Author Topic: Good Buddy Has Cancerous Tumor on Kidney  (Read 32286 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Good Buddy Has Cancerous Tumor on Kidney
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »
Here's another brief update as we continue down the road.  Mike had his chemo regimen totally changed since what he had been on was causing blisters in his mouth and on the soles of his feet.  You have rarely seen a man more miserable. I worried that he would end this himself--but he hasn't.

The new chemo seems to have improved the lesion situation and at least slowed things down on the cancer front, although he gets really tired by mid afternoon and has developed an awful GERD to the point where he can't eat anything for several hours before he goes to bed.  So, he takes his larger meal at noon and just has a small bite in the early evening.  Compromises. 

He remains in fairly significant pain most of the time only getting relief from some locally procured "herbal" remedies.  I've not been much a a proponent of legalizing the stuff, but I have changed my mind after seeing how much it helps my pal. He has a very bad reaction to most of the pharmaceutical pain-killers, and cannot abide the opiates, so it's good to have something.

Mike doesn't have much strength, and cannot do all the things he would like to do.  But, he is still able to do quite a lot.

Your prayers are helping.  I thank God for each of you.

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:17 AM »
The symptoms your describing are exactly the ones used to justify medical pot .
I have heard first hand testimony from people I believe who were not drinkers, and never approved of recreational drug use that Pot did in fact help them .
It does not have to be smoked, it can be used in a butter, or cooked into Brownies or cookies .

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
Continued prayers for Mike.

Richard and Norma
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »
Ever forward, CR... prayers for Mike to have the comfort and strength to fight the good fight....and for those who are working in support of him.

*Chemo is some nasty poison.
My wife can attest to the blisters..... among other side effects.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »
Continued prayers for your friend CR!

Wherever he gets his relief should be welcomed!  There is enough evidence to support the use of medicinal herbs of all varieties.  The Big Guy up yonder saw fit to put it here, might as well make good use of His every miracle!

God Bless him!

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:07:31 AM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 07:47:04 AM »
Tim, I have to agree with you. 

Years back I worked with an old fellow from Tennessee who once said to me, "I don't know what all this fuss is about grass.  Back home, we smoked something we called 'life everlasting' and it did us no harm.  Just made us feel wonderful."

It helps Mike sleep, reduces his need for additional pain killers, and makes him feel somewhat better. 

He tells me that so far it has not stimulated his appetite and he has lost another 17 pounds. 

Whatever happened to the munchies that made people eat a package of Oreos and a half-gallon of ice-cream?

Your continued prays are cherished.

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Sadly, the slow decline continues.  Mike has had a number of food issues since all this started.  Initially, the chemo that gave him blisters in his mouth and on his feet also gave him blisters or ulcers in his esophagus and his stomach, and that made it difficult/impossible to eat. 

That changed with the chemo change and the blisters went away.  But his appetite has not returned, and putting anything in his stomach causes immediate nausea.  Yesterday morning, Mike managed a plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast.  He ate nothing else until dinner when he managed another plate of scrambleds.  The weight is just falling off him.

There is no joy in Mudville...  Please keep us on the list.

Crusader

Timothy

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
At the top CR!

God Bless

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
No need to ask!

God Bless,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
CR,

There is a great drug for the nausea called Emend. It is expensive, but works way better than the standard fare like Compazene and such. If he has insurance (and if it covers it) he might check into it. It was the only thing that got my wife through six month of treatment with no nausea at all.

Take care, and prayers continue.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk