Author Topic: Where should I sit in the class/boardroom  (Read 8173 times)

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Where should I sit in the class/boardroom
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
joemerchant14,

If you are single, I would suggest you sit next to the pretty girls in class.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »
joemerchant14,

If you are single, I would suggest you sit next to the pretty girls in class.
Kids...ya gotta tell them everything!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »
I was going back through posts ( yeah yeah yeah.. I know.. but it's part of my job.. ;))

I realize that most of these suggestions can be used anywhere, but the majority of the people are in eating
establishments, bars/nightclubs shopping centers etc..
Is there anything to add to this when you are out like this?

The reason is ..awhile back , a group of us were talking about "what if you were at a place"................... ......  ..........  .....
and since most of my family would be C/C, I know what you THINK you would do...but what you should do is another story.
And since lots/most people are not licensed ......I thought that maybe some of you who are more experienced in "the real world" could add some more to this thread. I will pass this link on to others who I think will find it informative .

Setting in rural laid back little town America, I don't know what I would do for sure. Adrenalin.. crowds, panic.. It all comes into play I am sure unless you are a professional.  .. I also know that I need to be more mentally prepared just in case.
((Been watching all the episodes of Jericho..and it has me a bit freaked out on "what if".....   :o))

Thanks.    :)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
Good thought Marshall'ette.  I tried to pass it on to M. Ayoob (friends have taken a couple of his class) and his e-mail was full.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
Coming from a background of practical self-defense/martial arts, I would suggest that you sit at the extreme side of the room (in the potential assailant's outer peripheral fringe, assuming he/she is at the head of the class) and as close to the front as possible. This may seem odd, but I would suggest it because; (1) If the assailant has a gun, you are completely ineffective as a fighter if you are not within arms reach; (2) the assailant is likely to develop tunnel-vision in an intense situation like a shooting scenario. The quicker you can close the distance on someone the better. After you have done that, you can implement empty-hand techniques to neutralize the assailant. This goes without saying, that by putting yourself in this position you are going to be in a high level of danger in the event of a shooting, but you are also more capable of neutralizing the threat. Pistol disarms take repetition upon repetition to ingrain in your muscle memory. I would strongly suggest enrolling in a Krav Maga program.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:25:34 AM »

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
Training = Have several gun/knife courses under the belt, looking to add Krav Maga to the card file.

No guns = In Nebraska, it's more than tossed from school, it's a gun crime on the record, permit pulled, and likely loss of pistol purchase permit. As for me, I don't discuss where I carry (legally or no) on an open forum. No offense.

Windows = There are nice large ones, which are great if the shooting starts in another room. If it starts in mine, I'm plugged long before we get to the window, let alone opened and out.

CS/Taser/Stick = CS, in the form of a Guardian Angel would be useful, anything that mists or fogs in that size of a room (and the pressure differential) would be bad. Tasers are an option. In the tight quarters of the classrooms (which are all pretty much the same) a blade is more useful than a stick.

Stay home = Crime would fall dramatically if everyone stayed locked in their basement 24/7. I'm not living that way. I look at life as an odds game. I work hard to keep the odds in my favor (stay out of North O, stay aware of the surroundings, don't shop in gun-free stores (on principle), lock my doors, etc. To complete this degree, however, I have no choice but to spend 3-4 hours, twice a week, in a gun-free zone. What I choose to do in that zone is a private matter. Again, no offense.

What I've learned so far:
Tom Gresham hit it in the head when he told me 'Sometimes, there are no good answers."

If armed with a firearm, distance is good, but could be offset if I'm the first target available.

If armed with an edged weapon, distance must be closed quickly.

Unless convinced otherwise, I will likely move closer to the door side of the room, along the wall 2-3 seats back.

My reasoning:
1) The first person in that row is likely first shot.
2) Along the wall makes me invisible until the perp is in the room.
3) I am out of the direct sight line of the perp when he or she enters (90 to the side)
4) If only armed with an edged weapon, I am close enough to have a chance at not getting shot.
5) If armed with a firearm, I won't have Suzy Sorority jumping up in my front sight.
6) If I miss or overpenetrate, the only thing to get hit is a cinderblock wall.

There is no right answer. Every seat has a good/bad side. As I said, life is an odds game. I'm just looking to skew the odds toward me as much as possible.

Thanks for the replies, keep talking.

Keep in mind, this discussion is not just about me and a classroom. Think about where you will sit at the next meeting in the boardroom, or the next lecture in an auditorium, or where you'll be in church.

Skew those odds, compadres.
Krav Maga is a excellent choice for training with the proper mind set as to not to lose against an opponent EVER. It incorporates several  techniques all into one and is not for the faint of heart. I have know several Israelis that have been trained and are experienced with it and have taught  me some of the techniques and found them very useful bot you  must choose your battles correctly .Stay safe.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and ipsc was beginning, We were told to set our digital watches to beep, at 1 or 2 hour intervals, and when that happened to look around and ask ourselves what if, that would become the scenario of the next match.
What I found was I got used to the beep, and would anticipate it ( like the alarm clock in the morning ) and begin looking 5 minutes before the watch sounded. This is the beginning of situational awareness. Where am I, what are my options for fight or flight? This made for many heated debates about what was practical and what was not. If your watch beeps and your in the heat of passion, or in church pew, it is valid, What if it happened now!!

The next chapter in the play is what our local constabulary calls being " Fat, Dumb and Happy "  this is the state that most people around us live in, it would be nice if this was ok, and mostly it is, but that is not for us. Always aware, Always prepared, one way or the other.  Stay and fight, or run away, depends on the situation, if being carjacked or led into a walkin refrigerator, fight like hell, because  your adversaries  want you dead, and your options are nil, armed or otherwise. If you see an out, take it and tell the Police all you saw.

I posted previously on the classroom scenario, and think, it was still a good observation, none of us want to be there on that day, but I think, superior mental attitude will rule the day. Uncle Jeff, bless his soul, said " make the decision to kill someone when you  wake up in the morning " that way when the time comes, you have already made it, and you don't have to mentally process that information.

Rocks, books,, flagstaffs, tables or chairs, are the available weapons in most classrooms,  use them as you see fit, and anything you can carry  with you,, umbrella or walking stick is a bonus. It depends on the orientation of the room as to where  I want to be be, perpendicular to the door  with my back to the door is a lousy place so, put me against the far left or right wall... The door parallel to the desk arrangement,, put me 2nd row against the inside wall with the door fairly close, where I could jump up and address said asshole and subdue he or her. ( not recommended, but the best approach given the circumstance) .

For God sakes and yours, if you hear gunshots, tell your teacher and the class, get down, lock the door, and if that is not possible, pile things against the door, evacuate people from the windows, as fast as possible, be prepared for a fight and maybe turn the lights out and look small.

Bottom line, choose not to be victim.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »

Rocks, books,, flagstaffs, tables or chairs, are the available weapons in most classrooms,  use them as you see fit, and anything you can carry  with you,, umbrella or walking stick is a bonus. It depends on the orientation of the room as to where  I want to be be, perpendicular to the door  with my back to the door is a lousy place so, put me against the far left or right wall... The door parallel to the desk arrangement,, put me 2nd row against the inside wall with the door fairly close, where I could jump up and address said asshole and subdue he or her. ( not recommended, but the best approach given the circumstance) .

I wholly concur...
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 01:41:54 AM »
I appreciate this very much. Thanks...
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 02:36:52 AM »
To sum up everyone else's good advice, If you can get out, GET OUT ! If you can not get out, KILL THE SOB. The only DANGEROUS weapon is the prepared mind, Everything else is just a tool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk