Author Topic: which round has the best range  (Read 2582 times)

bigkahuna07

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
which round has the best range
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
I have been looking at some rifles and have been thinking "what round has the best range" and would like to know which it is I have always thought it was a 50 cal round but I might be wrong so I am asking some advice on this.

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: which round has the best range
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
If your looking for the best, regardless of price, I believe its the .416 Barrett.  Its a very expensive round though.  If your looking for realistic gun for ownership you may look at magnum rounds, 7mm and the such.

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
I would say .408 Cheytac, but the same problem as above...
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
Part of the answer depends on how you balance accuracy, cost and terminal ballistics.   If I were in pursuit of some serious long range results, I might place accuracy over raw downrange energy.   In that case I'd look at sectional densities and ballistic coefficients.  I haven't looked at the larger calibers (.400-.500) but when I seem to recall that .32-.34 bullets and rounds produced some of the better results in the <.40caliber families.   I could be wrong....frequently am.

So I, and this is just me, would then balance downrange energy, cost, availability of ammo/components, cost/availability of firearms and recoil.  The choices would rangefrom the .338-06/.338-08 on the low end, to the .338 Magnum on the high end.  Or I could just wimp out with the .308 Win or the .300 Win Mag.  And there are RUMs and WSMs and WSSMs and other cartridges to choose from.

Now the Barrett class, (I call them super-magnums) are a whole 'nother ball game and out of my league.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
I think the .416 Barrett has the longest practical range. Unless you include artillary.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:19:49 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
I think the .416 Barrett has the longest practical range. Unless you include artillary.

.50 BMG and .416 Barret carry further than any Civil war cannon you could afford.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
I think in a shoulder fired rifle, the 416 Barret is the current best, and the .338 Lapua a good cousin, the .408 Cheytac is also built for long range, But as a rifleman, I must caution everyone, beyond 500 meters with any of these calibers, you MUST know how to read the wind, know your sighting system and how it works, read the conditions, and have accurate information about your ballistics of any caliber you chose. There is no magic bullet or caliber, at some point, you have to be able to read and adjust to the conditions, wind, mirage, and distance. A competent rifleman has studied, and practiced, kept a record book, and has a play book, to make decisions, as far as their personal rifle, in different conditions.

Maybe a different thread, but becoming a rifleman and or a pistol shot, begins with record keeping, if you will take the time to record your results, with a real record book, and then analyze the results, and make sight correction accordingly, you will shoot better, rifle or pistol. This is not 7 yard stuff, 25 yards and beyond for pistol, and 300 yards and beyond for rifle. 50 yards and beyond for .22 rimfire. The record book should include, sight adjustment settings, plotting your groups, angle of the sun and intensity, wind speed and direction, mirage evaluation, on a rifle, your sling adjustment, ( which notch is your sling adjusted to ), distance shooting is an art, not equipment, better equipment helps, but not beyond 500 meters with the best stuff, you need to know the rifle, and your ability to read the conditions and adjust. An accomplished rifleman  can make hits to 800 yards with an M1, a thousand yard takes much more, but with an accurate rifle and the ability to read the conditions, can make hits at the 1,000 yard mark, but believe me, it takes ability, everything comes into play, a thousand yards is the limit of a .30 caliber cartridge, even magnums, magnums will bu you a few extra yards, but not a few hundred.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
I think in a shoulder fired rifle, the 416 Barret is the current best, and the .338 Lapua a good cousin, the .408 Cheytac is also built for long range, But as a rifleman, I must caution everyone, beyond 500 meters with any of these calibers, you MUST know how to read the wind, know your sighting system and how it works, read the conditions, and have accurate information about your ballistics of any caliber you chose. There is no magic bullet or caliber, at some point, you have to be able to read and adjust to the conditions, wind, mirage, and distance. A competent rifleman has studied, and practiced, kept a record book, and has a play book, to make decisions, as far as their personal rifle, in different conditions.

Maybe a different thread, but becoming a rifleman and or a pistol shot, begins with record keeping, if you will take the time to record your results, with a real record book, and then analyze the results, and make sight correction accordingly, you will shoot better, rifle or pistol. This is not 7 yard stuff, 25 yards and beyond for pistol, and 300 yards and beyond for rifle. 50 yards and beyond for .22 rimfire. The record book should include, sight adjustment settings, plotting your groups, angle of the sun and intensity, wind speed and direction, mirage evaluation, on a rifle, your sling adjustment, ( which notch is your sling adjusted to ), distance shooting is an art, not equipment, better equipment helps, but not beyond 500 meters with the best stuff, you need to know the rifle, and your ability to read the conditions and adjust. An accomplished rifleman  can make hits to 800 yards with an M1, a thousand yard takes much more, but with an accurate rifle and the ability to read the conditions, can make hits at the 1,000 yard mark, but believe me, it takes ability, everything comes into play, a thousand yards is the limit of a .30 caliber cartridge, even magnums, magnums will bu you a few extra yards, but not a few hundred.

BANG.....m25operator just introduced the hammer to the head of the nail.   

8)

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Question with a LOT of variables. 

Range for what?

Squirrels? Moose? Rhino? Cape Buffalo? Two-legged critters? My Ruger 10/22 is Bad A** on tiny varmints at 50-100yds. but I won't shoot it at a deer at all...

A .375 H+H will devastate just about anything, but at a large target at 500-750 yds.?

What is the target? What is the application? Elephants at 750yds.? ,, or squirrels at 50?

I like my 10/22 Ruger for the little critters, and my 30-30 Winchester for deer out to 100yds.

.308? .338 Lapua? 30-06 has a good rep... 7mm-08 rifles will drop a lot of stuff downrange, but so will a 22-250 on prairie dogs.
.458Weatherby Mag. past 750 yds? What is the objective?
I'm sorry,.. the question is too vague......

from m25operator:

A competent rifleman has studied, and practiced, kept a record book, and has a play book, to make decisions, as far as their personal rifle, in different conditions.

+1 Whether its a .22LR or a 50BMG.....

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk