Author Topic: In need of music suggestions  (Read 38885 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
Re: In need of music suggestions
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2023, 07:35:49 AM »
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2023, 04:49:13 AM »
My favorite was always:

https://youtu.be/CHeq456OA-k?t=4

That's a nice tune. I don't recall ever hearing it before. My older brother had the Demons and Wizards LP with The Wizard and Easy Livin' on it. And The Magician's Birthday with Sunrise and Sweet Lorraine. And I remember hearing Stealin' on the radio. They still play it on SiriusXM if you tune in to the right kind of station. Those are really the only 5 songs I remember well, but I forgot about Sunrise. I was only looking at the singles they released over the years, not the other songs on the albums. This belongs on the top of the heap, not Gypsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyBjgXpPtY

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2023, 04:54:14 AM »
And not for something completely different. Grandmother's Song. Feel free to sing along if you know the words. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXIaOiRSMFw

Sponsor

« Reply #215 on: Today at 06:12:47 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2023, 07:52:44 PM »
When I left Rite Aid today I didn't like what SiriusXM was playing on Classic Rewind, or whatever station it was so I switched to 1st Wave and they were playing that Berlin song No More Words. It seems odd that I haven't heard it for years, then after I posted it, they played it on the radio.

On the Berlin album Pleasure Victim where it gave the band credits, it listed Vocals and BJs by Terri Nunn. On the LP where it usually has nothing but the record number pressed into the disk, Side A said Mechanically Aided Orgasms. I don't remember whose idea that was. Maybe songwriter, bassist, synth player, vocalist John Crawford's. And Side B said Bad Jokes, You Fool. That was Terri Nunn's response to her BJ album credit. Pleasure Victim is their second studio album, and the first album since the return of lead singer Terri Nunn to the group. It's their best-selling album and the band's only album to be certified platinum. The album peaked at number 30 on the Billboard 200 in May 1983. "Sex (I'm A...)" peaked at number 62 on the Billboard Hot 100, while subsequent singles "The Metro" and "Masquerade" reached numbers 58 and 82, respectively.

Love Life is their third studio album and has No More Words. Count Three & Pray is their fourth studio album and has Take My Breath Away from the 1986 film Top Gun. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986. They released a total of nine studio albums, two live albums, six compilation albums, two extended plays, 15 singles, three promotional singles, three video albums and 11 music videos.

Here's the whole Pleasure Victim album if anyone's interested. I haven't heard it all myself yet, but always thought Masquerade was a good song, for early '80 New Wave.

The way the song Pleasure Victim starts out reminds me a lot of something from Gary Numan (cars).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BKW69zak8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOouPiAWIPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bf_fBLvmQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTz1aTIX1u8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZ8NH0HT_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQwT-rkJL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvv1ahr0u6A

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:30 AM »
Surfing with the Alien is the second studio album by American rock guitarist Joe Satriani. It was released on October 15, 1987, by Relativity Records. The album is one of Satriani's most successful to date and helped establish his reputation as a respected rock guitarist. A "Rock God" or "Guitar God"according to many.

The album was recorded on a budget of $13,000. Satriani's equipment was limited by the budget, consisting of two Kramer Pacer guitars and an adapted Stratocaster guitar, for which he would change the pickups to get different sounds. To save money, the album heavily used drum machines, programmed by Bongo Bob Smith, with Jeff Campitelli recording overdubs of hi-hats, cymbals, toms and snares. Satriani stated this gave the music an "awkward charm", and maintained the combination of loose guitar playing and machine-like drum programming. "Satch Boogie" is the only song to fully feature live drums, played by Campitelli. The song was originally recorded to a drum machine pattern, and the quick fade-out disguised the sound of the drum machine being picked up by the amplifier at the end. The heavy metal-influenced "Crushing Day" contains the only solo on the album that was worked out beforehand, due to its length; the others are improvised. Satriani expressed regret for this decision later, as he felt constrained when having to play the song on stage. A Casio CZ-101 was used to record the flute and orchestral instruments on "Midnight".

It contains fast and complex songs such as the title track and "Satch Boogie", which helped to further popularize shred guitar during that time. By contrast slower, melodic songs such as "Always with Me, Always with You" and "Echo" provide a change of pace. "Midnight" utilizes the technique of two-handed tapping at high tempo, evoking a Spanish fingerstyle effect. "Ice 9" references the fictional apocalyptic substance from Kurt Vonnegut's 1963 novel Cat's Cradle.

The cover art of the original release depicts the Marvel Comics character Silver Surfer on the front, with the hand of Galactus on the back cover. The artwork, which was licensed from the publisher, is taken from a panel from Silver Surfer #1 (1982), drawn by John Byrne. Byrne did not receive a royalty for the art's use on the album cover. Satriani was unfamiliar with the Silver Surfer and had named the album and title track without the character in mind. However, Jim Kozlowski, the production manager for Relativity Records, was a comic book fan and had used the nickname "The Silver Surfer" as a radio DJ name. He suggested using the character for the album cover. Kozlowski presented the album to Marvel and obtained permission to use the character. Subsequently, Marvel Comics has paid homage to Satriani in Silver Surfer comics ("the planet Satriani") and Satriani has named later compositions after other elements of the Silver Surfer mythos ("Back to Shalla-Bal", "The Power Cosmic 2000").

The original license to use the character artwork was time-limited. Though the license was renewed multiple times, in 2018, Satriani and Marvel could not come to terms on a price, and so the cover art was replaced. As of 2018, digital retailers such as iTunes and Spotify display an alternative artwork that does not feature the Silver Surfer. In 2019 a limited deluxe edition of the album was released featuring a silver guitar headstock in place of the Silver Surfer. The background and font of this new artwork is very similar to the original with minor differences.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk