Poll

title

The motors
19 (70.4%)
The women
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Which is a cheaper pair??  (Read 7519 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Which is a cheaper pair??
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:16 PM »
UH (he says innocently) where's the "pair".   I see the two engines, but I only see one lady.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
When Eddie Hill was competing in NHRA Top Fuel racing back in the late 80's and early 90's, I saw an interview with him. The interviewer asked him how much the motor was worth in his Top Fuel dragster. He said from the top of the supercharger to the bottom of the oil pan he had right around $75,000.00 in it. I'm guessing that with inflation factored in today that amount would be closer to $100,000.00. I knew a lot of women that came cheaper than that!  Bill T.

To give you a idea on the kind of money we are talking about here.  The blowers with out any pulls or a snout are $9200 each, from PSI.

Each pully is about $500 each, you need 2, the snouts are about $1200 for just the housings, the shafts are another $500.   So for just the blowers you are looking at about 14k for blower and the other "stuff" needed.  Some where in the ball park of 25k for just the stuff hung off the motor.  Not including exhast systems, which are another 5k as they are for a boat.     They are 100k each easy.  I would not be shocked if its close to 150k each.

Something else to think about, these motors are basicly rebuilt after every race.  Throw away everthing but the block and heads.  That is assuming you didn't break anything.  Topfuel cars you have to throw every thing away but the block/heads after every run.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:14 PM »
  Once you get your motors"Lady Friends" properly tuned, they do what you want them to do each time you want them to do it.

You just have to know how to do a proper tune up.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
When Eddie Hill was competing in NHRA Top Fuel racing back in the late 80's and early 90's, I saw an interview with him. The interviewer asked him how much the motor was worth in his Top Fuel dragster. He said from the top of the supercharger to the bottom of the oil pan he had right around $75,000.00 in it. I'm guessing that with inflation factored in today that amount would be closer to $100,000.00. I knew a lot of women that came cheaper than that!  Bill T.
Yeah, but how much did it cost to get rid of them? ;D
FQ13 Paging Mr. Woods  ;D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Yeah, but how much did it cost to get rid of them? ;D
FQ13 Paging Mr. Woods  ;D

You can still recycle the motor parts, probably get something in return. When was the last time you got paid to unload the other pair?

Yes ma'am, corner it is. Any beef sticks left?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:20:03 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
I volunteer to do compression tests.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
I volunteer to do compression tests.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
Never got paid to "unload the other pair" but it sure was cheaper than keeping them!  LOL

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
How long would engines like that last hours wise, if you took really good care of them, and didn't beat the crap out of them?   Bill T.

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
How long would engines like that last hours wise, if you took really good care of them, and didn't beat the crap out of them?   Bill T.

One of these engines can burn 20 gallons a fuel in about 12 seconds.  When they run them, like TAB said, they rebuild them as well as the clutch assembly.  So, figure about five minutes in staging and about 4-5 second runs.

It was only in the last ten years or so that they actually found out how much horsepower they could develop with top fuel engines because there were no dynos capable of measuring the numbers.

They estimated several thousand and it turned out to be about 7000 horsepower.  I've seen interviews with top fuel crew chiefs that say though they will build the motors, they would never drive one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk