Author Topic: Where the Buffalo roam  (Read 3918 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Where the Buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »
Not sure on the 12ga slug for buffalo. To drop it humanely, you need a decent hunting round.

I forgot to mention this morning - the buffalo cow I dropped was in running the rather large corral. I was using a lever-action Marlin .30-30 with soft-nose. Shades of the old days.

Took a couple of shots, apparently she was ducking when I fired. Actually, she was stopping at the back of a building and turning around, and since she was stopped, I shot - as she started running, so I had 3 close holes in her hump - right above the spine I was going for. I finally figured out what was happening and dropped her. Bled her out right there - the other 2 were already gone - and took her to the fellow helping me to butcher them.

I had kept them in the corral to keep them from jumping anymore fences, fed them corn and hay. They dressed out at 190 a side. Five years later I still have some in the freezer, absolutely fantastic meat.

It's good to be a carnivore.

And the St. Jo cops ruined good buffalo, but then it wasn't their property.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »
.454 from a lever should (will) do the jobe nicely.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
.454 from a lever should (will) do the jobe nicely.
I disagree Haz. The St Joe PD obviously needs to be issued Sharp's rifles in 45-70. ;D
FQ13

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »
"It's been disposed of. We buried it," Grimes said.

What a waste >:(  That would have been some good eating ;D

Follow the footnotes and fine print:

"buried in a pit with hot rocks and wet seaweed  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
Talked to some LEO friends about this tonight that were there.  Sounds like the round used was polymer tipped and designed not to over penetrate.
Some of those invoved have gotten pretty specific and graphic death threats.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:09:24 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk