Author Topic: Ruger SR9 Thumb Safety "Extendable"???  (Read 7117 times)

Kettlebelly Slim

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger SR9 Thumb Safety "Extendable"???
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:20:49 AM »
Michael,

Great coverage of the new product launch!  I've only seen the new Ruger SR9 here at DRTV, so I haven't held one yet.  But I do see one thing that bothers me: 

The new SR9's thumb safety looks like a generally good thing, in keeping with the other efforts to mimic the 1911's ergonomics.  However, it appears to be placed so far to the rear that it could only be engaged by the thumb while drawing from the holster.  It looks as if it's too far back to have the thumb ride on it "On-Oafe" while in a "Ready Position" - in order to stay on-safe until a target has been identified and a decision has been made to disengage the safety and shoot. 

Also, this SR9 thumb-safety appears to be too far back and too high to have the thumb ride on it WHILE shooting with a "high thumb" grip.  The "high thumb" grip with the thumb riding the thumb-safety actually wedges the web of the hand as high up on the back-strap as it can go - under the "beavertail" area.  The high grip is one key to rapid recoil-recovery (as an asside, a high grip is impossibe with all modern SIG pistols, and my only serious gripe with SIG - they have a very high bore-line).  30 years ago, some of the IPSC Masters shot 1911's with a low thumb, but not any more.  It just doesn't work as well.

If the current Ruger SR9 thumb safety can be extended forward into a flat paddle for the thumb to ride on, it appears that it would permit a proper "high thumb" grip. 

Can you tell if the safety is made of a casting, or is it stamped sheet metal?  If it's cast, it can probably be extended (or replaced with a new casting in an extended configuration).  This might be worth discussing with Wayne Novak, if you can convince him to give it a "going over."

Cheers!
- KBS

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger SR9 Thumb Safety "Extendable"???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »
I saw the SR9 at Yellowstone Gateway Sports in Montana on Saturday.

I thought it was a nice gun, like the 345, but the safety did seem too far back and too hard to take off on the one I saw.

I am not convinced that the striker fired pistol is the way to go. I like my SIGs and have been playing with the XD45 in league. I am a long time 1911 user but now I like the traditional DA for the second strike on the round.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »
Wayne Novak would be my choice to modify the safety.  Too many years ago to think about he fabricated a special thumb safety for my 1911 (he moved the shelf back) so that my stubby thumb could work it and use it for the high thumb grip.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

bdog488

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
I just looked at mine and the safety is stamped sheet metal. I also thought it looked like it was to far back , but after working with it a little I can put it on or off with out changing my grip at all. Ive had mine for all of 24hrs.

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:49:39 AM »
The safety lever fits in a little niche in the frame. If you extend it, it's going to require a change in shape, a dogleg up and/or out, and/or some relieving on the frame.

I know what you mean, but after a few swipes, I'm not having any problems w it as is.

It's a good gun. All it needs to be a great gun is a better trigger, safety, and easier to load/release mags. ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:13:18 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk