Author Topic: 6.8 SPC questions  (Read 10102 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: 6.8 SPC questions
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:46 PM »
Since we have this topic going, I'll ask a question I have been considering.

I happen to have an Olympic upper and lower I acquired in the early 90s.  The upper is stripped but the lower seems to have all the parts, but I'm not experienced enough to say it has them all. 

I have wanted to so SOMETHING with it for some time now.

I haven't heard much good about Olympic so my question is:  Should I try to build a 6.8 (or some other variant) on this lower and upper or are they not up to the job?

Thanks.

Good question, Solus. I've heard about Oly quality issues, but have no first-hand knowledge of them. My understanding is that the quality issues are in the past, not with current or recent manufacture.

Theoretically, though, you can replace the Oly barrel, bolt assembly and 5.56 magazines with 6.8 parts, and be good to go. That pretty much leaves only the upper receiver housing as a critical Oly part. The rest (stock, forward hand grips, etc.) really don't matter from caliber to caliber. Since you'd be swapping out most of the Oly upper stuff, I think you'd be OK, IMHO.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
I've had no problem getting 6.8 ammo. Go through either SSA or Natchez Shooting Supply. Both have plenty of different options starting around $16 for 20rd boxes.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
The 6.8 SPC has been on my want list since my friend Steve Holland help build that cartridge in 5th SFGA.  I'm just never home long enough to do anything (only been home 3 yrs out of 10.5).  One of his first guns chambered in it was a CZ527.  I'm thinking either a barrel for my TC Contender or building another AR for hunting use.  Here's a photo from 02' on the development of the cartridge.  Notice the barrel twist.

Here's Rob Letham and Steve Holland (uniform) with a M4 in 6.8 at Ft Campbell

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
CD, would that be a custom twist rate? ? ? ?     ;D

Thanks for the history artifacts, those are damned cool!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
Cool pics and post, CD....glad to see you back on here.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:37:07 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
Nice, and I will take this opportunity to again, say, accurate rifle shooting, starts with records, the target has good facts, but a record book will have more, including sight settings, wind direction, sun position, wind speed, etc... that will allow you to make 1st round hits in a place you have never been. I expect 100 yard shots will always be on target unless your in a hurricane with a centerfire rifle. But filling in the blanks lets you adjust, for shots further out. Also an iron sighted AR/M4 sighted in at 100/200 yards will shoot 6" low at less than 15 yards, really not a problem unless your shooting head shots, and even then if your on target, will hit the throat in line with the spine.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks CD. There is guy with a Stag 5H for sale. The barrel twist is 1/10. The price is pretty darn good at $750.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk