Author Topic: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people  (Read 4765 times)

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:28:28 PM »
This is an interesting article about who has guns in private hands world wide
India is second behind the US in total guns  On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States
Jon

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-08-28T174254Z_01_L28348938_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage2

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
That right there is something to be proud of!!! ;D
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
Lets see.. that would be 9 guns for the first 10, and then zero for the 90 after that.. :)  Of course in Montana if you don't have at least 4 there is something wrong.. :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

ponyexpress

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
Yea, us! I would have never guessed India or China placing so high on the list.

normal

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »
I'm doing everything that I can to keep up my end! ;D Of course, I know very few gun owners that have just 1 gun. I have seen plenty of people on various forums post pictures of their guns, and I do mean pictures-plural. That's because they have so many that it takes several pictures to fit them all in. Every stat has various factors that are not represented. The fact that there is 90 guns per 100 people does not mean that 90 out of every 100 people have guns.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:41:21 AM »

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
That is an interesting bit of information. Thanks for sharing.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:36:26 AM »
Neat thing about numbers is that they can  be interpreted in many ways, and they can be twisted to say what you want to say.  My first thought was WOW - 90% gun ownership.  Then I remembered that my gunroom covers an awful lot of people.  Second thought was that I'm covering up for a lot of "anti's."

I wonder if we could somehow put this into a perspective like has been done in the area of hunting.  I don't have my instructor info close at hand, but the rounded version is that 10% of the Nation's population is pro-hunting (whether they actually participate or not), 10% is anti-hunting, and 80% has no firm stance.  That 80% is being constantly influenced by campaigns from both sides that are trying to get their support.  The best promotion for hunting rights is not the reams of printed information or miles of video tape produced, but rather the actions of hunters and how we care for the areas we hunt in, the way we respect the animals we hunt, and the way we act in public.

Just as becoming a Firearms Safety and Hunter's Education instructor has changed some of the t-shirts and bumper stickers I used to find funny (I still find them funny, but I am more aware of the message they send to a public that does not understand).  In the same way I have adjusted my gun ownership.  Even though I don't mix alcohol and shooting, I am careful to not send a message that I might.  I don't have my targets and spent casings intermixed with empty beer cans in the back of the pick-up.  Slogans like "Nine out of ten voices in my head told me to stay home and clean my guns today," "This is your brain and this is your brain on hollow points" (you know the one with the prairie dog), and "Some people just need to be shot" all carry a humorous message in the right context, but what do the 80% think.  I proudly have "NRA Life Member" displayed on my truck and some of my apparel, I do have some gun, and shooting and hunting logos on some of my stuff, but it all pretty neutral stuff.

Ignorant life used to be so much more fun.  Now knowing the 10%/10%/80% split makes me think more and more about how I do things.  I don't change what I say or do, but I make sure to know my "audience" and adjust the presentation to who I am with.  Just like Tom Knapp represents Bennelli and shotgun sports, Jerry Miculek represents S&W and revolver shooting, and Rob Leatham represents Springfield and IPSC when they are in public, we all represent hunters, sport shooters and gun owners when we can be recognized as such by others.  We all need to project a positive image to the "80%" whenever possible.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Fuzzy

• Forum Member
    • Westfield Sprotsmans Club
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »
m58, Well said!!
We are all representatives of our sport.
And we don't need to make that 80% lean the other way.
"THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS"

tumblebug

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »
                                                 AMEN

brothers & sisters

STILL LURKING                                                                                      STILL LURKING

leatherman92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
im keep'in up my end. :)
One riot,one redneck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk