Author Topic: Which 10/22 ?  (Read 4170 times)

Indy5000

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which 10/22 ?
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
I've been wanting to get a Ruger 10/22 to pair with my mid-1980s Stainless MarkII with Bull Barrel.  At first glance I kind of like the synthetic stock with the stainless as it pairs well with my Mark II.  But, maybe one of the target models would be a better choice.  The target model comes in either stainless or blued.  Any preference there?  Right now I'm just getting back into shooting after a long time out of the sport.  I'd love to be able to shoot my .22s in events like the Ruger Rim Fire Challenge but I haven't looked for similar events in Texas.  Is there a particular model that is a better choice for possible future upgrades from the likes of Tactical Solutions?

Any input will be greatly appreciate.

I realize the DRTV "Give away gun" would easily solve my problem.  ;) :D ;D

Be Safe!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Re: Which 10/22 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
I used to be a big fan in wood and blue.  However, as I age I like stainless and synthetic more and more.  S & S will never compare to wood and blue for beauty, but durability, ease of care and the total lack of fear of hunting and shooting in less than bluebird days is great.

As each year goes by I get pickier and pickier about things like trigger pull, fine sights, and repeatability.  I would like to say it is all about maturing in my shooting (aging eyes requiring the gun to do more), but I think it has more to do with poor decisions made in trying to save a few pennies on "utility guns" in the past.  Today I will spend twice as much to get a good gun that will out preform me rather than buying low price and trying to figure out what is wrong with what I'm doing.

Good luck on the search.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

dhpalitza

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:46:37 PM »
Hey maybe you'll win Michael's 10/22.  It looks pretty sweet!

wakatomika creek

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
I've been wanting to get a Ruger 10/22 to pair with my mid-1980s Stainless MarkII with Bull Barrel.  At first glance I kind of like the synthetic stock with the stainless as it pairs well with my Mark II.  But, maybe one of the target models would be a better choice.  The target model comes in either stainless or blued.  Any preference there?  Right now I'm just getting back into shooting after a long time out of the sport.  I'd love to be able to shoot my .22s in events like the Ruger Rim Fire Challenge but I haven't looked for similar events in Texas.  Is there a particular model that is a better choice for possible future upgrades from the likes of Tactical Solutions?

Be Safe!
Indy;
If you happen to be of the same degree of "Lucky" ness as Me you will need to buy your 10-22. For Christmas last year My son bought for his son a new standard blued / tree wood stocked thin barrel 10-22. I have had a limited exposure to them and was not thinking "tack driver" but kept an open mind. We had a little trouble coming up with a mount but settled for a see thru Leupold mount and an inexpensive 4 power 1 inch scope with fairly good optics but let me stress "Inexpensive" To my surprise and to the pleasant surprise of my grandson who is 8 years old, 5 shots from a bench rest at 50 yards will go into less than 1/2 inch. The gun is a tack driving standard model. Don't rule out a standard 10-22 or a stainless barreled wood stocked one as they can be very accurate and unless you are planning on serious competition that is probably all that is necessary. Have fun looking for and buying and especially shooting your gun , and share the sport with a kid, they are our future! :) :)
Wakatomika.

Tin Can Alley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
magnum research makes one with a carbon barrell and the same stock that you saw on the Rim Fire Challenge.
browning buckmark is nice also

on the lower end the one you saw michael holding was a laminated ruger with a stainless bull barrell ( factory gun) for about 375.00 list is 500.00

ill post some pics if ya like

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:09:04 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:09:00 AM »

Be Safe!

Check this one out

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=62832&item=1178%2DRUG&instock=all&manufact_combo=Ruger&mod_ser_combo=10%2F22&category_combo=None&model=10%2F22&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=None&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

NikHabicht

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
Either Michael's --- if you're lucky --- or one from Tactical Solutions....

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
magnum research makes one with a carbon barrell and the same stock that you saw on the Rim Fire Challenge.
browning buckmark is nice also

on the lower end the one you saw michael holding was a laminated ruger with a stainless bull barrell ( factory gun) for about 375.00 list is 500.00

ill post some pics if ya like
I have this gun and love it it is light and fast! I think it is the best bang for the buck but you must put a scope of some kind on it. I have a Eotech on mine

Jon
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Indy5000

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:13:46 AM »
Thank you all for the great input.

wakatomika creek: I didn't mention it but part of the process is for my brother and I to get my nieces out to the range more.

Hazcat: I had looked online at the US Shooting version with the laminated stock.  I will try to find locally so I can check it out.  That might be be the best bang for the buck.  I already intended to put some kind of optic on what I buy so that would be great.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »
Thank you all for the great input.

wakatomika creek: I didn't mention it but part of the process is for my brother and I to get my nieces out to the range more.

Hazcat: I had looked online at the US Shooting version with the laminated stock.  I will try to find locally so I can check it out.  That might be be the best bang for the buck.  I already intended to put some kind of optic on what I buy so that would be great.

Indy, I sent you a link via priveta message that will help you find a dealer.  But just in case here it is again.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk