Author Topic: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.  (Read 22345 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
Tom as a lifelong machinist, you will be able to absorb this better than most. Dampeners, work, it dampens the vibration = frequency , I doubt you have ever turned brake rotors, but when this is done, We have a larger rubber band that is wrapped around the outer diameter of the disc to dampen vibration, without it, the finish will be coarse, not withstanding the speed or the feed. But with the rubber band the finish is very smooth. The rubber has a dampening effect, some of the stuff like Limbsaver barrel dampeners can work, if you work with it, move the dampener up and down the barrel, it is just a large rubber collar, but it does absorb vibration, = frequency, and will effect amplitude, but not to a great degree. Now the Boss system, it varies the muzzle pressure, and the muzzle is what we are concerned with as far a accuracy. The less muzzle up and down variation, we get, the better the grouping. The Boss is a variable muzzle brake, but does have good effect.

More questions are welcomed.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
He deserved that.....   ;)
No I didn't!

::)

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
 I knew a guy years ago who, using spindle speeds with a long tool, programed his milling machine to play "Mary had a little Lamb". I have also seen a set up that required a weight on one side of the tool to eliminate chatter.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
You guys are wimpy, click on the specs, the pictured rifle is a .308

You got me Tom.  ;)

Even so, that is one ugly ass rifle.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
Tom as a lifelong machinist, you will be able to absorb this better than most. Dampeners, work, it dampens the vibration = frequency , I doubt you have ever turned brake rotors, but when this is done, We have a larger rubber band that is wrapped around the outer diameter of the disc to dampen vibration, without it, the finish will be coarse, not withstanding the speed or the feed. But with the rubber band the finish is very smooth. The rubber has a dampening effect, some of the stuff like Limbsaver barrel dampeners can work, if you work with it, move the dampener up and down the barrel, it is just a large rubber collar, but it does absorb vibration, = frequency, and will effect amplitude, but not to a great degree. Now the Boss system, it varies the muzzle pressure, and the muzzle is what we are concerned with as far a accuracy. The less muzzle up and down variation, we get, the better the grouping. The Boss is a variable muzzle brake, but does have good effect.

More questions are welcomed.

Just a note on the BOSS...... the system has both a muzzle brake (with holes) and a solid unit (no holes) that has no recoil dampening effect (usually used when hunting without hearing protection).
The BOSS dampens by, as you previously stated, varying pressure at the muzzle, by changing the length of the pressure expansion area at the end of the barrel. The same unit works for all calibers except .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:58:26 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »
I would really like to know why it does not work with .338 and .375, physics are the same.

Tom as happens with certain things, you as a machinist have not had less than perfect circumstances, have you ever started a piece and felt the vibration?? And if you just put your hand on the work, being machined, felt it calm down?? Now this does mean something is wrong, and you probably stopped and adjusted the tension on the vise, or the angle of the cut, in our less than perfect world, sometimes we put our hand on it, and complete the cut. I am an amateur machinist, but have learned a lot, I have been cutting brake discs for 30 years and dampening bands have always been a part of the process,. But I will defer to a master machinist every time. It seems that you have not used this particular technique though??

Haz, I answered the question with a lot of detail, why do you doubt me??????????????
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
O.K. I have a question. When we work up a load, we are basically finding a load that works with the harmonics of the rifle.
If we were to use one of these de-resonators, we just pick a load and adjust the de-resonator until the group tightens up?

Would that work?

It would seem easier to move a rubber block up and down the barrel rather than trying to dial in a load.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
O.K. I have a question. When we work up a load, we are basically finding a load that works with the harmonics of the rifle.
If we were to use one of these de-resonators, we just pick a load and adjust the de-resonator until the group tightens up?

Would that work?

It would seem easier to move a rubber block up and down the barrel rather than trying to dial in a load.
Thats basically what the BOSS promises. Pick a load, mess with the compensator to optimize it, and you're good. It seemed a bit gimicky to me, and I chose a Ruger over the Browning, but its an interesting concept.
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »
I would really like to know why it does not work with .338 and .375, physics are the same.

Tom as happens with certain things, you as a machinist have not had less than perfect circumstances, have you ever started a piece and felt the vibration?? And if you just put your hand on the work, being machined, felt it calm down?? Now this does mean something is wrong, and you probably stopped and adjusted the tension on the vise, or the angle of the cut, in our less than perfect world, sometimes we put our hand on it, and complete the cut. I am an amateur machinist, but have learned a lot, I have been cutting brake discs for 30 years and dampening bands have always been a part of the process,. But I will defer to a master machinist every time. It seems that you have not used this particular technique though??

Haz, I answered the question with a lot of detail, why do you doubt me??????????????

Never said I doubted you , my friend.  Just HAD to throw a few jabs (hey, it's a failing of mine. ;) )
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »

I had not read this when we were in the chat room, you are right, If I have vibration in the Work piece I have a problem.
Depending on tolerances it can be enough to scrap the part and will probably lead to tool breakage. I make sure the vice itself is secure and clamp down tighter. (there are sometimes other concerns like clamp torque specs but they are not relevant here)
No I never did that type of machining that you do, it was always new manufacture from castings in fixtures, flat or bar stock, so I have not used those bands.

It's why I said we had to wait for you   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk