Author Topic: What Are Your Hopes ...  (Read 5427 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
What Are Your Hopes ...
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
... for the coming year?

Up here in the great white north we are experiencing the changing seasons, and it brings time to think, reflect, dream, and plan.  Summer shooting is over, winter leagues have not started, hunting is getting into full swing, and fishing is slow between soft and hard water seasons.

I am looking back at my last year, and years, of recreational and competitive shooting, and hunting, and looking to the future.

What are your hopes and dreams for the coming season and next twelve months in terms of shooting sports?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What Are Your Hopes ...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
sorry. here in the civilized part of the world (no snow) we don't have time to think about such things. you know, with the year round motorcycle riding and such we just take it one day at a time. ;)
deep
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
  • Make B Class in USPSA and Sharpshooter in IDPA
  • Place well (middle of the pack) at a higher-level Precision Rifle match
  • Start teaching CCW classes
  • Place well (middle of the pack or better) in a Tac Limited at a higher-level 3 Gun Match
  • Go hunting for the deer or turkey for the 1st time.
It's surprisingly hard to get into hunting as an adult male. If I were a chick, there's dozens of organizations out there that get women into hunting.

Guys? You either have to know someone who hunts (as opposed to going to the woods, drinks beer and calls it "hunting") and is willing to take you, or shell out $$ (or maybe $$$$$) for a guided hunt.

This is bullcrap. If I want to shoot USPSA, I show up at a match. Ditto with IDPA or any other shooting sport. Hunting? No way. I think right now, it'd be easier for me to become a Mason than it would be to become a hunter. :D
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
It just takes time and some money to get into hunting.  Time for doing some research on what to do and how to do it and time for in-field experience.  Don't expect to get anything your first year or two, but if you do, be happy.

You'll need a little money for some basic gear like the clothing, a call or two, and the right ammo but you don't need to buy everything you see.  Most of that crap is just bells and whistles.   

There aren't too many places in the world that you have access to free public land to hunt.  We're lucky here that we do.  Go out and see what happens.   
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »
It's surprisingly hard to get into hunting as an adult male. If I were a chick, there's dozens of organizations out there that get women into hunting.

Guys? You either have to know someone who hunts (as opposed to going to the woods, drinks beer and calls it "hunting") and is willing to take you, or shell out $$ (or maybe $$$$$) for a guided hunt.

I went through the same thing myself.  I started off doing small game on my own.  Just got a few books from the library and went to it.  Just recently I've moved on to deer hunting but haven't been successful yet but I still have loads of fun.  I don't have time to hunt all that often but every time I go I learn something new.

One of the cool things here in PA is that game commission has free hunting classes.  I took a turkey hunting class and it was almost all adults.  That's the next thing on my list.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:22:35 PM »

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Hi;

it has been years since I went out early in the morning to go hunting any type of wildlife. Yearly, I get a hunting licence to support the sport, but mainly lately the PA Game Commission requires a Hunting Licence or $30 permit to use the State Rifle Ranges.

I watched the TV Series "Dead Meat" and was interested in trying out some of those animals - just for the expierence, but have not shot anything yet.

My main focus these days is ammo and accessory buying. Having been involved in "prepping" the past 3 years - after buying some firearms for that - I am just building up my inventory of ammo.

I makes deliveries in this State and I bet that there are more "roadkills" of deer every year than hunters shooting deer. Usually after the 3rd day - all is quite and normal again.

fishing season is worse than Hunting season..

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Learn the habits of your quarry, in this case deer, While you are researching with books get into the woods and LOOK. compare what you are seeing in words with what you are seeing on the ground in the form of prints, turds, scrapes etc. The first year or 2 you hardly need to take a rifle as it is just weight to carry while you learn.
(Take it anyways as you MIGHT get lucky) be quiet, no electronics, learn to SEE, not just look, listen, deer are surprisingly noisy. In woods, you are darned unlikely to spot "a deer", you are more likely to spot a twitching ear or tail and then make out the deer from that. You do not have to wait for "deer season" either in order to practice your skills, the sport of "Deer Stalking involves simply finding deer and sneaking as close as possible.
If you master that the actual kill would be anti climatic if venison weren't so tasty.
As for gear, you don't need much, I've never used or seen used a call, or rattling, for actual hunting you will need Hunter orange (different States require different amounts, here just a hat is enough, other States require a vest) if you will be bow hunting or just stalking out side of hunting season camo is better.
You will want to wash your hunting clothes in unscented detergent . Many people I know then hang them in the smoke of Sweet fern, cedar, apple, or some other aromatic wood or brush , DO NOT use scented soap, shampoo, aftershave, or deodorant, deer have good noses . when you finally see a deer, or are approaching an area you think they are in always keep the wind from them toward you.
That's all that comes to me off the top of my head, and it only applies to lone hunting, there are other concerns if your state allows drives , such as not getting shot by your fellow hunters.
Another word on gear, if you want to still hunt from a stand, get it set up well before deer season so if they do see it they have time to get used to it, make sure it is secure and you have a good view.
One word on scent, many people use Doe urine or some other "attractant", DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR CLOTHES. Put it on a piece of rag stuck through your belt or some where else you can get rid of it quick.
In rutting season, if it smells like a doe a buck will try to mount it, even if it is funny looking.
Can't think of anything else right now. Have fun.  ;D

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
The first year or 2 you hardly need to take a rifle as it is just weight to carry while you learn.

That's what it it like for me right.   :)  However, yesterday I went out for our early anterless muzzleloader.  I did pretty well tracking and stalking a couple of deer.  But just my luck, both were bucks.  I even got within 10 yards of a real nice one.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
Tom, you wrote:

"One word on scent, many people use Doe urine or some other "attractant", DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR CLOTHES. Put it on a piece of rag stuck through your belt or some where else you can get rid of it quick.
In rutting season, if it smells like a doe a buck will try to mount it, even if it is funny looking."

You didn't say  "Don't ask me how I know", but I won't anyway   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »
Wasn't me.  ;D  Was an acquaintance of mine, and I wasn't there.
(I would have held him down for the buck, he was THAT KIND of acquaintance. He'd give you the shirt off his back, but you would want to strangle him with it. )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk