Author Topic: Man with weapon cache charged with threatening Virginia Tech style massacre  (Read 4324 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MIAMI (AP) -- A 20-year-old with a weapons cache that included four AK-47s was arrested after threatening to re-enact a Virginia-Tech style massacre over the Internet, authorities said Thursday.

Oregon authorities learned of a March 25 Internet message allegedly posted by Calin Chi Wong in which he threatened to re-enact the Virginia Tech killings. Two days later, Homestead Police searched the home Wong shares with his parents and found the weapons in stacked on shelves in plain view, Det. Antonio Aquino said.

Wong had 13 firearms in all, more than 5,000 rounds of ammunition, some that could pierce armor, and 100 rounds in a heating clip with bullets meant to take down aircraft or military machines. He'd hidden two AK-47s in his parents closet and his parents said the guns did not belong to them, Aquino said.

Wong was charged with making written threats to kill or do bodily injury via the computer and bonded out for $7,500. Additional charges are pending, he said. A message left by The Associated Press at a phone number listed for Wong was not immediately returned Thursday evening. The phone at his employer, China King, rang unanswered. It was not known if he had a lawyer.

Homestead Police first noticed Wong when he went to the department in February to complain he had been ripped off for $800 over the Internet after he ordered a gun online using his father's Paypal account.

He told authorities he'd called the FBI, ATF and other agencies about the issue and had finally reached a boiling point when he posted the message saying he would re-enact the Virginia Tech massacre, Aquino said.

"After speaking to him and seeing his frustration, I believe that he had the potential to carry out some kind of threat," Aquino said.

Wong felt isolated and cut off, authorities said. He'd been buying and selling guns for about two years and now word was getting around about Wong's age. Dealers stopped selling to him and he was being banned from certain gun-sale web sites.

Wong told police making the threat made him feel good because after "he had thousands of people on the Internet paying attention to him," Aquino said.

Wong told police he was just upset and frustrated and never actually planned a killing spree.

But authorities also found a school book bag lined with bullet proof vests and two handguns inside Wong's home.

Wong is not enrolled in college. He graduated from an Oregon high school and attended college for a year before moving in with his parents in Florida, authorities said.

Wong said the weapons were an investment.

"He says it's a lucrative business," Aquino said. "He said if Hillary Clinton wins she'll put a ban on assault rifles and these assault rifles will be worth more in value."

Link http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI82106/
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Does anybody have any idea about the part I have bolded?  Heating clips????
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

keithm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
A heating clip is probably a "thing that goes up."  Hence the anti-aircraft application.  We should consult Pelosi.  I hear she's an expert on such equipment.
VP - West Virginia Citizens Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Has anyone had a similar experience? Order thru Gunbroker of any clearinghouse, send FFL copy, pay, and NOT receive the firearm?? Of course, if it was a "side deal" with direct delivery expected, I'm not surprised.

I'm gonna go surround China King. Love their heated clip noodles. Ready ten minute, OK? ;D

Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Maybe heating clips are like a heating pad, you wear them in the back. It keeps your back from hurting while humping all those regulare clips around. ;D
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Hazcat, how about the shootout in North Miami-Dade? Sounds like two gangs went at it to me. Wherein lies the truth? Glad you have St. Pete under control. Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Hazcat, how about the shootout in North Miami-Dade? Sounds like two gangs went at it to me. Wherein lies the truth? Glad you have St. Pete under control. Mac.

Yep, couple of gangs in a 'turff war'.  Nothing new for Miami-Dade.  The city that originated the saying "Would the last American leaving please bring the Flag."

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
He'd hidden two AK-47s in his parents closet and his parents said the guns did not belong to them, Aquino said.

Wow, how big was that closet!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Nothin like wakin up on a Friday morning to a hot cup of java, turning on the computer, loggin on to Downrange and reading about this peaceful nation. How it's police forces are hard at work cleaning up our neighborhoods and how the local teens work out their differences in an adult non-confrontational manner....life is good ::)
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Wong had 13 firearms in all, more than 5,000 rounds of ammunition, some that could pierce armor, and 100 rounds in a heating clip with bullets meant to take down aircraft or military machines. He'd hidden two AK-47s in his parents closet and his parents said the guns did not belong to them, Aquino said.

Could he mean to say incendiary rounds?  HEAT rounds?
HEAT would make sense, but I'm not sure they're legal.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk