
Anyone else find it intresting that this bill was over money, not over giving 18 yo a "right"?

Golden rule applys here.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
Hell, back in the day, we owned guns when we were 8 in the Carolina's. Of course that was a while back when folks were folks and neighbors were neighbors and bad guys just sort of disappeared and were never heard from again. Never found, no-one cared. Oh well, those were the good ole days :-\
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Sponsor

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:36:14 AM »

When I was 18 I had been handling hand grenades, machine guns and rocket launchers for a year. I stated shooting .22 pistols at 11, .357 at 13 and had my own Colt  Navy reproduction at 14, had my first shot gun at 12, and a Win 30/30 at 13  I also learned about using Dynamite before I learned how to read the label on the case.
If they are old enough to get killed in some shithole like Iraq or Vietnam, or Korea. they are old enough to own any damn thing they can afford.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
When I was 18 I had been handling hand grenades, machine guns and rocket launchers for a year. I stated shooting .22 pistols at 11, .357 at 13 and had my own Colt  Navy reproduction at 14, had my first shot gun at 12, and a Win 30/30 at 13  I also learned about using Dynamite before I learned how to read the label on the case.
If they are old enough to get killed in some shithole like Iraq or Vietnam, or Korea. they are old enough to own any damn thing they can afford.

Its a different day and age that we live in now, and in my opinion the vast majority of 18 yr olds out there are not mature enough to handle owning a handgun.

And again, I don't think that the "old enough to serve" argument is in play here. It is just not applicable to making the decision to lower the age to own. It is not like they are saying that only 18 yr olds in the military can own a handgun. They are saying that all 18 yr olds are mature enough to buy and own a handgun. It shouldn't be in play with this discussion nor should it with regards to drinking age, Concealed carry age, receiving retirement benefits, or anything else regulated by age.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk