Author Topic: What is the Most Sturdy AR Lower ? ? ? ? ?  (Read 11256 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
Re: What is the Most Sturdy AR Lower ? ? ? ? ?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
Rastus,

If your looking for a .50 you might consider the Armalite AR-50. It is a complete rifle for right around $3,000.00. By the time you purchase the upper you linked to, ($2,200.00), add a decent lower, ($400.00), you will be close to what a AR-50 will run. The AR-50 has a good reputation among .50 BMG shooters. It will be much easier to sell if you should choose to do so. Also remember that scope mount set ups for a .50 aren't cheap, nor is shooting it. This stuff all starts adding up really fast once you commit yourself to buying it. This is my Bushmaster BA-50 I set up not that long ago.

I'll give it a look see.  Thanks!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Change my mind, please!  That's why I posted here to refine my thought process.  I lean heavily on the individual transfer and no paperwork upper....and I do like saving a few coin as well.  The lower and guts won't be too much along with a bipod....it's the scope that scares me.

Any chance you'll get to come to the Pro-Am????

The scope is what I was thinking as well.  If you look at $2,600 upper + $400.00 lower + $80 bipod + $850 scope and rings = $3,930.  Sure it is $700 less than a dedicated Barrett, but do you have the quality?

I'll PM on Pro-Am, but with the wedding on the 19th it will be out this year.  I mentioned your idea of shooting Wednesday and Thursday and being there for pictures on Friday, and that went over like a turd in a punch bowl.  In fact, it went over so bad that my beard almost wasn't an issue ... now the beard is bad again as well and will be gone early enough that there are no tan lines!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »
................  Sure it is $700 less than a dedicated Barrett, but do you have the quality?

I'll PM on Pro-Am, but with the wedding on the 19th it will be out this year.  .....

They claim sub 0.5 MOA...I'm on the hunt to see if that's true.

Tell them to move the wedding....how insensitive to not consider your schedule...expecially one of the highlights of the year.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
They claim sub 0.5 MOA...I'm on the hut to see if that's true.

Another thing to remember with a lot of these .50 BMG rifles that make accuracy claims. Most all of them are shot with super match grade ammunition with custom CNC lathe turned, solid brass, match grade bullets that can cost up to $7.00 per round. With standard military grade Ball ammo the groups will open up considerably. With any and all grades of milsurp .50BMG ammo, the thing to remember is as a general rule the more the bullet does, the less accurate it will be doing it.

For example, .50 BMG Ball is the most accurate military ammo. It usually is the most expensive as well. Tracer and armor piercing are a little less accurate. Armor piercing incendiary is less accurate still. Armor piercing incendiary tracer are the least accurate. There is nothing "wrong" with any of these rounds, it's just that most are good for plinking and informal shooting. Out here in Arizona you have to really be careful during the fire season with incendiary and tracer rounds. These things can carry for miles, and they are very capable of starting brush fires. Another thing to remember with a .50 BMG is you can have 3 holes touching on the target, and still have an 1-1/2" group!  Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk