Poll

What do you think of the Coronavirus outbreak in China?

A big deal for China.
0 (0%)
Not a big deal for China.
1 (7.1%)
Coming soon to a town you know.
2 (14.3%)
We won't have any problems in the US with it.
0 (0%)
Time to get prepared just in case.
2 (14.3%)
I am prepared for this Wuhan Chinese Flu.
6 (42.9%)
I am going to be ready if the US economy collapses in mid-April.
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 38994 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Coronavirus Outbreak
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:59 PM »
Well good news, the misses picked the spot i wanted too put the house on the property with out me saying a word.   Now i can start working on plans
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2020, 08:20:12 AM »
I think I posted this Google Map before, but if not, here it is. This is the site of Camp Raco, the first CCC camp in the state of Michigan. Nazi POWs were housed here and some other CCC camps during WWII, 1,098 POWs altogether. And 80 extremely disruptive and destructive conscientious objectors that were kicked out of other camps. "Their jobs were to help the Seney National Wildlife Refuge. Instead, they destroyed property, threatened the supervisors, polluted the water and stopped those who attempted to work. However, these men were allowed to attend movies, buy alcohol or meet up with girls in nearby Manistique." "Across the United States, there were about 375,000 German POWs at more than 655 camps. But despite these staggering numbers, sixty years after the fact, the story of their captivity remains largely untold." So some guy made a documentary about it that aired on PBS in 2004. I'll be looking for it online but may end up buying it.

My dad and some of his brothers and friends all went in on a piece of property just south of the CCC camp down the two track trails. If you scroll down to Clear Creek, the cabin sits on the edge of the ridge above it but I can never find it. I think it's just a bad angle for the satellite with so many trees. They each paid 1/8 of the taxes and had full use of the 80 acre property and cabin they built. My dad bought some of the other guys' shares later in their lives, and had some willed to him. Eventually he owned it all and divided ownership in thirds between me and my brothers. Thankfully he didn't actually give me two achers. Any time I got off work for holidays my older brother also got off since we both worked for GM. And using up to half of my vacation time during changeover each summer was mandatory. So if I went to the cabin my brother and his family were there too. Sometimes my younger brother went the same time we did, and my dad stayed there whenever he wanted to. There were 4 full-size beds in the cabin, and on one vacation everyone had a bed to sleep in except me. I had to sleep on the floor with my brother's dog for a week or two, or whatever it was. That s**t got old in a hurry, and since I couldn't get any real use out of the property I sold my share to my older brother. That would be a great place to self isolate. The only time you would see another person would be when you went to The Soo for groceries or gas.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/46%C2%B022'00.9%22N+84%C2%B044'23.1%22W/@46.3668802,-84.7397176,49m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x4d49e08d3290ab43:0x462cc627782dd8f0!2sRaco,+MI+49715!3b1!8m2!3d46.3755748!4d-84.7228352!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d46.3669077!4d-84.7397345
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Well good news, the misses picked the spot i wanted too put the house on the property with out me saying a word.   Now i can start working on plans

Good deal.   I am interested in the basement ideas you employ since I've never built one or had one.   I'm still going to call about the metal building one day when I get closer to building one.  I have some dozer work starting in a couple of weeks.  One of the projects is to cut down, level and fill a place for a metal building and give it at least 6 months to settle.

Wow, what a view. I'm imagining how much fun my friends and I would have if we were let loose on terrain like that on our ATVs.

It's Ozark National Forest.  They have restricted trails for ATV's.  I'm fortunate it borders most of the property.  I'm building on that slope with that view...the barn on the side is getting knocked down since it's inside part of the house footprint.  Whenever I get that far on down the road... 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
I would ride around in circles as long as I spent half the time going uphill. Most of the good hill climbs in Michigan are illegal and they're not worth risking a fine for. The trails aren't very hilly but sometimes I see hills next to the trail I'd like to tackle. Oh, well.

I got good news in my email an hour or two ago. I'm positively negative for COVID-19. :) I had a doctor's appointment over the phone Thursday and she told me where to get tested because I still have symptoms. Friday morning I went to my drive up test appointment at a Rite Aid in the suburbs and swabbed my nose for them to test. While I was doing that I got a message from Pulmonary Associates saying to call them after 8:30 Monday to set up an appointment. My doctor thinks I have bronchitis but it doesn't feel or sound like the bronchitis I had when I was the only one of four people working together who didn't smoke all day. The good news is I only have to drive 1.5 miles to see one of the 9 pulmonologists at this place, and I think I can even pronounce a few of their names. I have to go right past my preferred hospital on the way there. One of the good things about living where I do is being within walking distance of a hospital, but I had to call an ambulance once.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
Do it.  I would love to get some new ideas for the house we're going to build in Arkansas.

Nice view Rastus.

I hope to escape to the Big North Woods, or at least out to the country in a year or two.  I want a place with a small shop where I can pee off the front porch and shoot off the back porch with no neighbors close enough to be cranky about. 
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #145 on: Today at 07:05:42 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
<snip>
 I want a place with a small shop where I can pee off the front porch and shoot off the back porch with no neighbors close enough to be cranky about.

Exactly.  I'm there....finally.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:21 AM »
I called the pulmonologists' office and my doctor only referred me there for a sleep study. I could make an appointment to talk to one of the doctors over the phone, but why bother? They may start seeing people in the sleep lab in June. Or maybe not until fall, they don't know. Some of my neighbors and a bunch of their friends finally quit partying around 12:30 am. They were at it for hours and hours. Not a lot of social distancing among that bunch of urban blacks, but if they get sick, they'll be the ones complaining about how COVID-19 picks on them unfairly.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2020, 12:12:40 AM »
I went to the store to use some digital coupons because it was the last day they were good. There are still people going the wrong way down the one way aisles whenever I go. I should start coughing every time I walk past them. It's not like I would have to try very hard.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2020, 05:47:30 AM »
There is a lot to think about through this process.  Michael Bane has been one who has talked about this and the possible consequences.  This weekend I went to get tested - A requirement to return to the office rather than working from home.

As I sat in line at the testing center I had several thoughts, and not many good. 

Driver thru center opens at 0800, and they issue 750 tests per day
Arrive at 0540 (I was car 84 in line)
At 0755 the National Guard starts the prep of cars
        Phone numbers of each person receiving the test written on their window
        Number of people being tested written on the window
        Information sheets and instructions handed to occupants
At next station Driver License is held against the glass and all information is recorded
In the tent (six cars at a time through the tent)
         You are given detailed instructions on how to administer the test
         Swab is passed through the window
         Administer test on yourself (swab up nose, swirl, hold, other nostril, repeat)
         Pass swab back out to soldier
0904 Depart test center

Hundreds of vehicles all lined up in a lane marked by cones and barricades.  Little Lemmings doing the responsible thing for society.  As I sat there I had visions of rail cars, sealed concrete buildings, and big ovens.
The other day I was sent a photo from a friend.  It was a tripod with a giant copper cauldron suspended over a camp fire.  There were three couples in the pot.  The caption was about Social Scientists discussing how to convince society it was for their own good.

So many questions as to what is appropriate, what is stupid, how does the disease work in terms of transmission and immunity, are we curbing its power and slowing it, or are we just putting off the reality that must be faced.  I don't know the answers, and nobody does - Including the idiots in the media more intent on destroying certain people while promoting others.

Of all the questions over this mess we are in what I do know is that crisis brings out the stupid in society.  From those that respond in irrational manor, to those who follow and obey without a thought ... I wonder what the response of the National Guard and FEMA is if you go through the entire line, reach the tent, and then say "No thank you" to the Kool Aid"
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »
Be a good citizen.  Big Brother loves you....don't you know that?  Big Brother wants nothing but the best for you.  See Michigan and Maine...those loving governors want nothing but the best for you....don't you see that?  What Michigan and Maine are doing is well loved by all the good citizens.  You should be happy Big Brother wants to help you...from Big Brother all good things come.  Big Brother will get you food, a place to live and provide you with enough money so that you can live well...be appreciative.  You can even have a free phone...everything from Big Brother is free...don't you know that?

Thoughts like you expressed are dangerous...reject that foolish independence streak.  You are part of the greater good....don't you know that? 

Share that cauldron picture and quit talking about it....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk