Author Topic: Swedish Mauser rework  (Read 4456 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Swedish Mauser rework
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »
I have a couple of Swdish Mausers that bubba has already gotten a hold of and are not in original military configureation.  In the future I'm thinking of building one into a tactilcal/sniper/precision rifle and the other into a sporter.  Any ideas on trigger, safety, scope mounts, stocks and other upgades, etc would be appreciated.  I'm not sure if I'm going to rebarrel or not.  I need to thouroughly evaluate the acuuracy of the existing military barrels first.  One has been "parkerized" and the barrel shortened and there is no front sight.  I thought I would use that one for the tactical rifle.  The other has had an older Redfield or Lyman receiver sight that I thought I would retain and make that rifle into a retro look sporter. 
Also I don't remember if the Swedes cock on open or close.  What are the advantages or dissadvatages of cock on open or cock on close.

Any ideas on my future projects?  Thank you.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Swedish Mauser rework
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
6.5x55 is a great round. Sporterized Mausers, done correctly are outstanding. The 1896, I believe cocked closed, the 1898 Argentine Mauser I own in 7.65x54 was sporterized by my grandfather and to this day shoots 187gr BTHP mil surp better than I can aim.

Scope mounts may require an offset for ejection, is the trigger bad? Check the integrity of the lands in the barrel, Mausers put aggressive twist rates, with distinct rifling. Here's a great site that had helpful info specific to Mauser Rifles.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedish/index.asp

MB has a post about his sporterized Mauser. Mine is still as tight as it was 100 years ago. Incredible work.

Retro Sporter? I would love to see pics.

Here's my 1891Argentine. I am going to redo the stock but have hesitations as it is hand boresighted and bedded dead on. If I flip up the rear sight, (that goes to 1500m), I think the Mauser Bros. had a revolutionary and awesome action in their rifles.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »
Nice rifle tw.  I really like blued steel and wood the best.  The craftsman ship on some of these old battle rifle is top notch.  I need to figure out how to work a digital camera and post pics.  I need to get it back from my daughter though.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
Nice rifle tw.  I really like blued steel and wood the best.  The craftsman ship on some of these old battle rifle is top notch.  I need to figure out how to work a digital camera and post pics.  I need to get it back from my daughter though.

Solve both problems at once, Have her show you  ;D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »
Thank you blackwolfe. I am torn between wishing it was original, and thankful my grandfather did such a good job.

Although, I left the metal buttplate, and after a few stripper clips, the ol' shoulder starts to feel it. But it worked on skulls and cheekbones in a pinch back in the day, (miss the bayonet lug sometimes,..)

Either way, they work. Great hunting rifle for sure.

Back before ammo was,... well,.... what it is today, I had 212gr armor piercing rds. Needless to say they pretty much would go through what it hit.

Wish I could find some more..

Get that camera back and go to photobucket.com, pretty straight forward.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:59:26 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
TW.....don't touch it, leave the dings and marks and history....it's beautiful the way it is IMO!

That is a work of art now, love it and keep it original. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »
 Years ago I bought a DWM marked Model 1895 Mauser 7X57 mm It had one ding in the stock, other wise it was like new, That is one I reget letting get away, paid $90 sold it for $75    :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk