Author Topic: Taurus PT1911  (Read 8151 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taurus PT1911
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »
So after nearly a year of carrying my beloved PT1911 I have finally decided to start looking into a new ammunition to carry in it. I've been using Hyrdashok from Federal forever and now I am wanting to migrate over to Hornady TAP FPD thanks to the good things I've heard. However TAP FPD .45 only comes in +P. Taurus is not to forthcoming as to whether or not this gun can handle +P. So my question to all of you smart people out there is CAN IT TAKE IT?! Michael B I know you are som what of a fan of this 1911 maybe you know what I should do?

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
Re: Taurus PT1911
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
 well if Taurus won't tell you that should say something, Ive wondered about their 1911 and have not heard anything about it . How do you like yours? I've had friends that had taurus revolvers and were not happy with them or their customer service so I am a little Leary of putting down my hard earned money.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

speckfise721

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »
buy a kimber    ;)

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
If they won't come right out and say it will take +P I'd be leary of shooting +P in it.  That said I have been looking at he PT1911 too.  Sure I'd love a Para, STI, or Springfield but I just don't have the $1000-1200 to get one.  I would be less worried about customer service unless it was a really screwed up gun.   I have gotten pretty good at pulling apart my IMI 1911 clone and fixing most of the problems and replacing parts.  For ammo I use Federal Personal Protection (Hydrashock), and Speer Gold Dot for protection, and Winchester white box for pratice.

I saw the greatest shirt the other day:
Kimbers you show friends
Glocks you show bad guys
 ;D
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Burt Gummer

• Meat Popsicle
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
Just do like most folks do,shoot hardball for practice and a reasonable amount of your favorite HP for reliability and accuracy confirmation and voila!
I would vote against buying a 1k rd case of +p and shooting til your hands bleed. :o
Make the world a better place...punch a hippie in the face.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:40:37 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »
Expanding full metal jacket from Federal to carry.  It looks similar to ball, but expands to nearly 3/4" on impact.  The 45 expanding full metal jacket works well according the hired guns I know...so that's what I use.  Doesn't work as well in the .40 and 9 MM.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 11:33:32 AM »
Expanding full metal jacket from Federal to carry.  It looks similar to ball, but expands to nearly 3/4" on impact.  The 45 expanding full metal jacket works well according the hired guns I know...so that's what I use.  Doesn't work as well in the .40 and 9 MM.

Same bullet in my 45 at home. I've never shot anyone, but I have been told that they perform better than hollow point because a hollow point is designed to fill with flesh and expand, but they often fill with cloth, leather, etc., and don't expand as much as anticipated. 
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

jc451911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
About a year and a half ago, I found a new round for my .45, which should be excellent! Federal's Tactical HST. It is a 230gr. Standard and plus P loading. It is the only load I will carry in my Springfield now. It shoots as well as anything I have put through the gun. As a BIG bonus, it regularly expands to a minimum of .90" caliber. I've pulled them out as large as 1.1" out of water and wet news print.  Std. vs Plus P, Who cares, they both leave big holes! Just ask the possums and coyotes  around here!!

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
About a year and a half ago, I found a new round for my .45, which should be excellent! Federal's Tactical HST. It is a 230gr. Standard and plus P loading. It is the only load I will carry in my Springfield now. It shoots as well as anything I have put through the gun. As a BIG bonus, it regularly expands to a minimum of .90" caliber. I've pulled them out as large as 1.1" out of water and wet news print.  Std. vs Plus P, Who cares, they both leave big holes! Just ask the possums and coyotes  around here!!

do you have a part or SKU #?    ???

Tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

jc451911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »
Sure do! Sorry I didn't include this earlier. It is P45HST2(Std. 230gr. HSTHP) and P45HST1(+P 230gr.HSTHP).
Also, here is link to Federal. There are several comparisions conductded by LE agencies with help from ATK/Speer/Federal. Quite informative.
Hope it helps!

http://www.le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk