Author Topic: MSWE 2021 -- Heads Up  (Read 6144 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: MSWE 2021 -- Heads Up
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
The Villages seems to have a "stealth" agenda, there.  I didn't see any grades for a 34' tall, guided, trap vertical in there.  And I'm guessing nobody has a 7 element full size yagi inside "the compound" either.

BUT, you may have convinced me to to Hustler, 4-BTV as opposed to MFJ. 

So sitting here thinking, why can't I build my  own SteppIR?  Use a 50' measuring tape at the base.  Put a pulley at the top of the vertical tube, then the motor pulls the tape up the tube.  That way the motor assembly isn't "hot".  I can control a stepper motor with an Arduino app.  Maybe not automatic tuning, but let's say I have 5 memory positions.  I adjust manual, one step-motor position at a time until I find resonance for each band then save that to memory.  If I want to work something else then manual adjustments would be used.  Maybe not as neat as a Steppir but a whole lot cheaper.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
I would not hesitate to go with a Hustler over the MFJ.  Manufacturer's claims being what they are.  If you don't need 75/80 then the 4BTV is the way to go. 

The Villages did show a 26' trapped vertical and the performance will be either slightly less or slightly more than a 34' depending on design, radials and placement.  Overall though, the difference between the heights will still grade out middle of the road compared to some other antennas.  I have a friend who swears by his vertical and plethora of radials and the reason for that is DX.  There is a low angle of radiation compared with other antennas he used to have.   

One thing you may one day want to make and I've threatened to do it forever is a Moxon.  They have a natural ~50 ohm connections and can be made of wire and fishing poles.  If you search around you can find 3 to 5 element versions.  The Moxon Rectangle has a low angle of radiation that's good for DX and has good rejection as well.  When time allows some year I'd like to build a 4 element pointed towards my brother-in-law in North Carolina.  So long as you are 20 meters and higher in frequency the Moxons are pretty small. 

With your Arduino experience I don't know why you couldn't do that SteppIR design....and with better quality parts. 

The full size 80 meter vertical rectangular loop I put up is pointed towards a buddy in Wyoming.  It's ~12' off the ground and has a tilt of 10-15 degrees from bottom to top and in this configuration has gain and nulls.  The gain is pointed towards Cody, Wyoming and it works well.  To know/do that sort of thing you need to have some antenna modeling software.  This is a good one:  https://antennasimulator.com/  .  With your interest in programming and Arduino I think you'll have a natural draw towards modeling antennas.   
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2021, 08:29:41 AM »
BTB, I skimmed through The Villages' Covenents, Restrictions and Rules. OMG.  It would become a hobby, a passion, my life's opus magnum to find ways to defy their petty laws if I lived there. 

If anybody lives nearby, though, I think a lucrative business could be had making "distinctive"  flowerpots. Patriotic, military and first responder themed might be popular.  Then tacky and vulgar designs would be next.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2021, 09:56:04 AM »
Seems like the Hustler antennas are available from several sources.  I've pretty much decided to order from DX Engineering.  They have the most extensive installation manual and accessories.

I'm getting the balum, the mounting plate, their Jet-Lube and the heavy duty lower sleeve.  Brings the total up to $450.

I've also decided, since I'm not going with a horizontal beam, to lower my tower 10'.  Right now it's at 26'.  All I have on it is two VHF/UHF verticals, on side bars and a TV antenna, which I don't need anymore.   That way the 4BTV won't be sticking up excessively high.  I'll have to evaluate my home made dual side arm.  It's a little "bendy", but I'm not paying $210ea for Rohn mounts.   I think if I replace the angle iron with pipes I can get a better mount for my VHF/UHF verticals.  Just need to find 4 stainless steel Cheesbourghs to clamp the vertical supports pipes on.

[Added]   We call them Cheeseboroughs in theatre, but DX Engineering calls the Genius Clamps.  Allows you to clamp to pipes are right angles.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 01:47:13 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk