Author Topic: Baldwin charged.  (Read 4085 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: Baldwin charged.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2023, 01:43:48 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but even if I see some one check the chamber, leave the action open and hand it too me... I still double check it.

Always.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
Same here, always double and triple check.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2023, 06:37:13 PM »
Even the pros, like Massad Ayoob, can overlook a cartridge.  Student checked her revolver. He checked the revolver.  He pulled the trigger....blam.  That's why rules 2 - 4 are there, because no matter what.  All Guns Are Always Loaded.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 08:27:07 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but even if I see some one check the chamber, leave the action open and hand it too me... I still double check it.

The issue here is that they are on a production set. The standard rules in this setting are that a person is in charge of the firearms, they control them, and they declare them "safe". If anyone, including the actor they are given to does anything to possible change that, opening chambers or removing and replacing magazines, the whole process starts over.

Under the standard rules of the industry, Baldwin the actor followed protocol, and his inexperience with firearms use and safety lead to an injury and a death. Baldwin the producer is in big trouble for hiring and incompetent armor and not controlling that business's firearm control and training standards, but Baldwin the actor's liability will hinge on whether he followed the rules set and prestented to him by the armor.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2024, 06:49:23 AM »
Just charged with involuntary manslaughter
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:38:04 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2024, 06:58:57 AM »
Just charged with involuntary manslaughter

As he should be.... He pulled the trigger.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2024, 07:13:41 AM »
[<snip>Under the standard rules of the industry, Baldwin the actor followed protocol, and his inexperience with firearms use and safety lead to an injury and a death. <snip>
[/quote]

Is he inexperienced with real firearms?  What level of experience or inexperience does he have with real firearms?  I think those are valid questions and that any assumption of his experience needs to be born out by real fact. 

He does have 30+ years of experience with Hollywood weapons (see link below) that is inescapable.  You would think an armorer somewhere along the line was competent and schooled Baldwin.  If Baldwin skipped every safety meeting on the Hollywood weapons he used could that be a red flag for intentional negligence?  Surely....surely...he knew not to point a Hollywood gun directly in a person's direction and to cant the barrel so that the camera would think he was pointing directly at a human target while he actually was not pointing an anyone....don't we think he had at least that level of knowledge...how could he escape that normal Hollywood safety practice in over 30 years of films?

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Alec_Baldwin

Guilty as charged?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2024, 08:07:33 AM »
Rastus hit the pertinent points. This is theater. We need to check all of our use and safety expertise at the door of the theater. Not saying that theater doesn't care about safety. There are different procedures that are to be followed to safely depict actions in theater.  And YES, in many cases firearm use in theater flies against the common rules of real-world firearm safety.

First, the armorer is guilty in this death and injury. She allowed this to happen under her watch. As far as Baldwin, the facts of how he followed the rules set before him. Did he fully participate in the training and briefings concerning the firearms use on this set. Third, as I recall it was not the armor who actually handed the gun to Baldwin and declared it safe for walk through of the scene. Where will liability fall on this (was it within protocol)? Finaly, Baldwin was a producer in this production. Where will Baldwin's production company fall in the liability for hiring and trusting the armorer.

If I found myself in Baldwin's shoes in this situation I would be sweating heavily. Between the highly charged emotions concerning firearms in our society, and the media and social media running truth and fiction for so long, how do you find an impartial jury?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2024, 08:47:29 AM »
First, the armorer is guilty in this death and injury. She allowed this to happen under her watch.

Not if she wasn't the last one to touch that gun before Baldwin. And from the testimony that I heard, she wasn't. The gun was not only given to him by someone else, but that person declared to Baldwin that the gun was, "cold". (Meaning it was checked and found to be safe). It obviously was not.

And even that does not absolve Baldwin from checking it himself. You don't have to be an expert gun handler to open a loading gate, and spin a cylinder.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2024, 09:26:55 AM »
Not if she wasn't the last one to touch that gun before Baldwin.

Wrong! The armor is 100% responsible for the access and control of the firearms on the set. They are either with them, or they are locked away where only the armor has access. If the armor loses contact with the firearm at any time, they must go through their verification process again before they are put into use. It is a standard that puts full control and verification of the process on the professional, and the actor trusts the process and acts only within the process. One armor even stated in an interview that if the actor opens an action when it is not scripted, they must take the firearm back and go through the process again. It is a step to keep unauthorized operators from having access to the ammunition.

This is a standard that I had learned from a group of theatrical armorers a few years prior to this event. And, it is a standard that was quoted by armorers interviewed in what could have possibly gone wrong in this event.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk