Author Topic: Want to hear more about the 329 and Marlin 44 Travel Guns  (Read 2393 times)

Tennessee Jed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Want to hear more about the 329 and Marlin 44 Travel Guns
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
Michael,

Love your podcasts, thank you for them, your shows, and all that you do.

I noticed on your blog you mentioned your S&W 329 setup and a Marlin 44 takedown rifle as travel guns.  You have mentioned the 329 on the podcast before, I believe, and said you were going to create this package.  Any chance you can flush out the details a bit more on the podcast?  In particular, I'd love to hear your thought process that led you to the choice of revolver and lever action rifle, as well as caliber.  

For example, why did you choose rifle over shotgun?  Revolver over semi-auto?  44 Special and Magnum over a caliber that might be easier to locate?  I've been looking into a similar "get-me-home-no-matter-what" pack, and I always learn something when you explain your decisions.

Thanks,

TN Jed

(EDITED to remove info that I didn't notice in the first read of the blog...sorry)  

Tennessee Jed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks so much!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
I just listened to this week's podcast and wanted to say thanks so much!  I never thought you'd spend so much time explaining the rationale, but am very grateful you did.

Very interesting, this "lowest common denominator" concept.  Makes complete sense.  The one aspect I had not considered, which you mentioned in the podcast, is that fact that NJ prohibits hollowpoints.  Very logical to have a 44 with Keith SWC's available for that contingency, and for penetration when needed.  You can't argue with the past proven results of that load.

I currently use a coach gun for my own get-home-no-matter-what pack.  For my personal situation, I think a shotgun covers more bases than a rifle, and as you mentioned, it's hard to get an 870 broken down to the necessary size.  I thought about a Keltec SU or an AR, but then one runs into the whole semi-auto evil rifle thing again.  I'll be interested to hear how your Marlin takedown project turns out.

Outstanding podcast, as always.  And thanks again for being responsive to your listeners.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk