Author Topic: Oregon teacher ruling.  (Read 2345 times)

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oregon teacher ruling.
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:32 PM »
Teacher Shirley Katz has lost her bid to carry her firearm to school.  The Medford Oregon judge ignored state law and the state constitution in his ruling, saying that school policy trumps law.  The case will be appealed.

Here's the ruling.
http://www.ojd.state.or.us/jac/documents/Katz%20v.%20Medford%20School%20District%20549C.pdf

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

camacho

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Oregon teacher ruling.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »
It is rather unfortunate that she lost the case, but I hope she wins on appeal!

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »
Here’s what the Oregon Constitution has to say about guns;
Section 27. The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

Here’s what Oregon State Statutes says about carrying firearms on school property; (edited for brevity)
166.370 (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building [including schools], shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(statute reference: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html )

Looking at the law, the judge decided that school district policy trumps law. (?)

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:27:25 PM »
Here’s what Oregon State Statutes says about carrying firearms on school property; (edited for brevity)
166.370 (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building [including schools], shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
There is a perfect example of my theory of "Legislate in one hand and crap in the other...."
Does that mean that they consider a firearm a DANGEROUS WEAPON or are they talking about anything that has been USED as a DANGEROUS WEAPON. I guess they don't teach English in law school.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »
I wish she would have won. Studies for others places around the globe show that in areas where teachers can carry guns... school shootings are just about 0%. I hope somebody is taking notes...   :-\

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:38:51 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk