Author Topic: Gun zealots put Floridians at risk  (Read 11140 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gun zealots put Floridians at risk
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
Keithm,

As much as I hate being told what I can do on/with my property I still have a problem with this.

1st.  In Florida the law concerning weapons and CCW starts out the "The State is occupying the entire field"  meaning no one else gets to make any laws about it.

2nd There is a state law here concerning smoking in public places that are on private property (restaurants for one).  Smoking is not a right but I have been forced to withdraw that option from my patrons (were I to own a restaurant).  Then there is the ADA that says I must accommodate a particular segment of the population.  Neither of these even have the power of rights but I have been forced to comply with them as a property owner.

3rd  Is it possible for me to agree to wave inalienable rights?  Think Dr Kevorkian.  I wave my right to life but he goes to jail for helping me end my life.

What would your thoughts be if the law was to state that you can deny weapons on your property BUT that you must then provide a secure place to store such items while I am in your employ or on your property and that you therefore are held responsible for my well being while on your property?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

keithm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Keithm,

As much as I hate being told what I can do on/with my property I still have a problem with this.

1st.  In Florida the law concerning weapons and CCW starts out the "The State is occupying the entire field"  meaning no one else gets to make any laws about it.

We have preemption here too.  But it's sort of broken.  It grandfathered ordinances in effect before the preemption.  We're working on fixing that, though.  ;)

2nd There is a state law here concerning smoking in public places that are on private property (restaurants for one).  Smoking is not a right but I have been forced to withdraw that option from my patrons (were I to own a restaurant).  Then there is the ADA that says I must accommodate a particular segment of the population.  Neither of these even have the power of rights but I have been forced to comply with them as a property owner.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you're agreeing with me here.  It sounds like you have a general distaste for the government telling you what to do, and how to act on your property. 

3rd  Is it possible for me to agree to wave inalienable rights?  Think Dr Kevorkian.  I wave my right to life but he goes to jail for helping me end my life.

It seems that people waive inalienable rights all the time.  Look at our troops.  They waive all kinds of rights when they join up.  I know I sure did.  Sort-of knowingly.  (What can I say, I was an ignorant but reasonably patriotic kid full of piss and vinegar :D)

What would your thoughts be if the law was to state that you can deny weapons on your property BUT that you must then provide a secure place to store such items while I am in your employ or on your property and that you therefore are held responsible for my well being while on your property?

Oh man, I view that as a very reasonable compromise.  In fact, we're going to be working on similar legislation here in WV real soon now. 
VP - West Virginia Citizens Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »
The thing that I find so interesting about this article is the unabashed left wing agenda that it is promoting. Liberal biased media.... What liberal biased media?!?!?!?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
Gun free zones don't stop criminals, Legally armed citizens do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »
I could be wrong, but it seems like you're agreeing with me here.  It sounds like you have a general distaste for the government telling you what to do, and how to act on your property. 

I am in a way, but I am also pointing out that I have been forced to do follow other laws concerning my property that have nothing to do with some ones right.

Oh man, I view that as a very reasonable compromise.  In fact, we're going to be working on similar legislation here in WV real soon now. 

Yeah, but there we go thinking logically.  Never works with a politician. ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:46:16 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »
The thing that I find so interesting about this article is the unabashed left wing agenda that it is promoting. Liberal biased media.... What liberal biased media?!?!?!?

Here in FL the St Pete Times is kown as Pravda East.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 03:42:52 PM »
I just never considered my self a zealot. You?
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
There is a differance between the property rights of a home owner and the property rights of someone who REQUIRES, employees or other members of the public to be on their property in the normal course of business.
Even if an employer could justify regulating what is in your car on their property they DO NOT have the right to deprive you of civil rights off their property, That is the practicle result of these parking lot bans.

I just never considered my self a zealot. You?
Mac.

I started considering myself a zealot when I realized that there is only one alternitive to "Oppresive Government"

keithm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
Even if an employer could justify regulating what is in your car on their property they DO NOT have the right to deprive you of civil rights off their property, That is the practicle result of these parking lot bans.

I assume you'd be referring to the commute to/from work there.  An angle I hadn't considered.  A friend in a similar situation parks off-site to resolve that problem. 
VP - West Virginia Citizens Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
I assume you'd be referring to the commute to/from work there.  An angle I hadn't considered.  A friend in a similar situation parks off-site to resolve that problem. 

The problem that needs to be resolved is Employers who try to make citizens surrender civil rights as a condition of employment, I went through an FBI background check to purchase my pistol, I went through ANOTHER FBI background check to get my concealed carry permit, and I went through ANOTHER background check before I was hired, and the I'm told that I can't have a fire arm in MY vehicle by some a$$hole who is not trusted with a key to the executive washroom ?  In my case, Corprate has a "No Guns" policy but the Facility managment are not butthole liberals and maintain a don't ask, don't tell policy that conforms with Corprates rules but keeps them from being held responsible for anything that happens between home and work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk