Author Topic: Ruger SR9 hmmmm  (Read 7137 times)

SlideRacker

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger SR9 hmmmm
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »
Ok, my local shop got in a few SR9s, and I stopped in to have a look. These are very nice guns. The feel in my hand wasn't a 1911, but it was a good fit. My gun guy let me change the back strap, and that made a big improvement. For a high cap. I am not sure you could find a slimmer grip. The sights were way off on each one. At least they had better been off because I had to hold the gun crooked to line them up. The ejector is the only thing remotely like any other Ruger. I did not care for the goofy loaded chamber indicator, and the trigger seems a bit stubby and straight for a striker fire. The trigger was good for what it is; not at all what I had feared.
The price on these was 450, and I damn near brought one home; however, he had also just got a shippment of factory rebuild Glock 22 .40 cals. The Glocks came with three new high cap mags, and the price was the same as the Ruger. I was in such a state of anks that I didn't get either one. I came home to ponder over it. I am no closer to makeing up my mind after four days of "back and forth".

Yours truely,
RugaGlocked

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
Re: Ruger SR9 hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
If it feels good....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
If you have a Glock already, try something different. Diversify!
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »
Boy! Don't I know that feeling.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »
Yeah Slideracker, I had the same problem at the gun shop. I was all geared up for the SR9 and after having a feel of it, I wound up with the Springer XD9. I liked that one so much I went back a week later and got the XD45 Tactical. Both shoot really well and are very accurate. Especially the XD9 with the 3" barrel. Really surprised me. First time out with it at 25' I held a 5" group. That grouping gets smaller every time I shoot it. The lighting at the range and my glasses just don't agree or something. The sights go fuzzy on me. I'm sure that has an effect downrange. Outdoors, no problem. Weird ???.

Back to the SR9; The action just felt rough to me. I've heard it smooths out after a couple hundred rounds pass through it. First impressions mean everything to me though. But that's just me.

However, I have a Glock 19 I wouldn't trade for the world. It was a factory rebuild also. I just love it. Only thing is, I can't put the last round in the high cap magazine or it won't feed. I have 6 hicaps and it's the same for every one. So I just short the magazine that one round and all is good. Hard to go wrong with a Glock. I just rather have the 9mm than the .40.
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:02:50 AM »

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
Boy oh boy we all go through that state of mind, I had a bad experience with a NEW .45 (can't say which one) that was a cheapey and 20 rounds later the back half of the slide smacks me in the mouth! Oweee Oweee Owee! Well I started to look at something that I did nit have to do a lot if  any work on and 2 1/2 years later ( believe me that a lot of pennies) I narrowed it down to a Kimber or a Para and it still took me six months to decide on which one, got the Kimber cause the gun shop was having a hard time getting a Para with night sights.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
Boy oh boy we all go through that state of mind, I had a bad experience with a NEW .45 (can't say which one) that was a cheapey and 20 rounds later the back half of the slide smacks me in the mouth! Oweee Oweee Owee! Well I started to look at something that I did nit have to do a lot if  any work on and 2 1/2 years later ( believe me that a lot of pennies) I narrowed it down to a Kimber or a Para and it still took me six months to decide on which one, got the Kimber cause the gun shop was having a hard time getting a Para with night sights.
Personally I think it would be quite helpful if you COULD say which one it was. Hate for someone else to go through the same thing.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

seafarer12

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
I would wait till the SR9 has been out for awhile before I thought about buying one. I know they have gotten at least one bad review so far. Might need to wait till they get all the bugs worked out.

SlideRacker

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
Still RugaGlocked............ :-[   new stricker design or proven Glock.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The only way out is get both, but my wife..........................shhhh, here she comes.

Scottvernonholdings

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
I will pick my SR9 Tuesday.  I am interested in how it will function next to by 9mm Kimber 1911.  The 1911 is extremely durable and an all around great gun.  With everything that I have seen thus far on the SR9, it should be pretty cool. 

I live in Maryland.  I read on Ruger's website that the high cap is illegal.  Does Maryland fall under one of these states? 

I should have asked the store.  I would prefer the high cap, but would be alright with the standard.

-Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk