Author Topic: Where To Buy Tires ???  (Read 8829 times)

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Where To Buy Tires ???
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
I've always been very please with Discount Tires.  Free lifetime rotation & balancing.  I do get (and have used) the road hazard insurance.  They have always honored it with no questions asked.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:41 AM »
One other consideration is convenience.

I use to chase all over town buying tires from whomever seemed to have the best deal.  Costco, KMart, Sear, NTB, Tiretown.

I finally realized that, for me, convenience counted for something.   I now use the local Goodyear dealer.   He's only 4 blocks from work, drops me off and picks me up, lifetime balancing and rotation, and road hazard repair.  A small discount because I am a neighbor and my wife teaches his grand-kids.    The balancing and rotation are enough to pay for the cost over the discount stores.  Not to mention the extended life of the tires because I'm more apt to get the work done than with another store that might be 10 miles or more away.

Just a thought.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:38:40 AM »
2 years ago I bought bigO brand for the work truck( same size) they have been great, 20k miles on them no iisuses they were about 150 each.  They were made by kelly in japan.  they have a pretty aggressive tread, but make no noise.

sams and costco does not carry that size, trust me I looked.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Bad experiences with Cooper tires and the belts shifting.

You are going to get plugged with anything you get for a truck, mostly because BHO PUT A TAX ON IMPORTED TIRES AND DROVE THE COST UP.  Most of those things are imported, so...when I was expecting to pay $750-$800 last year for 10 ply tires for the F250 it turned out to be $1,100.  So I'm thinking the gov made off with $300 last year.

I ended up with Firestone Transforce HT.  80 MPH for hours at 100 degrees and no problem. They may be cheaper than the Goodyears...I dunno, certainly cheaper for 1/2 ton and fewer plies.   1st set for the truck, like the 4th for the Excursion....good for 60k miles.

I'm glad you brought this up.  Next time I buy I want American made if for no other reason than to keep the government from getting the tax directly from me.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
Bad experiences with Cooper tires and the belts shifting.

I had the same thing happen to me with Remington Tires. All of a sudden at 15 to 20 MPH the whole car started acting like it was on drugs. As I pulled it into the garage, Mel noticed the tread was zigzagged on the tire. The whole tread was squirming around on the carcass of the tire itself. That's when I put these Goodyear Wranglers on. Tires are like guns. You get what you pay for, except they're not as much fun.  :'(   Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:44:13 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
Bill, I have (like M25 said) bought several sets of tires from TireRack.com and had really good luck and pricing. But their prices have went up.
I ordered a set for my younger son last year for his Chevy 4x4 and we got a heck of a deal from DiscountTire.com. He bought 4 Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75/16's for $600 shipping included. These are very nice tires and after nearly a year, show no serious wear.

They run specials all the time. We ordered on Monday and got all 4 by Thursday.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

http://www.tirerack.com/

**As a side note: I buy my BF Goodrich tires from Sam's, but will probably go with DiscountTire.com next time. My last experience (last year) with the Sam's in my area was enough to sour me. It took 3 1/2 hours to get 4 new tires mounted and we were the only vehicle there. Also, I have bought my last set from Wally world also. I got a set of Goodyear Wranglers two years ago for my wife's Envoy and can't keep them balanced. One of the local tire guys said that wally buys 'seconds' and sometimes they just are so bad out of balance that there is nothing that can be done......and it takes an act of Congress to get wally to replace the bad tire (even with the warranty) if there is no 'visible' damage.
JMHO, FWIW
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
Tire pricing is tied to oil pricing.  Nothing you can do about it at this point.

I have Wranglers in my PU too but I probably wouldn't buy them again.  You'd spend a grand on a gun to protect your life so 1000 bucks on tires for your vehicle should get the same respect.

Tires, having sold and mounted a few thousand back in the day, are the single most important safety issue (besides the brakes) you can buy for your vehicle.  This is a no brainer....f..k the cost and buy the best tire you can afford which I'm sure ain't gonna put a dent in your ammo budget!

Your tires didn't fall apart from mileage, they shredded because they were ten years old.  Rubber gets brittle, four or five years, regardless of their mileage, they need to be replaced.  Tires are stamped at the factory with a "born on date", I always check the dates before I have them mounted at the dealer.  For that reason I won't buy them from an online resource.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
Personally, I would rather buy from a local dealer....but all the tire shops in my town have too much mark-up. The BFG Long Trail's I have been buying from Sam's cost me about $750 mounted and balanced, with warranty and lifetime balancing. They guy in my hometown (that my family had used for years) wanted just over $1200 for the exact same 4 tires. I understand it is due to the fact that he can't buy in bulk like Sam's, but I just can't afford to pay the extra $500. Heck, if he could just get close to Sam's price, I'd buy from him because he will do it on a 90-day payment plan.....but again, 500 smackers is just too much.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
I run 31's on the Suburban, and just went through this.  I ended up getting the Yokohama's over the Coopers, mainly for price.  These tires are going to run you $150 and up for anything reputable right now.  On my truck I run even bigger tires, and for those I use Coopers as I need the more aggressive tread.  I never get full tread life due to our road and using 4x4 a lot.

I use Costco for my wife's Suby more for convienince, but the local Tire Rama dealer for all else.  Costco just replace them on my her car at a steep discount.  We had 40k on 60k warranty tires and they were darn near bald.  They were shocked, I wasn't.  The local dealer has been excellent.

I did check out Tire Rack, but the places that will install the tires are so far away that it eats up any savings I would get.  You will probably have much better luck down in your area.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
I got my Goodyear wranglers at Sam's about 3 years ago for about $500 (SET  OF 4)out the door, this included mounting,balancing, new stems,tax and road hazard warr. with free rotations. They were the 31x10.50x15, WELL WORTH THE $45 MEMBERSHIP FEE
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk