Author Topic: Where ya from?  (Read 113035 times)

THE CORONER

• SHOOT STRAIGHT, SHOOT OFTEN, AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR SPORT WITH THE FUTURE GENERATIONS.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • DARKWATER FIREARMS AT WILLOW POINT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where ya from?
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
Just wondering where ya all call home.  Your State that is.  Tell us why you like where you live, and why you don't.  Some folks don't have it mentioned on there profile.  Just curious.  You don't have to tell us if it's invading you're privacy.

I'll start...

I'm from Northern Ohio, about 40 minutes south of Lake Erie.  Just about due south of Sandusky, Ohio.  I love summer in Ohio except for the humidity.  I enjoy riding my motorcycle north, south, east, and west.  There's always an interesting destination to roll to.  Winters are well, unpleasant.  Arctic winds pound the north coast here, and while I'm not directly in the snow belt, we get enough!  Winters seem to be getting more painful for me as every year passes.  Since our kids are grown and gone from the nest; we are considering a warmer climate to relocate to.  Gun friendly climate ofcourse!

CORONER - SAVAGE 350 SECURITY 12 GA. SHOTGUN
TOETAGGER - WINCHESTER MODEL 94, .30-30
VINDICATOR - RUGER LCP .380 ACP
WIDOWMAKER - RUGER SINGLE SUPER SIX 3-SCREW .22
PLINKALOTER - HERITAGE ROUGH RIDER .22 COMBO 6.5" BRL
BUCKEYE FIREARMS MEMBER
NRA MEMBER

"Governments don't live together, people live together.  With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight.  Well, I've come to give you either one.  Or get either one from you."  Josie Wales

tombogan03884

Re: Where ya from?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 02:07:59 AM »
Just wondering where ya all call home.  Your State that is.  Tell us why you like where you live, and why you don't.  Some folks don't have it mentioned on there profile.  Just curious.  You don't have to tell us if it's invading you're privacy.

I'll start...

I'm from Northern Ohio, about 40 minutes south of Lake Erie.  Just about due south of Sandusky, Ohio.  I love summer in Ohio except for the humidity.  I enjoy riding my motorcycle north, south, east, and west.  There's always an interesting destination to roll to.  Winters are well, unpleasant.  Arctic winds pound the north coast here, and while I'm not directly in the snow belt, we get enough!  Winters seem to be getting more painful for me as every year passes.  Since our kids are grown and gone from the nest; we are considering a warmer climate to relocate to.  Gun friendly climate ofcourse!

Sandusky area is the OLD frontier, The Frontier that Alan Ekert wrote about in the post Revolutionary period.
I'm in Central NH, No State income tax, no sales tax and the 2d best gun laws in the country.

THE CORONER

• SHOOT STRAIGHT, SHOOT OFTEN, AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR SPORT WITH THE FUTURE GENERATIONS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:35 AM »
Sandusky area is the OLD frontier, The Frontier that Alan Ekert wrote about in the post Revolutionary period.
I'm in Central NH, No State income tax, no sales tax and the 2d best gun laws in the country.

Home of the Sufferers Tom.  The War of 1812 brought folks burned out by Benedict Arnold in Conn. to our area.  We have towns with the same names as those early Conn. towns.  New London, Norwalk, Plymouth, Danbury, New Haven, etc...  I've lived here all my life.  Wasn't Mr. Ekert the first settler here?  Milan I think?  Maybe Avery, I'm not sure?

Yeah, NH ranks high on that lists you posted.  Too bad it's so damn nasty there in the winter!
BUCKEYE FIREARMS MEMBER
NRA MEMBER

"Governments don't live together, people live together.  With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight.  Well, I've come to give you either one.  Or get either one from you."  Josie Wales

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:24 AM »
Home of the Sufferers Tom.  The War of 1812 brought folks burned out by Benedict Arnold in Conn. to our area.  We have towns with the same names as those early Conn. towns.  New London, Norwalk, Plymouth, Danbury, New Haven, etc...  I've lived here all my life.  Wasn't Mr. Ekert the first settler here?  Milan I think?  Maybe Avery, I'm not sure?

Yeah, NH ranks high on that lists you posted.  Too bad it's so damn nasty there in the winter!

I didn't realize that that about the settlers in that area. I know Alan Ekert grew up there, that's what led him to right the books about the history of the "North East frontier" but how long they had been there I don't know.
As for nasty in winter, there is that, It's why so many families had lots of kids  ;D

THE CORONER

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
I didn't realize that that about the settlers in that area. I know Alan Ekert grew up there, that's what led him to right the books about the history of the "North East frontier" but how long they had been there I don't know.
As for nasty in winter, there is that, It's why so many families had lots of kids  ;D

I know whatcha mean on having so many kids!  My first ancestor to America came from Alsace-Lorraine France.  The area then was predominately German Speaking.  As is the case of my family.  When Ferdinand, my ancestor of course; settled in the western edge of the firelands.  He was married 4 times.  And fathered 26 children with 3 of his wives.  That's a hell of a man!
BUCKEYE FIREARMS MEMBER
NRA MEMBER

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:54:56 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »

I'll start...

As much as I am loath to admit another Yankee to the sunshine state, you I can tolerate. Give Fl. a try.
fighting quaker13
PS fair warning, it does get cold.It dipped down to almost 68 today

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:41:07 AM »
They say the Frontier was "hell on women". Mine (ancestors) came from Ireland, My Dads by way of New Brunswick, and my Mom's through Mass.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »
Currently eastern ND, started in western ND. Before that, my family was from Ashtabula, OH (Dad) and Jackson, OH (Mom). I grew up and lived in Norther Illinois until some years ago when I moved here.

My Mom's ancestors moved to what is now Ohio after one of them waxed eloquent about the beauty of the Western Reserve when he was there during a little Indian trouble (Lord Dunsmore's War, Battle of Point Pleasant and the subsequent treaty with Chief Cornstalk).

My Dad's great-grandfather settled west of Erie PA after serving as an itinerant preacher in the 1840s in that area.

I have no documentation on the tactical pants that they wore.   >:(
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »
Hey CORONER, I'm from NE Ohio - Ravenna (just East of Kent).  Do you ever get to the Maumee GS?  Too far for me but I know my GS sets up there...he does good work but a little slow. 

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
SW Minnesota - 30 miles from the Iowa border (just a neighbor of TT), and 80 miles from the South Dakota border.

We currently live (make that sound like we move a lot, but we've lived on this place for 25 years next month, and I've been in this town for 31 years last Thanksgiving) fifty miles from the place I was born and 35 miles from the homestead my mom was born on and I have always referred to as my real home. 

I'm not really so limited to exposure as it sounds.  I did three years in the Twin Cities in grade school, eight years in the Los Angeles basin (graduating from high school and surfing a lot), and a year of vo-tech in Phoenix before moving back to God's country.

Ancestors are all from Norway and Denmark - fishermen and farmers that ended up in Minnesota and South Dakota in the late 19th century.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk