Author Topic: Pray that I know when to stay, walk away, and what to do  (Read 8250 times)

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pray that I know when to stay, walk away, and what to do
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
I had a friend eat a gun this last tuesday.  Sat is his funeral, I am pretty good friends with his (duh rough week) sister and know his mom fairly well.  There are times words don't mean anything...this is one of those times.  I just need wisdom when to be available, be invisible and when not Thanks
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Pray that I know when to stay, walk away, and what to do
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
First off, sorry for you loss...it's never easy.  To answer your question is difficult also.  I would let them know that you are available if needed and that you will be thinking and praying for them.

God Bless,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
Dakota,

I agree with Ellis.  Let them know that you are available for whatever they might need and then wait on them.

Sorry to hear this, losing a friend is never easy and under these circumstances it's even tougher.  Pray for his family and I will add you to mime.

Haz.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
DR...I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  The fact that you're already aware of the delicate way to approch these matters with his family speaks volumes about your character.  You will know what to do when they need you, listen, watch and be there for them in whatever capacity you can.

Sometimes it's just the presence of a friend that matters.

Best!

timmy

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »
Dakota,

Sorry for your loss

Might your relationship with your friend be able to guide you here?

If he was very close to you....part of your family, like a brother, act towards his family with more of that relationship.

You might need their support as well as them needing yours.

Take care

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:12:19 PM »

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »
Sorry for your loss. My best friend of 24 years in 2005 done the same thing. I am still hurting from what happend. The best thing to do is talk to somebody. It hurts and there is no words that I can say that will help.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
Very sorry Dakota, just let them know you are there for support in any way, and let it go at that. You may find the family, or members, contact you.

Terrible when one reaches that point.

Perhaps, after a few days, maybe a week, send them a letter, and let them know your thinking and praying for them..

Condolences and prayers Dakota, this is a very tough thing to go through.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
DR, I am so sorry to hear of this. By all means talk with someone who is not involved to help keep the right perspective on this.

It will hurt for a long time, but you are the one to find your way past the pain and celebrate the person for who they were for you.

My prayers are with you.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
Dakota - So sorry to hear this.  It is a good thing to not understand why or how it could be that bad, because the moment any of us fully understands we will be doing it our selves.

Two things I was taught in my training and continuing ed is

#1.  Say your sorry and shut up!  More often than not we feel we must make someone feel better, and all we do is screw it up by sticking our foot in our mouth;

#2.  When words won't do, create or participate in a tradition ... Funerals

Glad you went to the funeral, and I'll shut up now ... Sorry.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
sorry to hear this DR
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk