Author Topic: Good Deal On Once Fired .223 Brass  (Read 10958 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Good Deal On Once Fired .223 Brass
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-305/%2810l%29-BLOW-OUT-SPECIAL/Detail?sfs=20323f18

I just ordered a 2,500 count box from this place. $110.00 including shipping. That's less than 4 1/2 cents a piece. It will take me some time to process it all, but it will be first class brass when I'm done.  Bill T.

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good Deal On Once Fired .223 Brass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
Just curious, how hard is the "crimped primer" to fix?

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
Just curious, how hard is the "crimped primer" to fix?  Brian

Not hard at all. It just depends on how fast you want to do it. I have a Dillon Super Swage 600 which makes fast, easy work of it. If your not in a hurry RCBS sells a press mounted tool that does a nice job, it just takes longer.  Bill T.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=447022

RCBS Tool

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600

Dillon Super Swage 600

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
or you can just buy a 1050 and it does it automaticly...   ;)

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:35:44 AM »
or you can just buy a 1050 and it does it automaticly.

You have no idea how much I fight my inner demons about getting one! My only issue is I'm really anal when it comes to reloads. With the 1050 you have to clean and lubricate your cases, then run them through the entire reloading process. You then have to clean the loaded rounds some way to remove all of the case lube.

My method is more involved, but results in a really nice finished cartridge. First off I'll full length resize and deprime with a small base resizing die. Then swage out all of the primer pockets. Then I trim to minimum overall length on my power trimmer. Lastly I tumble and clean in Stainless Steel Media. After that I'm ready to run them through the Dillon RL-450 minus the resizing die which results in very little press leverage because all I'm basically doing is seating primers and crimping bullets in place.

With all of that said, the 1050 still tempts me unmercifully. It's a hell of a machine. The problem with it, is if your reloading once fired brass, you have to interrupt the reloading process somewhere along the line to clean the cases, and then all of the blistering speed you paid for to get with the 1050 goes out the window. If you were reloading new brass, or else brass that was already prepped, nothing could touch it.  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:07:09 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:13 AM »
My record so far is 2014 rounds in 1 hour, using a kiss bullet feeder.( which helps alot, you do lose a slot, but thats no big deal.  there are more then enough lol)

That was 45 acp.   :P  I've only loaded about 30k rounds, on it.  I check every 25 case with a case gauge and wieght it to make sure its with in spec(will catch a double charged or no powder load)  No bs I spent more time loading primer tubes then I did anything else.  There is no up stroke with the 1050, which is very, very nice.

you do know several companys make a die that once set will mean you should not have to trim the cases.  you won't get match grade out of them, but you will get ammo that is good or better then any comparable comm'l load.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:00:20 AM »
you do know several companys make a die that once set will mean you should not have to trim the cases.  you won't get match grade out of them, but you will get ammo that is good or better then any comparable comm'l load.

I'm running an RCBS X-Die in 8 MM Mauser with good results. I usually only trim once with .223. I usually find that cases will generally start to split at the neck, or else exhibit some other form of deterioration causing me to toss them before a retrim is needed. Some of the better annealed Lake City brass will last long enough for a second trim, but it's rare. Maybe it's me, but I'm finding that brass today doesn't last as long as brass did 30 years ago, especially in the pistol calibers.

If I do go the 1050 route it will most likely be in a pistol caliber like 9 MM as soon as I accumulate enough brass. That way I can clean the cases after firing, then reload with Carbide Dies and no lube. Do you use the Dillon resizing die with the big radiused mouth, or do you go with a die that resizes down to the rim? A lot of my 9 MM goes through Glocks, and I would want to make sure it gets fully resized as far down the case as possible. I know the Dillon dies sacrifice some of this for smoother operation with the larger, radiused mouth for easy case entry, and less possibility of crushing a case because of improper line up.

I like the way the 1050 comes with a automatic case feeder, and very few add ons. With some of the other Dillon presses like the 650, you can damn near double the price if you purchase all of the options. When you add everything up, the 1050 is the better buy, all things considered.  Bill T.  

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:48:06 AM »
I use the dillon dyes, but I only reload 45 acp and 10 mm.

All of my brass is either win, rem of starline.      I'd say about 75% win, 15% rem and starline 10%

I only reload brass a few times, then I scrap it.  yeah I know I could get more out of it, I just choose not too.

45 acp brass is easy to find.  10 mm is harder, but still easy to find.

I don't reload 38 super, I should, but now that every one locally has moved on to 40 to make major, once fired 38 super is hard to find.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
My 2,500 rounds of once fired .223 brass arrived today from Brassman Brass. It actually came Saturday, (just 2 days after I ordered). All of it is in good shape, just a little dirty. I'm not going to Ultrasonically clean them because there are too many. I'll fire up the dishwasher and put them in zippered, mesh bags and run them through the "Pot Scrubber" cycle on super hot. I just want to get the surface dirt off of them before I run them through my resizing die. When I get them all prepped I'll tumble them in Stainless Steel Media until they're like new. It's a hell of a deal for $110.00 total shipped!  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
I put alot of stuff in the dishwasher...  I mean alot of stuff. 

Pro tip, don't let the lady of the house catch you doing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk