Author Topic: 1911 TIme! Which one?  (Read 9142 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: 1911 TIme! Which one?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »
This is my Ruger SR-1911 in matte Stainless. I've always liked the black contrasting parts with the Stainless.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Springfield yet. So I will.  While I don't own a 1911, and never have, I have friends that do and the last one I shot was a Springfield Stainless Steel Loaded Model.  Trigger was awesome, I'm used to my XDM/XDS triggers but still, broke like glass and shot great.  The TRP model is legend among most of the 1911 guys I've conversed with over the last few years (2011 I was considering buying a 1911 and talked to quite a few people about what to get).
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »
If you want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a big name go with any of those others.
If you are looking for a well made dependable GI or Series 70 1911 single or double stack, 38 Super, 45 ,9mm or 10 mm made in the US go with Rock Island.

GEvens

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 07:15:53 AM »
If you want looks, go for the Ruger SR1911 or a nickel-plated Colt.  If you want practical functionality, you can't beat the new Colt Competition 1911, especially in 9mm.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:55 AM »
I've also seen polished Stainless Steel Colt Government Models. Albeit they're hard to come by, and expensive when you do. Cimarron also makes a polished nickel 1911 that's reasonably priced. I believe it's manufactured for them by Rock Island Armory with their name on it.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-nickel.html

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:12:12 PM »

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:56 AM »
If you like Kimber, look at their TLE II. It is not shiny, but shoots good. They can be had for under a grand.
I had one for about 1500 rounds, shooting great, and then some unknown person now has it somewhere.
It got stolen out of of my truck.  They eventually did catch the guy, and he admitted to the police that he took it, and sold it 2 days later. He was a convicted felon at the time.
Enough of that, But I do have 2 grand raptor 2's now, and they shoot great. With a replaceable bushing from Brownell's the barrels are very snug at lockup.
Ruger makes a good one. I personally have no experience with Smith semi's.
As far as .45 caliber, I also have a Springfield XDM match 5.25 barrel that is a very good but with a large frame.  Had to do a trigger job, but worth it.  It does not have the bushing for the barrel, and made in Croatia.  But shoots as well as I can. Good knock around pistol. But not 1911 frame.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
All my 1911's are Colts save for one which is a Loaded Springfield black stainless. I love the SA, very accurate and very reliable. I had it over ten years and would buy another, funds permitting.

I had a Rock Island I got in a trade with one of my son's and sold it...it worked flawlessly and reminded me of the old GI Colts and I do wish I had it back.

I've heard several guys who know pistols say that the once-great Kimbers are not the high quality they used to be. YMMV

Colt...what can I say?
Colt 1911's have my heart when it comes to pistols....I have both the Series 70 and Series 80 and while the 70 trigger is easier to tune, I have a stock 80 with a smooth trigger and one that I tuned that feels every bit as crisp and smooth as the 70.
Colt went through a quality slump themselves, but from what I've seen and heard, they are back in the game big time. I really want an old Ser. 70 LW Commander but they are like hens teeth on the market from what I understand. A Defender would be nice as well.

All that being said, I've heard good things about the Rugers, and wouldn't mind having one of their versions of the Light Commander.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »
I'm partial to the duo-tone guns.  I love my sig c3, it's every bit as good in fit and finish as every kimber I've ever held.  The action is TIGHT and it's more accurate than my eyes will allow.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

djk5279

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »
I have a Ruger SR1911 and it is FANTASTIC for a production 1911 at around $700 or maybe a little less.  I also have a RIA tactical in 9mm that I paid a little under $500.  Both function flawlessly but the Ruger is better in looks/fit and finish.  The Springfield Range Officer is also great value.  If you want to spend just a little over $1k, like $1100ish, the Colt Combat Elite is a sweet pistol.  But if it were me I would buy the Dan Wesson Heritage 1911.  They can be had for around $1100, and currently come in a few different finish options other than the polished ss.  It is their entry level model without expensive bells and whistles, but it is a fully american made, no mim parts, totally hand fit, all steel 1911.  They are rock solid fit/finish and barrel/bushibg/slide lockup.  That will be my next competition 1911 when my ruger gets retired.  Good luck, there are great options available in your price range.  Do yourself a favor and look at the Dan Wesson. You will not regret it.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »
All good advice guys. I've realized that it's going to be a range gun and also that I'm looking for the name. I've got a Colt Gold Cup Trophy coming in hopefully this week.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk