Author Topic: Where's All the Ammo in my area???...Major bummer...  (Read 4848 times)

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where's All the Ammo in my area???...Major bummer...
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:38:27 PM »
Went to Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX today planning to spend a gift card that I received for Christmas.  I couldn't wait to stock up on some .45 ACP.....  Much to my surprise there were only 2 boxes in the entire store!!!!  Wow what a surprise.  So on to .40...5 boxes on the shelves...RATS!!!!!  The one bright spot was that there was more .223 than I have seen in a long time, but for the most part, the shelves were pretty bare.

Then, on to Dick's... It looked like they'd thrown all of their pistol ammo away so they could clean the shelves.

Sorry for the rant....

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Where's All the Ammo in my area???...Major bummer...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
Seems to be the case in my area too. The local wally world looks like it is getting out of the ammo business, except for various bird shot. I haven't had the courage to ask them if they really are or not. The only ones who have ammo are the ones who started pricing their stuff at double what they used to. Gouging us.  >:(  :(
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
Went to Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX today planning to spend a gift card that I received for Christmas.  I couldn't wait to stock up on some .45 ACP.....  Much to my surprise there were only 2 boxes in the entire store!!!!  Wow what a surprise.  So on to .40...5 boxes on the shelves...RATS!!!!!  The one bright spot was that there was more .223 than I have seen in a long time, but for the most part, the shelves were pretty bare.

Then, on to Dick's... It looked like they'd thrown all of their pistol ammo away so they could clean the shelves.

Sorry for the rant....

I went to the Cincinnati BPS to get some 9mms and they were out. I got some SD ammo which I currently use but will be replacing with one of two brands that they don't carry (either Speer Gold Dots or DoubleTap with Speer Gold Dots, 'cause I love them Gold Dots  :D) I bought some cleaning supplies and two boxes of .45 ACP from Winchester that I've only seen on BPS shelves and no one esle seems to have it  ::)

At Dick's, I've gotten a 1000rds of Rem UMC 115 gn 9mms for an execellent deal of $69.80 per 500 about a year or two ago and the two separate batches have been less than flawless to be polite about it in my guns. I haven't really shopped there for ammo for a while now since I'm starting to wonder if the deals I've gotten were due to the stock being "second" grade ammunition. It may be undercharged or just incompatible with my guns.

I used to buy 100 round "value-paks" of Federal multi-purpose shotshells from Wallyworld for $14.88 plus tax. I miss those days. Just the other day, it's going for $23 per 100 value-pak. They don't sell guns at my store anymore, which is okay for me, but not for others. They still sell some ammo and clays. I'm one of those supporters of Wallyworld, but it certainly isn't what it used to be. Times change, but sometimes I wish we were all back in the day when ammo was bought at the hardware store and guns, both regular and extra-fast shooting, through the mail-order catalog system. Also everyone was polite 'cause you don't know what is in the other's pocket.

Anyways, rants will attract other rants so I hope you enjoyed mine. If not, sorry no refunds on those precious minutes of you life.   ;D
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »

Sorry for the rant....

I think it has something to do with some guy named Barack Obama. But I could be totally mistaken......  ;)

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
I wondered if Wal-Mart was getting out of ammo sales too, I went looking for some .38 spcl. and was told they were sold out, I did ask if they were stopped stocking it but the woman said that they just can't keep it in stock.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:02:45 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
A little of both I suppose, not selling guns but ammo, and stocking light, and then BOOM, people want ammo, and guns, but AMMO, definitely,  Maybe we can make Wally World stock ammo again, if not try Academy. Prices are so high, I can't function,  I need thousands of rounds, not hundreds. Learn to RELOAD, nuff said.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »
I wondered if Wal-Mart was getting out of ammo sales too, I went looking for some .38 spcl. and was told they were sold out, I did ask if they were stopped stocking it but the woman said that they just can't keep it in stock.

Yup.  Every Wal-Mart in the Tulsa area runs out within a day of stocking.  Every clerk says the same thing...incredible run on ammo.  Most are even running out of 22 LR.  About what is left is .357Sig and Blazer for pistol, for rifle ammo there are some hunting rounds left, but not 30-06 or .308....except for the $30+ a box stuff......and forget .380, the current .380 craze has wiped them out for months.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:07:55 AM »
Most of the big box sporting goods stores here have trouble with supplies too, scattered availability and high prices. Personally, I stay away from Rem ammo, bad experience with their .22 ammo (4-6 misfires per 50 round box). Oddly enough, I do have some 6.8 Rem SPC ammo though, but with 40+ inches of snow on the ground and minus temps, for some reason I haven't been to the range lately.

I also noticed that for reloading you can get almost any old school hunting caliber materials you want. Modern stuff (.223, .308) - you're SOL. I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought some used brass at the gun show last month, will probably have to throw half of it out once I examine it, but it was oddly cheap - I'm guessing range sweepings.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
At wally's in Denver they were about 2/3 out of ammo.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »

There is also another consideration here. The big box stores count ammo as a percentage of their total take....it could be that in these dark days their funding may be limited and they might be selling a lot more canned soup or underwear or a fewother things, so they're just not BUYING as much ammo as they used to. Or their margin on ammo is lousy and they make a lot more on Barbie dolls and Cheetos so that's where they're putting their money.
It's a possibility.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk