Author Topic: CCI #41 Mil-Spec Primers For 5.56 MM ?  (Read 4925 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
CCI #41 Mil-Spec Primers For 5.56 MM ?
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
Has anyone used these, and if so what kind of performance have you had with them? I ask because tomorrow I'm going to pick up a few thousand small rifle primers for reloading a batch of .223. I've heard the cups are very hard, and can cause misfires in some rifles. They are harder to prevent slam fires, but I've never heard of an AR-15 having a slam fire. A Ruger Mini 14 perhaps, but again I've never heard of any. Are these things a solution to a non existent problem, or is there a valid reason for their use? Thanks in advance, Bill T.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CCI #41 Mil-Spec Primers For 5.56 MM ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
Has anyone used these, and if so what kind of performance have you had with them? I ask because tomorrow I'm going to pick up a few thousand small rifle primers for reloading a batch of .223. I've heard the cups are very hard, and can cause misfires in some rifles. They are harder to prevent slam fires, but I've never heard of an AR-15 having a slam fire. A Ruger Mini 14 perhaps, but again I've never heard of any. Are these things a solution to a non existent problem, or is there a valid reason for their use? Thanks in advance, Bill T.

Bill, these are military type primers and are designed to be hard to over come slam fires. You don't hear of it often but the fireing pin in an AR is a floater with no return spring and some few are made a little long and can slam fire with soft primers (Federal come to mind). Personally I use Rem 7 1/2 'cause that's what the Sierra book called for and I had some on hand from a different caliber. The CCI 41 don't work well, I'm told, in most bolt actions but then slam fires won't be a problem there.

Have fun, Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: CCI #41 Mil-Spec Primers For 5.56 MM ?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »
That is pretty much the way I had it covered as well. Cabela's has standard CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers on sale for $19.95 @ 1,000. This morning I'm going to pick up 5,000. That's what I've used in the past, and have had very good luck with.  Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk