Author Topic: Loaded For Bear. Well, Almost, Kinda, Sorta...  (Read 834 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Loaded For Bear. Well, Almost, Kinda, Sorta...
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:03:24 PM »
I got some better ammo to use in my .45 ACP pistols when I set my tent up just off  the beaten path the bears use on my friend's property. Whether I use the MechTech CCU or just my 5" pistol, these would be a huge improvement over the various self-defense hollow-points I normally use. I don't use regular ball ammo for more penetration because I don't think it has enough power. DoubleTap .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ-FP at 1,000 fps. That's the same velocity as a 185 gr. bullet in Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester Silvertip ammo, which only give you 411 ft.-lbs. It says 950 fps on DoubleTap's site, but 1,000 on the box, and 1,000 at Detroit Ammo Co. where I bought it. They both say that it's 511 ft.-lbs. from a 5" barrel, 100 more than the Silvertip has been for decades. And it's a Nosler bullet, so it should be well built. It's not +P rated and should be safe for any .45 ACP in good condition. The ammo is $30.23 per box of 20 directly from DoubleTap, but only $22.99 a box from Detroit Ammo Company.

It shipped here from RSR in Texas, not DAC, but didn't take very long. RSR is a big distributor in Fort Worth that sells to dealers, and ships what dealers sell to customers. RSR also says 1,000 fps and 511 f t.-lbs. of energy at the muzzle of a 5" 1911. They and DAC both say The 230gr. FMJ-FP is a great woods load that is capable of cleanly taking deer and hogs. Safe from any 45ACP. If it'll take hogs, it'll put a hurt on a bear. From everything I've read about flat-nosed bullets (flat-point doesn't actually seem to make sense) they tend to keep going straight through your intended target, while round-nosed bullets will often veer off course. If a 300 pound black bear interrupts my sleep and I put a half pound or so of lead in its head and neck area, it should change the bear's disposition. A .45 caliber attitude adjustment in the night.

https://doubletapammo.com/products/45-acp-230gr-fmj-fp-20rds

https://detroitammoco.com/product/dbltap-45acp-230gr-fmj-fp-20-1000/

https://www.rsrgroup.com/product/DBT45A230FP
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
Re: Loaded For Bear. Well, Almost, Kinda, Sorta...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 09:16:54 AM »
I have had nothing but good ammo from DoubleTap.  My first order was for 10MM and the owner sent me a free higher weight spring for my Kimber...nice guy.  I recommend them highly.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Re: Loaded For Bear. Well, Almost, Kinda, Sorta...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 01:00:02 AM »
I have an extra-heavy spring I haven't installed in my 5" .45 yet, but will whenever I put t back together. It's a Wolff 20.0 pound variable weight spring. The standard spring for my Para-Ordnance is 18.0 pounds, although I believe every other manufacturer lists a lower weight. Wolff says, "The Para-Ordnance P14 & P16 use the same recoil spring as the Colt 1911 series. The P14 has a factory rating of 16 pounds. The P16 has a factory rating of 20 pounds." But the instructions that came with the 13+1 frame says, "An 18 lbs. recoil spring is provided to better protect the frame against the torturous impact of recoil. This spring must be replaced with an identical or similar spring when it loses its original resiliency and is no longer capable of offering proper protection." I normally run a Wolff XP variable 18.5 spring, or Wolff XP conventional 18.5 spring if the variable isn't in stock when I'm ready to order. But I buy so much +P ammo I'm putting the 20 lb. spring in to hopefully save some wear and tear on that poor old aluminum frame. This Double Tap ammo isn't +P, but it is Double Tap, so I know it's strong stuff. By the way, Wolff lists the Factory Standard 1911 recoil spring as 16.5 Lb in the variable power, 0.5 pounds heavier than the conventional spring. They don't make a 16 lb. variable spring.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk