Author Topic: How Does Cable TV Find All Of These Crappy Movies ?  (Read 17847 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
How Does Cable TV Find All Of These Crappy Movies ?
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but my cable TV STINKS! I'm paying $178.00 a month for a "bundle", (TV, high speed Internet, land line phone). My phone and Internet service is OK, but my cable sucks. And I've got an upgraded package. It still stinks on ice. The same damn movies over and over. Or else they're some unheard of POS I can't stand to watch for 5 minutes before I start flipping.

How about you guys? I've thought of switching to Dish Network, but I have heard from people that is no better. 40 years ago it was free, and there was always something good on with fewer commercials. Now, you can't even get the weather on "The Weather Channel" any more. Every time I turn it on they've got some stupid rerun of "Storm Stories", or some such crap. I'm really noticing it now that I'm retired. There point blank isn't $h!t on. Oh well, rant over.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
Re: How Does Cable TV Find All Of These Crappy Movies ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »
Which came first, stupid entertainment dumbing down Americans, or dumb Americans demanding sensationalism that blurs news and entertainment?

Either way, it is all about profit, and we are stupid enough to pay for the right to watch the advertisements that broadcasters make money off of already.

Last night I spent ten minutes and watched DishTV's side of the FOX issue.  Later in the evening I thought of the paradox in our systems.  In entertainment the retailer, cable and satalite providers, pay the wholesaler for the right to broadcast their product.  However, in grocery stores, fuel stops, and many big box stores the product provider pays for shelf space.  Image what our choices would look like if we only paid for stations without commercials, and everything else was free or even subsidized the overall system.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »
Bill, it's based on viewer surveys.
They ask the opinions of the same people who elected, and reelected Obama.
The result is about what you would expect.
If you want to watch Fox don't switch to Dish, they are currently not carrying it.

M58, it was the demand for sensationalism that came first, I refer you to the sinking of the USS Maine in Havana and the Spanish American war.
The sad fact is that most of the population are just to darn stupid to be capable of the type of self government envisioned by the founding fathers.
Always have been, probably always will be.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
If you want to watch Fox don't switch to Dish, they are currently not carrying it.

I wonder what brainchild made that decision?

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Contract dispute between Fox and Dish network.
Although it IS convenient that the only dissenting voice from the "Obama is the chosen one "chorus is the one they stop carrying.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:11:41 AM »

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Back in Oct. or Nov. All turner broadcast show including CNN were off the air for about 2 weeks.

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:57:37 AM »
Fox will be back on Dish, they are just arguing about money. As far as between cable and Dish, Dish is the only choice. I had cable when I lived in central Phx and all the channels below 9 were full of snow and ghosts, cable company said it was low signal issues. I switched to Dish, perfect picture, as long as you have power, you have Dish, you can even take it into the middle of nowhere, prop up a antenna and watch HBO if that is what trips your trigger.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »
Bill,

You may want to invest about 70-100 bucks into a "streaming" device for movies.  Redbox charges less than 10 bucks a month to stream 10's of thousands of movies, lots free, some rentals and the monthly fee also gets you 4 rentals from their kiosks.

There are dozens of streaming services available.  Most new Blueray players have a streaming wifi built into them.

I have Comcast and it sucks too...Charter sucks, DirectTV was a ripoff and that's about all that's available in my town.

I used Redbox and my kid lets me use her Netflix and Hulu accounts.  It's hit or miss but between the three I have far more available than just the crap on cable.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
SyFy channel has crappy movies daily that I never watch but other channels have better movies. I checked tvguide.com to see what's new tonight and there's not a single show I'm interested in. I watched a movie online today and will likely watch another one tonight since nothing is on. First I need to check the schedule for prime time for movies I haven't seen yet.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
Hey, with SONS OF ANARCHY wrapped up there's nothing to look forward to until JUSTIFIED next week..

EXCEPT FOR SHOOTING GALLERY AND THE BEST DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk